Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Hi Kirk,

Thank you for your kind words, sir! I wanted to get more of these hats too, but it seems this exact style isn't in production at the moment. At the least, it's not on their website, although they do have a bunch of similar models described there. Henschel doesn't sell directly, but you can at least see what they make. http://www.henschelhats.com/felt.php

Happy hat browsing!

Thanks for the link Swing Motorman. Just curious, is the brim on yours a 2.5", 2.75", or a 3"?

Regards

Kirk H.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Ok, so this hat is not really new but rather refurbished. It's a tan colored Penney's Marathon I bought from Baron Kurtz back in May last year. I didn't really like the crown/brim ratio when it arrived here and so I fell into one of my haberslashing frenzies once again and had a go at it with the scissors... I also did away with the original thin ribbon and replaced it with a wider brown one I made from some nice vintage grosgrain I found on Ebay some time ago. The last step was to rebind the brim. It actually took me a couple of month till I eventually felt brave enough to have a go at it, and even though it's not really perfect (...) it turned out pretty well, especially for a first-timer. For the binding I used some nice 3/8" brown vintage grograin ribbon I scored on Etsy not long ago.

Here's what the thing looks like in its new incarnation:

Penney's-Marathon-Tan.jpg

Well done sir!!!

Regards

Kirk H.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Mario - unbelievable job completing the brim binding! I'm ready to be corrected, but I believe the brim binding is ever so slightly lesser in circumference than the brim, thereby enabling the brim to be snapped. I can't imagine getting that to work out correctly if I did it myself. Kudos!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mario - unbelievable job completing the brim binding!

Thanks! :)

I'm ready to be corrected, but I believe the brim binding is ever so slightly lesser in circumference than the brim, thereby enabling the brim to be snapped. I can't imagine getting that to work out correctly if I did it myself. Kudos!

Making the binding a tad shorter in circumference also allows it to sit tightly on the brim, thus avoiding most of those nasty wrinkles you'd need to iron out later. Before you fit the binding to the brim you'll have to fold it in half lengthwise, carefully using the iron to make the fold stay put. This can get really nasty, especially if you're dealing with a pretty narrow (3/8") ribbon. Things will get worse if it's still fairly stiff. I'm dealing with one of those at the moment...

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I received this Champ Featherweight this weekend...
KGrHqEOKpIE1qn127P1BNfpbozWT0_12.jpg

It's in nearly unworn condition - but it's a 7 1/4. So far it seems like it is friendly with the stretching. I have it fitting well - hopefully it will stay there.

Thanks! :)
Making the binding a tad shorter in circumference also allows it to sit tightly on the brim, thus avoiding most of those nasty wrinkles you'd need to iron out later. Before you fit the binding to the brim you'll have to fold it in half lengthwise, carefully using the iron to make the fold stay put. This can get really nasty, especially if you're dealing with a pretty narrow (3/8") ribbon. Things will get worse if it's still fairly stiff. I'm dealing with one of those at the moment...

what type of ribbon are you using for the brim? are you hand sewing or machine sewing? do you tack it all the way around then sew? I've been wanting to do this for a while, just looking for more experience before i try and tackle it.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
what type of ribbon are you using for the brim? are you hand sewing or machine sewing? do you tack it all the way around then sew? I've been wanting to do this for a while, just looking for more experience before i try and tackle it.

I used vintage grosgrain ribbon I bought via Ebay or Etsy. It's out there, but the quality seems to vary, as does the price p/yard. The brown one I used on the Penney's was wonderfully soft and pliable, the black one I fitted to my Louis Custom Hatters today turned out to be pretty rigid.

I used a sewing machine for the job but stayed as far away from the pedal as possible and worked the machine by turning the hand-wheel instead, meditating over every single stitich. Took me about twenty or thirty minutes to finish.

Poseidone

New in Town
My first Stetson

Hi to all. I'm Francesco and I write from Italy.

I bought this used hat and I would like to know, if it's possible, model name, the year and, maybe, a pic. of the original box.
MyHat1-vi.jpg

MyHat2-vi.jpg

MyHat3-vi.jpg

MyHat4-vi.jpg

Now me and my hat.
P1000874-vi.jpg

P.S.
My wife took this picture a few hours before born of Pietro, our first son.

Last edited:
I used vintage grosgrain ribbon I bought via Ebay or Etsy. It's out there, but the quality seems to vary, as does the price p/yard. The brown one I used on the Penney's was wonderfully soft and pliable, the black one I fitted to my Louis Custom Hatters today turned out to be pretty rigid.

I used a sewing machine for the job but stayed as far away from the pedal as possible and worked the machine by turning the hand-wheel instead, meditating over every single stitich. Took me about twenty or thirty minutes to finish.

again, terrific job! I think I'll have to get the sewing machine back from my inlaws and try that. first to find a matching ribbon though...

Congrats on the new arrival, welcome aboard, and great photo!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Here is my new Open Road Twenty-Five I just fished out of the bay
IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Currently reset in open crown...I'll post some more pics when I get her bashed.
IMG_0445.jpg

More pics in the 25 thread

Tommi

New in Town
Few months ago I decided to buy a fedora. I was going to buy some ready-made hat but then I decided to find out how much a "bespoke" fedora would cost. After finding out that a bespoke hat would cost me less than a ready-made one, the choice was easy.

Last week, after the wait of a little bit over one month, I got my bespoke fedora. It was made by Finnish hatter called Lea Jokinen.
I just can't describe how pleased I am.

Here it is:
pict3021.jpg

pict3023.jpg

pict3027.jpg

pict3050.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, Francesco, and congrats on your baby boy AND your hat!

Very nice new lids, Mike! I really like that Champ...can almost 'feel the felt'. :)

Welcome to the lounge, Tommi. That is a very fine looking hat...beaver?

Alan, is that felt as luxurious as it looks? Beautiful hat...probably won't get much summertime use:D

Thanks! The felt is lush yet quite light in weight. I don't think it will be a staple in my summer wardrobe, which comes out of the closet for a few weeks towards the end of July in Buffalo.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought this one from buler at Fedorafest III. He found it in a shop near me, where I check by about once a month! It is a very nice Resistol Pace-setter; light brown with a darker brown ribbon. The crown was originally a center dent and only 4 1/4" high. I steamed it out and re-creased it into a c-crown, raising it to almost 5 " in front and 4 inches in the back. It came with a great old box as well. The sweatband shows it was bought in Sherman, Texas; a town 30 miles north of here. Thanks buler! I appreciate the transfer!

ResistolPacesetter002.jpg

ResistolPace-setter008.jpg

ResistolPace-setter013.jpg

ResistolPace-setter015.jpg

ResistolPacesetter008.jpg

ResistolPace-setter014.jpg

ResistolPacesetter012.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe