Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
volatile said:
2149796600_5e8fd41236.jpg

I love the fabric in that suit--gorgeous. I like the black shirt--I think it makes the lighter colors pop nicely.

I adore the rose and my first impulse was to say ditch the pocket square and keep the flower. But on second thought I think the knot in you tie is large enough that it's competing. If the tie allows you to make a smaller knot I'd try that to see how it looks. I'll be interested to see what other folks say

Thesis statement in all this is that you look great.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
Just got in the suit today. :) I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Let's just say, the listing on eBay didn't do it justice and the material is actually darker than the pictures show.

Looking forward to it. It's a great looking suit.

volatile

A-List Customer
imoldfashioned said:
I love the fabric in that suit--gorgeous. I like the black shirt--I think it makes the lighter colors pop nicely.

I adore the rose and my first impulse was to say ditch the pocket square and keep the flower. But on second thought I think the knot in you tie is large enough that it's competing. If the tie allows you to make a smaller knot I'd try that to see how it looks. I'll be interested to see what other folks say

Thesis statement in all this is that you look great.

Oh yes... I tied a Full Windsor and it's a little broad... maybe a Half Windsor or a Four in Hand will calm things down a little. I had ordered a blue fedora for this outfit but it didn't arrive in time, and I'm kinda glad - I think that really would have pushed this from "outfit" into "costume".

Thanks for the compliments! I think I'll go with the black shirt..

george-melly.jpg

If it's good enough for George Melly...

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
volatile said:
Just throwing together my outfit for tomorrow night - it's silly, ostentatious and fun! This is just me throwing it all on over the black shirt I had on already; I had planned on a white shirt but I think black works OK. Thoughts?

The suit is a recent Ebay acquisition and could do with some tweaking - the sleeves and trews are a little long and the jacket a touch too wide, but it'll do for tomorrow night. It's slightly 70s looking, but I think it still hits the mark.

Thoughts on the tie and pocket square? Is the rose too much?

2149003935_64d82d25f8.jpg

2149796600_5e8fd41236.jpg

:eusa_clap

Jovan

Suspended
belmondo said:
Looks good. Lapels a bit too wide for my taste, and the double pleated pants will probably be the long pleated, full cut variety. Very 1950s though. Knowing you're a size 39 I'll keep you in mind when I decide to unload some of my vintage suits. I always like to keep my old clothes in cirulation.
The lapels are only 3.25" wide... that's about average even today. [huh] I like lapels as narrow as 2.75" or as wide as 4". It all depends on the cut, really. A lot of modern lapels don't have enough belly to really make it work, especially the peaks we're seeing come back on single breasteds. I don't usually like reversed pleats like that, but full cut pants work well on my physique and the suit as a whole has a great all-American '50s look to it. I need a bit of wideness to balance out my toothpicky frame, which is why I'm not a fan of that painted on look that's all the rage for suits now. The mind boggling part is that it's supposed to be for guys as skinny as me and David Bowie.

Thanks for keeping me in mind -- my shoulders are only about as wide as on a 39 though. I'm more of a 37/38" chest, but that'll probably change a bit when I start working out with my housemate. Let me know what you have. :)

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Thanks

Cookie and Feraud,

I appreciate the compliments, and will post pictures when it arrives.

Cookie, as for a mate I am in the market for a nice vintage grey tweed or chocolate brown gabardine suit. I've always wanted a tweed, for those days when I just feel like being silly or British (Besides, none of my current outfits has my bowler fit into it with any sense of properness per se).

Feraud, I certainly hope the jacket is as cut as nice as it seems to be. But if it isn't no milk has been spilled to cry over. I have always admired suits from the 1940's for exhibiting such conservative masculinity, and I am proud to own one now.

Thanks again,

Bogie.

Paul de Weerd

New in Town
I'd like to show you my first suit. I have two suits now, but unfortunately no good pictures yet.

Please click on the picture for the large version.

This picture was taken at an aviation museum here in the Netherlands.
PS. The dogs are not mine and not that vintage[huh]

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
volatile said:
Oh yes... I tied a Full Windsor and it's a little broad... maybe a Half Windsor or a Four in Hand will calm things down a little.

The knot on that tie in the photo is about right for the period of the suit... if I'm not mistaking, it's a 70's suit... and they tied their knots wide!

So, either knot would work I think... by the way, the black and yellow are a good choice!;)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Paul de Weerd said:
I'd like to show you my first suit. I have two suits now, but unfortunately no good pictures yet.

Please click on the picture for the large version.

This picture was taken at an aviation museum here in the Netherlands.
PS. The dogs are not mine and not that vintage[huh]

Keep wearing the suits and people will start taking more pics of you.

Looks good.

Jovan

Suspended
50sflannel001.jpg

50sflannel002.jpg

50sflannel004.jpg

Please pardon the stoned expression...

And here we go on to the suit itself. The listing did not do it justice, as it made no mention of:

-quarter lining
MVC-018F.jpg

-fob pocket and brace buttons, with slight split back
MVC-017F-1.jpg

Here's a few of the jacket hanging up so you can see the details.

MVC-015F-1.jpg

MVC-016F-1.jpg

One odd detail is the slightly bent arms. This isn't a bespoke job, so I wouldn't think it was made for a man who couldn't bend his arms back all the way. Does anyone have something like this on their suit, or is just an old time feature I never knew about?

jovantheun1337

Let me know what you think. :)

what do you mean by "bent arms"? You mean the curve from shoulder-elbow-wrist? If so, take a pic of youself side-on with no jacket. Your arm curves like this.

That outfit looks grand. But it would really glow with the introduction of brown. Jacket good length, but the legs a little short, no? I'm seeing sock.

bk

p.s. It's when looking at a suit like this that one sees what Armani was going for . . . and missed so badly far of the mark.

Jovan

Suspended
Yes, the trousers will be let down a tad... just enough to cover the top of the shoe yet still retain the no break look. I'm also going to let out the sleeves a bit. Most suits I've seen or worn have a straight sleeve is what I was talking about. I guess this is just better made?

The funny thing is, I've never actually touched the stuff my whole life. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe