Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
When I was being measured, it occurred to me that a person with sloped shoulders might be able to request that this adjustment be made without lowering the bottom of the armhole correspondingly. I may have to try this next time. The only trouble would be that raising the armhole without adjusting the contour might not solve the problem.

Rooster

Practically Family
Here's a nifty orphaned DB jacket. It's dated 1941. Black fairly light weight wool. It's a ribbed material, hard to explain and I don't have a picture of it yet. It has 3 ribs then a flat area then three more ribs. The flat spot has a thin dark blue stripe down the middle of it. I love this jacket, It makes even me look like I have a waist! The pants are from a Japanese suit. The suit has two pair of pants. These pants are super! 1/2 lined and made from a nice heavy wool. They have a Hollywood waist with dropped loops. They aren't very high waisted, and the cuffs are pretty pegged, so I'm guessing they are a product of the 60's. The shoes are my 98 cent Allen Edmond wingtips.:p The tie is a 30's number from the recent cache of old ties I found. The hat is my trusty Stetson Royal Western. I wore this outfit last night to see "To Kill A Mockingbird" on the big screen. It was really windy when the photos were taken, so the trousers aren't draping as well as they could.
So, does all of this work well together?
41b.jpg

41c.jpg

GBR

One of the Regulars
Feng_Li said:
And may I say how fine it is to finally be able to post in this thread! :)

I'm very pleased with this suit. It's quite comfortable to wear buttoned while seated. I have only one real complaint:

Which should come as no surprise to anyone here. :-/

Critiques of the fit and any other suggestions are of course welcome. I have learned a great deal from reading this thread, and am very grateful to you all.

Both look good at a glance I will look more closely later.

Can you put pictures front and rear without the jacket please? A neglected view but it does show how the pants work for you.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Just Won These Two Suits on eBay

These are probably the two most expensive vintage suits I've bought on eBay, but they are worth it to me. After looking in my closet, I noticed that most of my stuff is really mid to late 40s and early 50s and I didn't have as much 30s. Out of my 12 or so suits, only 4 were 30s. So I figured I could invest some money in some really nice older suits...I got lucky that there were 2 suits around my size this week:

Dated 1939 in my size
gray2piecesuit.jpg

gray2piecesuit3.jpg

Dated 1926 in like a 36-38 so....I need alterations
pinstripe1926suit1.jpg

Ghost, when i saw that SBPL belt back grey stripe i thought all my dreams had come true. Then the price went up. A lovely suit indeed. I hope you enjoy. Grey stripe is one glaring gap in my wardrobe. Grey in general is missing from my wardrobe. I shall remedy that tomorrow with the purchase of a 30s British suit i've had my eye on in a store here for months and months. DB, which is a pity (trying to increase the SB proportion of my wardrobe), but it's lovely.

bk

cookie

I'll Lock Up
1930s DBs

reetpleat said:
So, it is about time I posted some of my suits. I will start with one that makes me very excited and happy becaue I thought I lost the pants. It is the finest and favoritest suit I have ever had. I got a spot on the pants nad set them aside for cleaning. then I did some house cleaning. I guess I took them out to my sister's with some other stuff for storage. But i forgot. I thought I had accidentally put them in a thrift store bag and given them away. I was so bummed, let me tell you.

Well, glad to report, I am once again intact. Thirties belted back cream gaberdine suit. Very rare, fit me perfecdt and is just amazing.

It has been a few years and I have gained some weight so I will need some alterations. But I am so happy.

I am sure you can understand my excitement.

I don't usually like to wear a straw hat, but I don't have any cream hat that will go. I don't like to go for a summer look as much as a hollywood, entertainer flashy look. Hence the black shirt.

sellfedoralounge083.jpg

sellfedoralounge080.jpg

sellfedoralounge086.jpg

sellfedoralounge085.jpg

sellfedoralounge087.jpg

sellfedoralounge084.jpg

Who wants to call their fave belt back DBs lapels? - "pointy" or "lazy peaks"

Reetpleat or Jake Gittes??? Please advise
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10865&highlight=gittes

slicedbread

A-List Customer
That belt back rover...if only i had the resources....! i'm about to post about two amazing suits that perhaps not many people have seen but me in the cold but sold thread...

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SB Peaked-lapel suit, tailored by Mario Valenti

I had this suit made by my tailor, Mario Valenti, about five years ago. I found the wool fabric in a fabric shop whilst on holidays in Adelaide, and knew it was perfect for this style of suit: a green-grey tweed with white flecks and a very light sky blue and khaki overplaid:

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

The jacket features a stitched-on belt that wraps right around the sides of the body, and has reverse darts on the front and back, in a design I saw in one of the suits worn by Eddie Nichols when Royal Crown Revue visited here some years back:

IMG_1027.jpg

Here's the view of the belt at the back with the reverse darts above it:

IMG_1029.jpg

The trousers were made with 24-inch knee measurements and 20 inches at the cuffs. One of my favourite suits, quite warm as it's heavy tweed and a great suit to wear in winter.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
I'm pretty sure eddie was wearing a Jorge Avalos suit.

I've seen that belt design before.

Suit looks great. do you have any pics of you wearing it?

None in which I look one-fiftieth as suave as the gent depicted in the picture Orgetorix posted! lol

Actually, I'll have to see if I've got any old pics I can scan, or else next time I wear it, I'll make sure the Mrs snaps some shots! The shoulder to waist ratio of the suit isn't as pronounced as it is in Jorge's suits, but now I've seen his work shown here on the Lounge, I would say it is very much in the style of his fine creations.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Just received what is perhaps the jacket of my dreams...Forgive the poor-ish pictures but I just have to brag

Website's pictures:

rjd6197a.jpg

I think that the lapels are incorrectly rolled

Here's my pics...AHH I LOVE THIS JACKET

ImportedPhotos00072.jpg

ImportedPhotos00078.jpg

ImportedPhotos00077.jpg

ImportedPhotos00076.jpg

ImportedPhotos00075.jpg

Lee M Roberts

Familiar Face
Here's my latest purchase. Ok its not really vintage and I dont wear it too well but it was a Christian Dior suit for £8 at a local charity shop I could'nt argue ;)

Its actually a grey pinstripe until I overdid the effects ;)

MyPicture-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe