Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Me too. Unfortunately its one of those colors I would like to wear well, but I find looks better onthers.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I'm glad you got that one Josh. I was tempted the first time around when it ended without a bid. I love what is left of the ribbon... look forward to seeing it after your renovation.

Josh, Very rare find! The AP is for Anton Peschel of Neutitschein, Austria (Novy Jicin, Czecho Slovakia after WWI). AP along with JHS produced the finest Austrian Velours. My guess is it is from the 1920s. I believe there was only one pre 1940 AP on the FL and yours make the second.

Great hat. Almost bought it too. My old brown velour had a twin sweatband but no other labels so I suppose it was also a Peschel.

Great hat Josh. You can add me to the list of people who were thinking of buying it. It was the green color that caused me to hesitate. I'm still waiting for some nice velours. One day

Thank you so much, Alan, Steve, Robert, and Iyor!!! I'm glad that even though several of you guys didn't bid on the hat, that I was able to pick it up and welcome it into the Fedora Lounge family. I usually do not like loden green hats, but when it comes to German hats, I find it very appealing. There's just something about an Austrian/German hat in Green that just seems right! This is a hat that I will most likely never wear because of its age and rarity, but its an awesome piece to add to my collection.

Steve, thank you so much for the information regarding the hat. I had hoped that it was made by one of the major manufactures and figured that the logo on the tag meant something, but was unsure what. I'm actually very happy that its a Peschel and not a Huckel. I would have loved it to be a Huckel also, but it seems that anything pre WW2 from Peschel is very rare. Even more so than Huckel. Would the $25 price tag help date the hat? At $27, (including tax) this hat was very expensive for its time!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
IMAGE8.jpg

Outstanding, Josh! I admired this beauty from afar, and am glad you came away with it and have share it with us. Would really like to see a noggin shot when you have completed restoration.

Steve, thank you so much for the information regarding the hat. I had hoped that it was made by one of the major manufactures and figured that the logo on the tag meant something, but was unsure what. I'm actually very happy that its a Peschel and not a Huckel. I would have loved it to be a Huckel also, but it seems that anything pre WW2 from Peschel is very rare. Even more so than Huckel. Would the $25 price tag help date the hat? At $27, (including tax) this hat was very expensive for its time!

I have this 1920 AP Velour newspaper ad that mentions $25.00 as the regular retail price + an additional war tax so your hat is from the same time period (was Austria prior to 1918).

4799235797_650c95636a_b.jpg

I would go ahead and wear it once restored. Austrian Velours are pretty much indestructible (mentioned in above ad) regarding the felt and sweatband.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I have this 1920 AP Velour newspaper ad that mentions $25.00 as the regular retail price + an additional war tax so your hat is from the same time period (was Austria prior to 1918).

I would go ahead and wear it once restored. Austrian Velours are pretty much indestructible (mentioned in above ad) regarding the felt and sweatband.

That advertisement is awesome! Thank you for the info Steve!! I saw the word "Tax" on the label and at first thought that it meant sales tax, but sales tax didn't exist in the US prior to 1921. Also, 2 dollars sales tax for a 25 dollar hat would have been extremely high for that period of time. A "war tax" makes perfect sense. So most likely the hat is from the 1919-1920 range? Still at $25, it would have been a very expensive hat I would imagine.

Now knowing how durable these hats were, maybe I will wear it once I put the new ribbon/bow on. :)

That advertisement is awesome! Thank you for the info Steve!! I saw the word "Tax" on the label and at first thought that it meant sales tax, but sales tax didn't exist in the US prior to 1921. Also, 2 dollars sales tax for a 25 dollar hat would have been extremely high for that period of time. A "war tax" makes perfect sense. So most likely the hat is from the 1919-1920 range? Still at $25, it would have been a very expensive hat I would imagine.

Now knowing how durable these hats were, maybe I will wear it once I put the new ribbon/bow on. :)

Yes I am positive it is from that time period. Definitely on the very high end for a soft felt hat.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
New Hat arrived today. i am very happy about this, because, i bought this yesterday, and now he here.
Its a Mayser Model Berlin, Quality Libelle, very light, but with a very stiff felt.
He is in a pristine condition, the Seller wrote, 1980s, but i knowing, Its much older. I wrote him, i would pay 25,00 EUR include shipping. Now he mine.
The age is 1961, i think it was a good Deal. What you think?

brim 3 9/16 height 5 5/16

mayserlibelle.jpg

mayserlibelle1.jpg

mayserlibelle2.jpg

mayserlibelle3.jpg

mayserlibelle4.jpg

mayserlibelle5.jpg

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Al, Steve, my sincere thanks for the kind remarks. I am very grateful for your comments.
The next Mayser Hat is on the way to me. A gray Mayser. I hope, he looks after cleaning and steaming, also beautiful, as the black one.
Photos if he arrived.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Hi guys,

Do any of you know where I might be able to locate vintage hats (or clothes) in Munich? I will be there soon and I am determined to find some quality vintage headwear!

dR

I have never checked for vintage in Munich. I would check the hat stores in around Munich and ask about dead stock. Manfred might know about the flea market scene.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Steve.
Hello David. I can recommend this page. All dates of Munich and its surroundings. Use, the right panel to search the city. Than click on suchen.

http://www.marktcom.de/

Am Olympiapark (Parkharfe)
Ernst-Curtius-Weg 1, 80809 Munich, München
Fr., der 20.01.2012
von 07:00 Uhr bis 16:00 Uhr
Veranstalter
Rot Kreuz Betriebe
» Weitere Veranstaltungen
dieses Veranstalters
Veranstaltungsadresse
Adresse: Ernst-Curtius-Weg 1, 80809 Munich, München
Öffnungszeiten: 07:00 Uhr bis 16:00 Uhr
Telefon: 089-2373251
Telefax: 089-237344251

Am Olympiapark (Parkharfe)
Ernst-Curtius-Weg 1, 80809 Munich, München
Sa., der 21.01.2012
Veranstalter
Rot Kreuz Betriebe
dieses Veranstalters
Veranstaltungsadresse
Adresse: Ernst-Curtius-Weg 1, 80809 Munich, München

Riesenflohmarkt
Bergsonstraße 115, 81245 München
Sa., der 21.01.2012
Veranstalter
Rot Kreuz Betriebe
dieses Veranstalters
Veranstaltungsadresse
Adresse: Bergsonstraße 115, 81245 München

Visit the site they are a lot of more flea market at Munich and around Munich. I hope I could help.

Last edited:
M.W. Diamant

Size 54cm, NOS with the original size tag. My guess is late 1950s. I haven't been able to find any information on M.W.. The paper tag behind the sweatband has M.B.W. .

6720114437_2b15b87f96_b.jpg

6720125799_d0f0c12d47_b.jpg

6720133037_3a9616e054_b.jpg

6720100333_e085daf699_b.jpg

6720175043_8af1621e5d_b.jpg

6720103451_85f2151c62_b.jpg

6720104485_abd3b4ae21_b.jpg

6720105685_b5e3fa9b72_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member