Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Jerekson said:
I acquired this beauty from a fellow lounger, Mr. Rover.

Late 40's to early 50's vintage, I've since dated it to sometime 1946-48. Two-button double-breasted, navy blue with red plaid. Really beautiful pattern on this one.

It fits me great (at least, I think it does). However, I do notice that the pants are too long. I'll have to get them fixed.
They're really high waisted, which is fantastic...
The armholes are nice and high too, which is pleasant...

By the way, sorry about the sucky shirt/collar. It was the only one I had ready to go this morning.

Kev_portrait_26.png

Thanks Rover!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HOOORAAA!!! Very good! Just take up the pants a little, have a modest break in the crease and you'll be set!

I don't find the suit too baggy really, since it's a post war suit, it's designed to be a little "drapy" ;)

GOOD JOB! You're on your way kiddo!

Dagwood

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
Now, I have somethin' to say... in my eyes, the fit is wrong. That coat is small on you I'm afraid. The post war look was fuller, had more room... it's tight on you. And sorry to say, not very flattering. I have to pass up on many good items because of the same reason... too small!:(

Thanks for your feedback. Your input is always very much appreciated!! I can't say that I disagree with your observations...

I was probably swept up by the coat. It really is a very nice fabric. Must...learn...to...say...no!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Your first vintage suit

Bogie said:
Well, it took me a while, but I finally managed to get my first vintage suit. :D

I always wanted to have atleast one before the market went completely dry, it is going to need some altering though. Me being a 38R, I suspect the jacket would make a nice blanket until I trim it down a bit.

Despite e-bay fraud, It looks like the real McCoy, but even if it isn't, any day you get a suit under a hundred bucks is a good day by my standards.

Any thoughts fellas?

P.S. Feraud, it's blue.

Done good... shopped fine! A beauty..a few alterations ...but maybe not[huh] [huh] and now for its mate?

Jovan

Suspended
Rooster said:
Great buy, even though we don't know what you paid. I got a blue suit off the 'bay last summer of the same era. Killer suit that you just can't buy for ANY money today. Perfect fit, super material, Very high quality, all things you would have to pay over 1K for in today's world of suits.
Congrats, we must have pictures of you in it. :eusa_clap
It actually wasn't much a battle... I was the only bidder. I'm also a bit reluctant to post how much I paid because some members put a bit of a premium on how much one spends or how much vintage gear one accumulates. A certain member nearly left because of some PMs they received criticizing them in this respect. [huh]

Thanks for the kind words. It seems like it'll fit right if I just take in the trous a bit. :)

Feraud: I love the distinct lapels on that '50s/'60s? suit. Have you seen the movie Click? The future scenes had suits with lapels like that.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Forgotten Man said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HOOORAAA!!! Very good! Just take up the pants a little, have a modest break in the crease and you'll be set!

Hey, thanks alot. It's definitely a look that I like. Next time I wear the suit it will be paired with a brown hat.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
It actually wasn't much a battle... I was the only bidder. I'm also a bit reluctant to post how much I paid because some members put a bit of a premium on how much one spends or how much vintage gear one accumulates. A certain member nearly left because of some PMs they received criticizing them in this respect. [huh]

Thanks for the kind words. It seems like it'll fit right if I just take in the trous a bit. :)

Feraud: I love the distinct lapels on that '50s/'60s? suit. Have you seen the movie Click? The future scenes had suits with lapels like that.

Do you mean how litlte or how much?

I know some people tend to respect how much you pay for things.

But amongst the circles I move in, it tends to be bragging rights to the person who paid the least for something.

Rooster

Practically Family
Jovan said:

I guess I came across the wrong way....It's really none of our business how much you paid. I think I have $80 in my mid fifties blue suit and feel pretty good about it. No matter what the price, you won't find a new made suit that is better for less than 1K these days. Give me good vintage any day!
I say, Congrats again!:eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
Senator Jack said:
I didn't realize there's a problem with getting a deal. I just had my first great thrift shop haul in over a decade and I'm busting. 1950 Italian DB for $25 and that's just the start. Pics later.

Regards,

Senator Jack
I cannot wait to see the pics!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Rooster said:
I guess I came across the wrong way....It's really none of our business how much you paid. I think I have $80 in my mid fifties blue suit and feel pretty good about it. No matter what the price, you won't find a new made suit that is better for less than 1K these days. Give me good vintage any day!
I say, Congrats again!:eusa_clap

People like us get so wacky sometimes. A hundred bucks for a suit seems scandalous, but we think nothing of spending that amount for two new pairs of pants. And we forget we are getting a suit that would cost, yes, over a thousand for that kind of quality.

But hey, we couldn't have the wardrobes we have if we didn't act cheap sometimes. Besides that, to me bargains are half the fun.

Jovan

Suspended
Senator Jack said:
I didn't realize there's a problem with getting a deal. I just had my first great thrift shop haul in over a decade and I'm busting. 1950 Italian DB for $25 and that's just the start. Pics later.

Regards,

Senator Jack
I didn't either until I heard some of the nasty things that member was PMed.[huh]

Can't wait to see it.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
This place is about deals... Some of my favorite goods were paid for with less than $20.

I do run the gamut with having things made now and again though the $10 dollar pair of pants here and the $30 dollar 40's overcoat... that's why we collect the stuff!

Jovan

Suspended
Just got in the suit today. :) I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Let's just say, the listing on eBay didn't do it justice and the material is actually darker than the pictures show.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Dagwood said:
Thanks for your feedback. Your input is always very much appreciated!! I can't say that I disagree with your observations...

I was probably swept up by the coat. It really is a very nice fabric. Must...learn...to...say...no!

I've had to say no now and again... trust me, it's not easy but, if ya hold out for something that fits right, you'll fall in love with that item! ;)

Good luck, and you'll have it if it's 50's clothes you're lookin' for... they are easier to find then the earlier garments... and in larger sizes!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Jerekson said:
Hey, thanks alot. It's definitely a look that I like. Next time I wear the suit it will be paired with a brown hat.

You're welcome! I really do like that suit and look on ya, you pull it off!

May I suggest a gray hat... it's tricky to pair a brown hat with a blue suit as that... takes a very light brown/tan shade to pull it off right. I'd choose a cool gray fedora my self... just a suggestion.

belmondo

New in Town
Jovan said:
I just won this suit on the Auctions Site That Shall Not Be Named. My first vintage! Comments?

vintagenavysuit.jpg

I'll naturally post pics of me IN it when it arrives and I get the trousers taken in an inch.

Looks good. Lapels a bit too wide for my taste, and the double pleated pants will probably be the long pleated, full cut variety. Very 1950s though. Knowing you're a size 39 I'll keep you in mind when I decide to unload some of my vintage suits. I always like to keep my old clothes in cirulation.

volatile

A-List Customer
Just throwing together my outfit for tomorrow night - it's silly, ostentatious and fun! This is just me throwing it all on over the black shirt I had on already; I had planned on a white shirt but I think black works OK. Thoughts?

The suit is a recent Ebay acquisition and could do with some tweaking - the sleeves and trews are a little long and the jacket a touch too wide, but it'll do for tomorrow night. It's slightly 70s looking, but I think it still hits the mark.

Thoughts on the tie and pocket square? Is the rose too much?

2149003935_64d82d25f8.jpg

2149796600_5e8fd41236.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe