Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1954 Velour

This is by far one of the nicest and highest quality velours I have ever handled. After a little steaming and brushing, this hat is very soft to the touch and the nap is as smooth as silk. The felt is fairly thick, but after steaming has that wonderful stiffness yet pliability. I can't wait for Oktoberfest to wear this one out. It might make an appearance for St. Patricks day as well. I have never heard of the maker, but its interesting that this hat has very "American" dimensions.

Crown Height: 5 1/2 Inches Open

Brim Width: 2 1/2 Inches raw edge

DSC06943.jpg

DSC06946.jpg

DSC06947.jpg

DSC06959.jpg

DSC06962.jpg

DSC06963.jpg

DSC06965.jpg

DSC06948.jpg

DSC06956.jpg

DSC06949.jpg

Josh, Wow that is even better than expected. I also haven't heard of the company (there were so many during this time period) but they get major props for actually putting the production year on the paper label! They were out of Miesbach so definitely a good one for Oktoberfest. BTW for me everyday is Oktoberfest!

You will see this type of blocking in some Trachten hats of 1950s and early 60s. I would say city style meets Trachten. Some of the southern German and Austrian city style hats from this time period have similar blocking plus Trachten elements. Here are couple of examples from P. & C. Habig Wien.

3750069446_cb2f806e05_b.jpg

Habig-left.jpg

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again Steve for the tip.

Hückel Foulard, very light weight and super soft felt. Very little worn.
Size 57, but no paper label inside. color Schiefer.

hckelfoulard.jpg

hckelfoulard1.jpg

hckelfoulard2.jpg

hckelfoulard3.jpg

hckelfoulard4.jpg

hckelfoulard5.jpg

hckelfoulard6.jpg

hckelfoulard7.jpg

Last edited:
Manfred, What a beautiful hat! The detailed photos really show it off nicely. I especially like the bow work and the finish, color (felt & ribbon), workmanship are fantastic (as usual). From my experience these early Hückel Hutfabrik Weilheim hats do not have paper labels (TONAK situation?). Would it be possible to take a close-up of the bow?

Last edited:
Thank you for taking and posting the additional photos. The bow looks even better in close-up. I would say mid 1950s maybe a bit later.

PS. Your private message folder is full so I can't send you a PM.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, super find, he looks so beautiful. My Congrats.
I have never heard from the company. Maybe we can find it out.

Josh, Wow that is even better than expected. I also haven't heard of the company (there were so many during this time period) but they get major props for actually putting the production year on the paper label! They were out of Miesbach so definitely a good one for Oktoberfest. BTW for me everyday is Oktoberfest!

You will see this type of blocking in some Trachten hats of 1950s and early 60s. I would say city style meets Trachten. Some of the southern German and Austrian city style hats from this time period have similar blocking plus Trachten elements. Here are couple of examples from P. & C. Habig Wien.

Thanks so much, Manfred & Steve!! I was excited to see the date on the label! I love how so many Austrian and German hats were dated either on the sweatband or the labels. I wish American companies did that more often, it would make so many of those Stetson dating mysteries completely solvable.

Thank you for posting pictures of similar blocked hats, Steve. I really like this look. Obviously my favorite styles are the ones of the pre-1930's hats, but as far as 50's hats go, a 5 1/2 inch crown and 2 1/2 inch brim just seems perfect.

I have a question, what classifies a Trachten hat? I always thought that Trachten hats were those very cone shaped hats with pins and brushes. If a hat isn't blocked that way, would the fact that its green and gold make it a Trachten hat still? I guess really what I'm asking is, what defines a Trachten hat?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again Steve for the tip.

Hückel Foulard, very light weight and super soft felt. Very little worn.
Size 57, but no paper label inside. color Schiefer.

hckelfoulard.jpg

Manfred, without a doubt that is one of the most beautiful hats I have ever seen. The colors, the ribbon work, the proportions are just perfect. I NEED to find a hat EXACTLY like that one, I think I'm in love. Wonderful find!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I have a question, what classifies a Trachten hat? I always thought that Trachten hats were those very cone shaped hats with pins and brushes. If a hat isn't blocked that way, would the fact that its green and gold make it a Trachten hat still? I guess really what I'm asking is, what defines a Trachten hat?

Good question. It's country dress of Germany, Austria, Switzerland and northern Alpine Italy (and other German areas). The most common styles are southern Bavarian and Austrian. The cone shape hats are just one style. You see all kinds of shapes and blocks. Also city dress styles crossed over into Trachten and vice versa.

http://www.brighthub.com/education/languages/articles/15915.aspx

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken