Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott Leather Quality

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
I like Schott jackets - I have several 141s, brown, black and the "Easy Rider" Cafe Racer style and a 118 and a couple of 125 Perfecto. All are cowhide. I enjoy the 141s the best. The 118 and 125 are not well-engineered in my opinion. The side zip pockets are ridiculously small and not properly placed so that I have to really strain my arm to reach up to them and I can't even get my hand inside them comfortably. The belt on the 118 is just sort of funny they way it is attached at the sides - it just doesn't look right and the buckle itself is cheap and flimsy. I could/would never wear the Perfectos for actual motorcycle riding due to the short length and short sleeves and overall lack of real protection, but the 141's serve the purpose for casual sunny day riding and the Easy Rider is just flat-out iconic-cool. That being said I buy most of my jackets used and I am a difficult fit at 6'2" 255#. Schott tend to run small so be sure to get the right fit for what you want. Overall though I enjoy having them and would eventually like to add some HH models. If you can find one used at about 1/2 or less the retail price in good condition I would not hesitate. Cheers!

I bought a 118 perfecto, chiefly because they were one of the few options available in tall sizes without breaking the bank for a custom, and I'd have to agree with Jacket Addict about the pockets. Not too big of a deal though because the jacket is short enough to reach my jeans pockets easily, and that's where my keys and stuff live anyway. I am very happy with the quality of the leather though. My biggest beef with it is the thin little strip of leather sewn into the bottom of the lining. It has rolled out at the bottom and looks like the way one of those quilted lined flannel shirts looks after a few trips through the wash, when the cotton flannel has shrank but the nylon lining hasn't. I'd really like to get one of their naked cowhide peacoats one day, but a recent change in the employment situation has taken that off the table for right now.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I bought a 118 perfecto, chiefly because they were one of the few options available in tall sizes without breaking the bank for a custom, and I'd have to agree with Jacket Addict about the pockets. Not too big of a deal though because the jacket is short enough to reach my jeans pockets easily, and that's where my keys and stuff live anyway. I am very happy with the quality of the leather though. My biggest beef with it is the thin little strip of leather sewn into the bottom of the lining. It has rolled out at the bottom and looks like the way one of those quilted lined flannel shirts looks after a few trips through the wash, when the cotton flannel has shrank but the nylon lining hasn't. I'd really like to get one of their naked cowhide peacoats one day, but a recent change in the employment situation has taken that off the table for right now.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I can vouch for the peacoat, it's superb. I will say though, it is seriously oversized in the chest and at the same time you may find that the arms are too short. I got mine second hand so maybe the naked cowhide had been shrunk but although I am of average height and arm length I find the sleeves borderline short. They are about 24.25 inches while I prefer about 25 inches.

The look though, is impeccable, I get compliments on it all the time. Best thrift store find of my life, no doubt.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Well I handled my first Schott today. It was an old Pefecto. Size 44 that ran like a 40. Fit beautifully.
image.jpg
Sorry, kinda drunk
image.jpg

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Side note-the vendor mentioned having a bunch of original Grizzlys years ago he bought for some ridiculously low amount of money. He said they just sat in the shop at the time. How times have changed.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That's the CHP, right? Looks great!

Why not? Price tag?

Only $225. That's a fair price. Don't worry, the gent's store is nearby. No one will be buying a jacket here in SoCal for at least a few months..I have time. But I need it. NEED it!!

The Schott (or Perfecto brand rather) was the nicest of the bunch there. They also had several Excelled jackets there, which were recently kind of put down here, but those were pretty nice as well. A few Oakbrooks as well, and a no-named HEAVY pebbled moto jacket that was also great. No show-stoppers, but it was so cool to see a gathering of jackets. Chatted with the fellow who owned the shop...he knew Ken Calder, Gary Eastman and a few other dudes apparently. He told me "you sure know your stuff" lol

I thank the Lounge for that! Like I've always said, you stick around here long enough and you're awarded a Bachelor's degree in leather. Lol

The Schott was honestly the nicest one there IMO, besides that heavy one. Totally erases the anti-Schott propaganda when you see one in person. Very nice jacket.

