Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

O'Sully

Familiar Face
I'm interested to see what the developers do with the old TJ hotel. It has the potential to be a very bright spot for the city.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for sharing Dale, always great to see some preservation. I can just imagine a zeppelin docking, it still seems futuristic. Too bad it all died before it really started.

RJR, Blackthorn, Charlie, Perry, Mike, O'Sully,Thanks for all the comments.

Charlie, you are correct, of course, sir.

O'Sully, I'm pretty sure it's planned for a mixed use - high buck condos on top of retail/restaurant space. Pretty soon all of downtown is just going to be one big, expensive, trendy neighborhood.

Mike, I'm with you, the idea seems ultra-futuristic. Here we are nearly 90 years on and instead we pilot our own private automobiles endlessly around the block looking for a place to park and pay extraordinary prices to leave them there, where they may or may not be, or be in one piece, when we return. Progress indeed.

Last edited:
Great shots Dale, remember going to the Alabama with cousins who lived in the area when I was a kid. Used to be a Lyric in downtown Huntsville, now just a really bad nightclub.

tommyK

One Too Many
I couldn't agree more. I enjoy seeing photos of places I'll probably never visit, but a little history helps to give them some context and makes the experience that much more enjoyable. :thumb::thumb:

+1 Couldn't have said it better. I have a long list on my phone of places like this You guys have showcased I hope to visit.

I didn't even know I had been needing that site, Dale, Thank you!! I'll take all the help I can get, starting with the "Bad Luck Reversal." But I'd really like to get the franchise for their "Bend Over Oil."

Thanks Harv!

Charlie, that's definately one of the more interesting ones. Good luck with the franchise, you'd probably land a fortune in that corner of the country. At the very least, I imagine, you'd corner the market.

The lady who runs the place is the furthest thing you'd expect the proprietress of a hoodoo emporium to be, but she knows her audience. They offer some of their "spells" in convenient aerosol cans, and have surprisingly good distribution in some of the local grocery stores down here.

g.durand

One Too Many
Dale, thanks for the enjoyable photo essay, and the chuckles I'm getting from the recent posts. The hoodoo emporium and the products reminds me of growing up in Louisiana, where people practiced varying versions of the art.

Thanks Michael. It may be a little more prevalent in LA than AL, but it may just be that it's a little more out in the open. There's a lot of overlap of culture throughout the deep south and the gulf coast region. I can think of a few shops down in N.O. that are faily high profile, and are as much tourist trap as anything.
I remember growing up, my grandad worked in the mines and lived in a mining community west of the city, and it seems like you couldn't go a mile down the road without passing a "spiritual advisor". I guess a lot of the old time fixers and fortune tellers are dying out around here, but there must still be a pretty robust d.i.y. market. That, and the "luck drawing house blessing" spray has an overpowering odor sort of like juicy fruit gum, and it's popular with smokers of a certain illegal substance to keep in their car in case they get pulled over.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This reminded me of something I hadn't thought about in years. My college roommate told me that, when he started doing LSD back in Mississippi, he found a "Hairball" under his bed one morning. Apparently his mother was trying to ward off the evil spirits. I laughed, but my own mother, who was from Scotland, used to always leave a bit of food on a corner of her plate "for the fairies."

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Garda Lake - Torri del Benaco

Yesterday I went to Torri del Benaco on Lake Garda.
9ruo9g.jpg

I had the task of bringing my daughter home quickly to continue intensive study of year-end.
oihl3t.jpg

She had been with classmates in a pleasant and interesting experience of sailing.
20avuhv.jpg

2vrvrid.jpg

They had been formed in three crews that in morning at the orders of the skipper on three different boats had crossed the lake in the central part going coast to coast.
281riv.jpg

I have arrived at Torri del Benaco which is on the Eastern shore of the lake, I thought in the muggy heat to make a small photographic tour to show one of the beautiful villages of the Verona side.
2yv5cue.jpg

2n9xgsm.jpg

The castle was built by the Scala family, the ruling family in Verona in 1300 and acts as a guard to the small town that lies between the lake and the mountains.
k9c3z7.jpg

2cmnmfl.jpg

Borsalino Piuma hat in its fantastic lightness is ideal for days of 30 Celsius degrees (86 F)!
14d1vu8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82