Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Well, reactions are often all across the board suitedcdboy. My one friend always compliments me when I'm wearing a hat. I've had several other people give compliments. My family thinks I'm crazy for spending so much money for "just a hat" :eusa_doh:. I haven't received any "inspector gadget" comments (thank goodness), but I have received the odd glance every once in a while.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago, when I started wearing hats, I got a few adverse comments and pointing/laughing by strangers. Now I only get it from my wife and most other people tend to say favorable things. Maybe I just don't hear the others, or maybe I've come of "age" (33). Who knows? I still enjoy 'em, and my oldest daughter is picking up on the habit. She's 10.

Incidentally, Marshall-- that grey one is a real beauty and you wear it well.

Nice collection you've got going, and a belated welcome, Swing Motor.

Alex

Practically Family
Well, reactions are often all across the board suitedcdboy. My one friend always compliments me when I'm wearing a hat. I've had several other people give compliments. My family thinks I'm crazy for spending so much money for "just a hat" :eusa_doh:. I haven't received any "inspector gadget" comments (thank goodness), but I have received the odd glance every once in a while.

You've described almost exactly how it is for me.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Great.
I agree with the others, Marshall the new lid looks terrific.
It may be different and odd to you but it really looks like a great fit (stylewise) to me.
I was curious since the stingies I see around are a style gimmick or fad and your new hat is a departure from those.
I have tons of western felts and about a 1/3 that many fedoras. My significant other calls my fedoras "old man's hats" and you and a few other could change that perception. PLEASE keep it up, recruit others!

fmw

One Too Many
I like it, too, Swing. My family of hats has a high percentage of "outback" style hats that go down both in front and in back. American western hats do the same thing just with taller crowns and wider brims. Yes it's great to see young men getting into syles that we old timers would call traditional.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the information, fmw. I came into this lounge with no knowledge of hat terms whatsoever, so I'm glad to learn what an "outback" style is and all the other tidbits I pick up here and there.

I was always on track to get into more timeless hat styles, since I got into hats just thinking they looked "jazz-age" to me. It was only a matter of time for me to learn that wide brims are more '40s typical than stingies. I like them better whether or not they are the "right" style for the time, and their connection to the culture I love is just icing on the cake!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On head-
NewHat_03-18-11_img3.JPG

That is what I call a good hat.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Thanks for the information, fmw. I came into this lounge with no knowledge of hat terms whatsoever, so I'm glad to learn what an "outback" style is and all the other tidbits I pick up here and there.

I was always on track to get into more timeless hat styles, since I got into hats just thinking they looked "jazz-age" to me. It was only a matter of time for me to learn that wide brims are more '40s typical than stingies. I like them better whether or not they are the "right" style for the time, and their connection to the culture I love is just icing on the cake!

As I said earlier, that is a great hat. I too like a hat with a wider brim that is typical of the 40's look. I have tried the the stingy brims brims but they just look a little silly on me. (6' 200 lbs, 48" chest). You also wear that hat well and look very classy in it. I have not received to many smart alec comments on mine and my wife loves look of hats on me. I also agree that it is great to see a lot of you younger guys wearing classy hats. Your Henschel looks so good that I am contemplating getting one.

Regards

Kirk H.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Hi Kirk,

Thank you for your kind words, sir! I wanted to get more of these hats too, but it seems this exact style isn't in production at the moment. At the least, it's not on their website, although they do have a bunch of similar models described there. Henschel doesn't sell directly, but you can at least see what they make. http://www.henschelhats.com/felt.php

Happy hat browsing!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ok, so this hat is not really new but rather refurbished. It's a tan colored Penney's Marathon I bought from Baron Kurtz back in May last year. I didn't really like the crown/brim ratio when it arrived here and so I fell into one of my haberslashing frenzies once again and had a go at it with the scissors... I also did away with the original thin ribbon and replaced it with a wider brown one I made from some nice vintage grosgrain I found on Ebay some time ago. The last step was to rebind the brim. It actually took me a couple of month till I eventually felt brave enough to have a go at it, and even though it's not really perfect (...) it turned out pretty well, especially for a first-timer. For the binding I used some nice 3/8" brown vintage grograin ribbon I scored on Etsy not long ago.

Here's what the thing looks like in its new incarnation:

Penney's-Marathon-Tan.jpg

Ok, so this hat is not really new but rather refurbished. It's a tan colored Penney's Marathon I bought from Baron Kurtz back in May last year. I didn't really like the crown/brim ratio when it arrived here and so I fell into one of my haberslashing frenzies once again and had a go at it with the scissors... I also did away with the original thin ribbon and replaced it with a wider brown one I made from some nice vintage grosgrain I found on Ebay some time ago. The last step was to rebind the brim. It actually took me a couple of month till I eventually felt brave enough to have a go at it, and even though it's not really perfect (...) it turned out pretty well, especially for a first-timer. For the binding I used some nice 3/8" brown vintage grograin ribbon I scored on Etsy not long ago.

Here's what the thing looks like in its new incarnation:

Penney's-Marathon-Tan.jpg

Great, you gave that hat a second life!

Alex

Practically Family
Awesome job, Mario, especially for your first go at it. Even the diamond bash is flawless if you did that yourself.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
That looks fantastic, Mario. Very solid and inspirational work!

I'm trying to rebuild a basket case thrift store hat, so I'm very glad to see others' refurbished hats. Ironically, my project is also a Penney's... err, JC Penney to be exact. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe