Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
There's a picture of this suit some pages back, but I realized I never put a full length shot of it here.

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

I said recently that i'm not buying so much. That i'm only buying pieces that are missing from my wardrobe. After this one, I fear that only grey flannel is missing.

Some/many of you will have seen this. I am, as Mr Nedward Flanders would say, Pickled Tink. I've been itching to get this suit off of [name edited out] (the seller) for a long time. We first talked about my buying this suit in 2005 or so. For various reasons, mostly down to my poor studenthood, the deal never came off. When i was in the position to buy the suit, [the seller] was unwilling to sell. A year passes and it is on eBay!! To get it for the opening bid is a bonus.

wht-suit-.jpg

bk

Creeping Past

One Too Many
That's not a jacket, it's an archetype! And a very beautiful one, too.

How does it feel to have the (imagined) end almost in sight? Do you feel you've achieved what you wanted?

Creeping Past said:
Phwoar!

I've just clocked the price.

Not a bad price, all in all. Significantly (approx 8X, on average) more than what i'm usually prepared to pay. But for special pieces … [huh] Some upcoming clearing of my wardrobe should take care of most of it.

White isn't too rare, but white gabardine is pretty scarce. Mostly you find linen or Palm Beach Cloth. And then mostly double breasted, in my experience.

The other suits i've bought from him have fit me nicelyso this should be grand. I'm really a 35S but i'm sure 36S will do just fine.

bk

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I hope that I can add to this thread soon. I've recently won three vintage suits and I'm waiting for their arrival. The first is black and dated 1939, the second is a brown with orange pinstripe three piece and the last suit is a grey pinstripe. All SB notch lapel. I believe that they are from the early to mid 40's. Perhaps the experts here can take a look and give opinions about the probable dating.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I just recieved this suit:

60e1_1.JPG

690f_1.JPG

6b85_1.JPG

No vents, working cuff buttons, metal zip fly (it was described as button, but it's not a problem), external brace buttons, very high fishtail back. The cuffs are a bit narrow in diameter, but not too narrow.

When he bought this suit, the original owner was about my height and chest size, but slimmer in the waist. Over time the seat and waist were let out, inserts were put in the waistcoat, and the waist of the jacket was let out. All this was done well, but I need to take in the seat before I can wear it comfortably. I'll probably take in the jacket waist at some point, and when I've lost enough weight the inserts in the waiscoat.

There is some mending that needs to be done, mainly on the linings and also a small tear on the bottom of one cuff. When I take out the waistcoat inserts I'm going to replace the lining, but it will be fine with a mending for now.

I've got it airing right now (there was a strong odor about it), but as soon as I've got it cleaned up and mended I'll post pictures of it on.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've been looking through the suit a bit more, and I've found another tag in the seam of the trousers. I'll post a pic of it, it's got a bit more on it, though not much that's legible.

I've found the trouser legs were taken in and tapered at some point, and there's a small tear in the (now) seam allowance on the inside right leg. The cuffs are only 8" laid flat now. I'm thinking of letting the legs back out, the original seam line is still visible, and the tear is small enough it should be easily mendable. Plus upon trying them on again, I'd really like a little more room around the ankles.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
That's a handsome suit Nick D. It looks like it's well worth the extra work to get it right. I've several vintage suits that I'm having a similar amount of work done to and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one going for a bit "renovation". Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe