Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

One Too Many
A nice advice in a restaurant, with my girls:
2663082010106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2678341640106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

It reminds me Bremen in 1975 ¡¡¡¡

One Too Many
Hi Steve ¡¡¡ : This Restaurant was in Guadalajara, Jalisco, México, the "cerveza" wich I drunk that day was a "pacifíco"
Thanks for your kind words Chepstow, the hat is a fur felt Dobbs ¡¡¡¡
Cheers ¡¡¡

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1900's Czech - Austrian Green Velour

I think I finally got one!!! I've been looking for a pre-1940's Austrian velour for a while, and I picked this beauty off US ebay about a week ago. It says made in Czechoslovakia, but I'm pretty sure I have seen a very similar sweatband stamp on some very old Huckel's before. The felt is in remarkable condition with a nap that has to be brushed.....clockwise, not counter clockwise. The crown top seams like it wants to be brushed either way, but the crown body is most definitely a clockwise nap. The sweatband is remarkably soft and pliable. Unfortunately the ribbon is very delicate and the only piece that remains is the bow. I am planning on using NOS ribbon from the 20's to make a new bow and ribbon for the hat. It is missing the liner, but the stitches that held it in place are still present under the sweatband. Upon further inspection I noticed basting stitches where the ribbon used to be. It seems the ribbon just ripped off the hat. This velour felt is nothing short of incredible. Its soft, but firm enough to hold a crease and pop it right out again. I have not steamed the hat yet. I am waiting to put a new ribbon on, and then I will steam it.

Open Crown Height: 5 3/4 High

Brim Width: 2 1/4 wide (with high flanging)

Overwelt width: Just a hair over 1/4 inch

Original Ribbon width: 2 inches wide

Here's some pics:

IMAGE1.jpg

IMAGE2.jpg

IMAGE3.jpg

IMAGE4.jpg

IMAGE5.jpg

IMAGE6.jpg

IMAGE7.jpg

IMAGE8.jpg

IMAGE9.jpg

IMAGE10.jpg

I'm glad you got that one Josh. I was tempted the first time around when it ended without a bid. I love what is left of the ribbon... look forward to seeing it after your renovation.

I think I finally got one!!! I've been looking for a pre-1940's Austrian velour for a while, and I picked this beauty off US ebay about a week ago. It says made in Czechoslovakia, but I'm pretty sure I have seen a very similar sweatband stamp on some very old Huckel's before. The felt is in remarkable condition with a nap that has to be brushed.....clockwise, not counter clockwise. The crown top seams like it wants to be brushed either way, but the crown body is most definitely a clockwise nap. The sweatband is remarkably soft and pliable. Unfortunately the ribbon is very delicate and the only piece that remains is the bow. I am planning on using NOS ribbon from the 20's to make a new bow and ribbon for the hat. It is missing the liner, but the stitches that held it in place are still present under the sweatband. Upon further inspection I noticed basting stitches where the ribbon used to be. It seems the ribbon just ripped off the hat. This velour felt is nothing short of incredible. Its soft, but firm enough to hold a crease and pop it right out again. I have not steamed the hat yet. I am waiting to put a new ribbon on, and then I will steam it.

Open Crown Height: 5 3/4 High

Brim Width: 2 1/4 wide (with high flanging)

Overwelt width: Just a hair over 1/4 inch

Original Ribbon width: 2 inches wide

Here's some pics:

Josh, Very rare find! The AP is for Anton Peschel of Neutitschein, Austria (Novy Jicin, Czecho Slovakia after WWI). AP along with JHS produced the finest Austrian Velours. My guess is it is from the 1920s. I believe there was only one pre 1940 AP on the FL and yours make the second.

Here is the paper tag from my pre 1940 AP Velour

4860483618_f1fcc8526d_b.jpg

AP ad (12/1912)

6588312339_b35994c791_b.jpg

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Great hat. Almost bought it too. My old brown velour had a twin sweatband but no other labels so I suppose it was also a Peschel.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Great hat Josh. You can add me to the list of people who were thinking of buying it. It was the green color that caused me to hesitate. I'm still waiting for some nice velours. One day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21