Last edited:

Mark

Practically Family
May I take the opportunity to ask those in the know regarding a Perfect 618 on the bay. It is a 1970's black/brown colour, size 36" in excellent condition. I have been outbid at just short of a £100. Not sure if I want to continue bidding but kinda depends on what the going rate is or tends to be for this style of jacket? Got to say it looks really beautiful and will I imagine look good if I get wear it on my HD SuperLow. (When I get it that is.)

The Schott was honestly the nicest one there IMO, besides that heavy one. Totally erases the anti-Schott propaganda when you see one in person. Very nice jacket.

Told you so. When it comes to quality, they're as good as anyone else.

May I take the opportunity to ask those in the know regarding a Perfect 618 on the bay. It is a 1970's black/brown colour, size 36" in excellent condition. I have been outbid at just short of a £100. Not sure if I want to continue bidding but kinda depends on what the going rate is or tends to be for this style of jacket? Got to say it looks really beautiful and will I imagine look good if I get wear it on my HD SuperLow. (When I get it that is.)

They go for around £200, usually more, especially if the seller is from Europe. But yeah, 618 in a reasonable condition is priced at £200 or more. Anything below that is a good deal. Great deal at £100.

Mark

Practically Family
They go for around £200, usually more, especially if the seller is from Europe. But yeah, 618 in a reasonable condition is priced at £200 or more. Anything below that is a good deal. Great deal at £100.

Thanks Monitor, useful to know.

It's the one from the Penny_Bizarre seller, right? Looks great, and that one's a genuine vintage jacket, for a change but if you're looking for one to wear, I'd be wary.

Mark

Practically Family
It's the one from the Penny_Bizarre seller, right? Looks great, and that one's a genuine vintage jacket, for a change but if you're looking for one to wear, I'd be wary.

Hi, yes it's the one from Penny Bizarre. What do you mean Monitor by being wary? I'm wanting a Schott to wear on a bike yes. Are you saying it maybe too delicate for wearing? It does look good though, especially like the brown/faded areas coming through on the wear points.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi, yes it's the one from Penny Bizarre. What do you mean Monitor by being wary? I'm wanting a Schott to wear on a bike yes. Are you saying it maybe too delicate for wearing? It does look good though, especially like the brown/faded areas coming through on the wear points.

Personally i would not wear a vintage jacket on a bike! I wouldn't trust it...

Mark; What Carlos said. With any vintage leather jacket (or any other vintage garment, for that matter) you may end up dealing with a whole different set of issues than what you'd normally expect. It may be holding together, sure, and it looks good but this jacket is at least 40 years old and it's been through God knows what. The stitching might be falling apart at places or maybe it's just waiting for that one last rain for the leather to dry up and starts cracking... There could be rot somewhere inside the leather, mold, horrible odor or worse. It could be anything, really, and it's not worth the risk if you plan riding in this jacket. Good motorcycle jacket is something you'd want to invest into, trust me.

Schott jackets are as good as any for riding, just that I would invest into a newer 618.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks Carlos & Monitor. Sounds like sensible advice that I will take on board. Cheers.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Only $225. That's a fair price. Don't worry, the gent's store is nearby. No one will be buying a jacket here in SoCal for at least a few months..I have time. But I need it. NEED it!!

The Schott (or Perfecto brand rather) was the nicest of the bunch there. They also had several Excelled jackets there, which were recently kind of put down here, but those were pretty nice as well. A few Oakbrooks as well, and a no-named HEAVY pebbled moto jacket that was also great. No show-stoppers, but it was so cool to see a gathering of jackets. Chatted with the fellow who owned the shop...he knew Ken Calder, Gary Eastman and a few other dudes apparently. He told me "you sure know your stuff" lol

I thank the Lounge for that! Like I've always said, you stick around here long enough and you're awarded a Bachelor's degree in leather. Lol

I know how you feel. You need to get that jacket, though, because it suits you to the ground. It will be an unmeasureable loss to the coeds od So. Cal. if you don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe