Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott Leather Quality

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep sizes vary - I'm six two and have a wide arm span, my Japanese Schott has sleeves well long enough. But if you need more than 26 inches you need to go elsewhere,

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like the look of their car coat in lightweight cowhide (the black cherry is pretty good). How lightweight is lightweight in a Schott?

Their standard weight is 3oz so not light. Their lighter weight hide is 2.5 oz, perfect, a little thicker than medium weight HH. I have one in this and it's substantial.

lol Just that!? Haha yeah, it's the tag you're looking for, but there should be a number following the 'LOT'. I guess it got washed off or something. That's also indicative, though, if there's nothing else written on the tag. I'm fairly certain that the jacket is from the 70's, maybe very early 80's, but I doubt it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
lol Just that!? Haha yeah, it's the tag you're looking for, but there should be a number following the 'LOT'. I guess it got washed off or something. That's also indicative, though, if there's nothing else written on the tag. I'm fairly certain that the jacket is from the 70's, maybe very early 80's, but I doubt it.

Oh, and "Size 44". That's it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Hard to see, what's on the other side of the Schott tag, opposite to size no.? US flag?

On the size tag next to the main tag, the reversed side just reads "44". On the inside chest pocket tag, the reverse also says "LOT...size 44". Little of it is legible. I can vaguely see "leather care" and "new york", I think. No flag anywhere!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
image.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I just remembered I had a similar one to that for a couple of years in the mid-1980's it was 3.5oz steerhide. This style was huge over here in the 1980's and replaced the Indy Jones/distressed baggy A2 look. Are you happy with the look, Nick? I was never comfortable with the large biker collar style - I don't think it's me. It looked good on Kurt Russell. Probably why I've ended up with so many cafe racers.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick, excellent! What's the back like? Shoulder gussets?

It's missing a few of the belt loops (the owner was kind enough to include two of them in one of the pockets). Also has the stud near the neck. I assume a detachable collar went on there at one point. Also, we take side adjusters/buckles for granted here. The lacing is nearly useless.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774.9 KB · Views: 2,517
Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I just remembered I had a similar one to that for a couple of years in the mid-1980's it was 3.5oz steerhide. This style was huge over here in the 1980's and replaced the Indy Jones/distressed baggy A2 look. Are you happy with the look, Nick? I was never comfortable with the large biker collar style - I don't think it's me. It looked good on Kurt Russell. Probably why I've ended up with so many cafe racers.

I like the look. But I like almost everything. Tried a Brimaco cafe racer on over the weekend. I nearly bought that one as it was a great fit. I can totally understand your liking of cafe racers. Simple yet complex.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick, get the Brimaco CR! They're my favourites, next to the early Schott ones!

That's next, trust me.

At the store, they had several Lewis looking jackets (red lining). I didn't get a chance to look at all of the labels. One was a spitting image of a Lewis, (though I don't think it was a Lewis) but get this...someone sewed an Avirex patch on it. Now if it was an Avirex, count me surprised. Looked the part. I don't know how intoxicated a person would have to be to sew an Avirex patch on it, if it indeed wasn't an Avirex. They did some weird drugs in the 80s. lol

They also had a BEAUTIFUL jacket, which the lady thought might have been pigskin or some other hide. I'll have to take some pics next time. It was gorgeous. I'm not through with that place yet. :)

Last edited:
That's next, trust me.

At the store, they had several Lewis looking jackets (red lining). I didn't get a chance to look at all of the labels. One was a spitting image of a Lewis, (though I don't think it was a Lewis) but get this...someone sewed an Avirex patch on it. Now if it was an Avirex, count me surprised. Looked the part. I don't know how intoxicated a person would have to be to sew an Avirex patch on it, if it indeed wasn't an Avirex. They did some weird drugs in the 80s. lol

Something in the lines of Dominator??? :D Lol @ Avirex patch, but I've seen people doing this here, too. Avirex had a strong following in the 80's and 90's in Europe, for some reason. They still go for $800 here even though you could find the exact same jacket on eBay for like $100.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Something in the lines of Dominator??? :D Lol @ Avirex patch, but I've seen people doing this here, too. Avirex had a strong following in the 80's and 90's in Europe, for some reason. They still go for $800 here even though you could find the exact same jacket on eBay for like $100.

It looked more like a Lightning.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nick, the jacket is your bad inner self! Congrats. Now you have to grow your hair and beard out, get a Harley Sportster, and start calling yourself "Damon Dusk." (A Twilight Candleabra).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe