Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

DesertDan

One Too Many
Great photos Alan. I'm glad you had a great trip and a safe return.
I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up, perhaps next time.

I'm glad you enjoyed the ride.

Alexander, Mount Lemmon Sky Center is open to the public for observing through the 24 and 36 inch telescopes. It is very reasonable and the views are spectacular. These are very fine telescopes and Adam Block puts on a fantastic program. Out your way, Mount Wilson (among the most beautiful settings of any observatory) is also open for daytime visits and for nighttime observing. The cost is higher - you'll need to assemble a small group - but you then have a chance to look through the 60" or the historic 100" Hooker telescope.

Dan, I look forward to next time.

cheers,
Alan

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Alan, this is wonderful. Thanks for posting. I'm led to believe that my dad sent a piece of his equipment, a pocket scope, up onto Skylab in the 70s, but I don't know much about it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Mike and Dale, your photos are awesome as well! Dia de los muertos seems to have gained popularity this year, and you can't go wrong with Don Julio, especially in a hat lab! :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

...Dia de los muertos seems to have gained popularity this year...
You've noticed it too? I thought it was just me. The Los Angeles area of southern California has a large Latin population (or Hispanic, or whatever the preferred nomenclature is these days) so Dia de los Muertos has always been fairly prevalent here, but this year it seems to be everywhere.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for sharing your astral adventure Alan. Out of this world pixs too! It's great when you have the chance to mingle with fellow minds.

You've noticed it too? I thought it was just me. The Los Angeles area of southern California has a large Latin population (or Hispanic, or whatever the preferred nomenclature is these days) so Dia de los Muertos has always been fairly prevalent here, but this year it seems to be everywhere.

I imagine it has to do some with this
3b1dcf5b9152f43e93a6e71b77468d0f.jpg

I remember reading sometime last year that Disney had stirred up quite a stink by trying to copyright Dias de Los Muertos, so at this point you gotta figure some slick marketers have found a cash cow. One day it may become as profitable as Cinco de Mayo.;)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Alan I'm waiting for my wife in the office to show her your pictures in the astronomical observatory. She is much more than me skilled in this subject, but she is busy for other things. So as soon as I see her I will make her a lovely surprise.
That's more than a compliment for your activity and above all the photos of the stars.
L'amor che move il sole e l'altre stelle (Paradiso XXXIII,145)

Do I dare say, Heavenly!? Astounding and astonishing astro-stuff, Alan. Thank you for taking us along, and sharing such a wonderful experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82