Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Ande1964

Practically Family
Lovely Long Hair Borso Auction

I hope you all can forgive me dropping in after a long absence to shamelessly plug an auction. I also hope this is an appropriate place to do so.

I'm selling an extraordinary vintage Borsalino. It was referenced in this thread when I bought it earlier this year. It is a stunning hat, and I love it. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit me very well. If it were not such a rare long hair type of felt, I would dunk and stretch it. I just don't want to risk messing with this felt, though. As a result, I am ready to pass it along.

It's a slightly tight to full 7 1/2, regular oval. Perfect condition aside from a minor blemish on the fur, as noted in the auction. I wanted to offer it before Christmas, in case some hat-lover wanted to treat himself to a gift. The auction starts at well less than I paid. A couple of days left, and no bids thus far.

Thanks all!

Anj

You have a good eye,No the hat is mint no moth bites either I had the seller look it over close,What do you think?Rare to find one that's never been worn,It is a lot to spend but I guess not really to today's hats Quality wise.

From my perspective & the price charged by many custom hatters for a 100% beaver custom, the price you paid is more than justified.
Stetson don't make these anymore. The case is no longer made as well. So all in all, I think you did well....

buler

I'll Lock Up
You have a good eye,No the hat is mint no moth bites either I had the seller look it over close,What do you think?Rare to find one that's never been worn,It is a lot to spend but I guess not really to today's hats Quality wise.

I have a 100 that I got all mint in the box, open crown, with original plastic. It had some yellow mold spots resulting from the "still wrapped in original plastic". So it could cause issues, but I hope in this case it doesn't.

B

SteveAS

Practically Family
Expensive hat stretcher!

!B+dJFoQBGk~$(KGrHqIOKiwEzSKiJTJ+BM+rmbF(Ew~~0_12.JPG

anon`

One Too Many
I've had a pretty good run of B/Os on eBay lately. (And by "pretty good run," I mean "two.")

But now that everything is here and in confirmed working (and fitting!) order, I feel safe in bragging a little.

First, and not a hat, a suit. A blue suit. In three pieces. With no holes, snags, stains or repairs. And a Talon zipper. And an NRA tag.

422799464_o.jpg

Pretty neat, huh? But it needs a hat to go with it.

So how about a Cavanagh? I think it's charcoal-y coloured. With a frayed black ribbon. And a Cav edge. And a box, with a buckle. Probably contemporaneous with the suit.

DSCN4459.JPG

DSCN4461.JPG

And with my mug:
DSCN4457.JPG

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Probably contemporaneous with the suit.

Nice suit, anon! If it's from the NRA period (as the tag suggests) it's quite a bit older than the hat. So it seems to me anyway. Either way, kudos on the new hat and suit combo!

anon`

One Too Many
Nice suit, anon! If it's from the NRA period (as the tag suggests) it's quite a bit older than the hat. So it seems to me anyway. Either way, kudos on the new hat and suit combo!
Suit's definitely an NRA piece. The hat could really land in one of two eras. I'm going with older rather than newer on two bits: no lining on the liner, and the frayed end on the right of the bow (which isn't really visible in any of the shots). The former is really only suggestive, but the latter I've never seen on a post-War hat.

Now I wait for someone else to show up and tell me I'm wrong ;)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a hat!

:mad: That's it!
You let the Loonie fly as high as the US greenback dollah & them Canuckastanians won't never letcha' forget it! ;)

Just razzin' ya', CC, eh? An outstanding hat by any measure, well done, :eusa_clap look fwd. to pix. Now you need a comparable Biltmore & Smithbilt!

SteveAS

Practically Family
I'm going with older rather than newer on two bits: no lining on the liner, and the frayed end on the right of the bow (which isn't really visible in any of the shots). The former is really only suggestive, but the latter I've never seen on a post-War hat.

I won a Cavanagh with no liner cover and the same logo as yours some months ago. Experienced members figured mine was late 50s or 60s. Their reasoning seems to apply to your hat.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Suit's definitely an NRA piece. The hat could really land in one of two eras. I'm going with older rather than newer on two bits: no lining on the liner, and the frayed end on the right of the bow (which isn't really visible in any of the shots). The former is really only suggestive, but the latter I've never seen on a post-War hat.

Okay, you asked, here I am!

Zetwal is right, the hat is no older than the '50s, and could even be '60s. Cavanagh did not use clear tip protectors in their liners until the 1970s. Additionally, the frayed ribbon was standard on Cavanaghs until the end of Hat Corporation of America in 1972. It's still a great hat though, and will go very well with the suit!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe