Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for your compliment and your kind words.
I try to do my best to show you the world of an Italian "tourist " in his land

Tommy, Allegrini, as other producers in the Valpolicella is well represented in the US. You can easily find the products, I believe in a high price range. The main difference with the wines of Tuscany is given by the type of grape used. Valpolicella is a compound of three native grapes: Corvina Veronese, Rondinella and Molinara with prevalence of the first that can also be a part of Corvinone . In Tuscany, the grape most widely used for Chianti , Brunello and Supertuscany is Sangiovese.
Currently there is a renaissance in Italian winemaking in the use of indigenous grapes. They are many and there was and still is present a replanting them to get top quality wines.
Mike, the major producers, given their international status, have representative offices very interesting and in historical mansion. In Valpolicella there are excellent Venetian Villas which in some cases have become the symbol of some manufacturers with prominence in the international market, especially the US and China. The medium and small producers are still very free-range and their cellars simple and approachable and as you know is not the house or the beautiful building to make good wine. It is inside the glass and then on your tongue.
However Allegrini is a great producer.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Second episode of the visit of the Valpolicella and its historical producers of wines.
2ymbz9t.jpg

Villa Mosconi-Bertani is the home to one of the oldest wineries of Valpolicella.
The first part was built in the sixteenth century and can be seen even now some of the underground halls.
2s10z8m.jpg

The Villa Mosconi was built near the renaissance winery since the early years of the eighteenth century and completed in the first half of that century.
21mahkk.jpg

It belonged to the family Mosconi who made a country house and literary salon in the early nineteenth century. It was the home for two of the most important Italian poets (Ippolito Pindemonte and Ugo Foscolo) of the time who have enjoyed the hospitality of the mistress, the Countess Elizabetta Mosconi and the good drink.
b53y86.jpg

It is now the headquarters of the winery Gilberto Bertani, belonging to a family of historical winemakers in Verona. The visit was pleasant with a tour group of American winelovers.
2rmwnep.jpg

The wines tasted were as follows: the white Soave, a blend of Merlot-Syrah called Pragal and Ripasso della Valpolicella vinified from the estate Santa Maria della Pieve.
2ltrng0.jpg

They are present in the complex of the huge wine cellars with the equipment largely nineteenth century that enhance the charm of this historic winery.
f1k2dg.jpg

As most of the Venetian Villas of those days there is a huge park
iv8h8j.jpg

Here there is a tiny lake surrounded with "exotics" wood.
1oww8o.jpg

Ippolito Pindemonte was the creator of this Romantic Garden embellished with a small house, dedicated to the cafe, on the banks of the lake.
m95zqu.jpg

The visit continued in the following days to other manufacturers with less prestigious locations, but with wines of special quality to the great satisfaction of my curious and competent Australian lovers of Italian wine. Then the weather has failed and the last three days were windy, cold and rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82