Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tatude

New in Town
Thanks. The item #was 140485596964. I hope that helps. It's my first vintage but forth hat. I'm hoping it can be streached to 7 1/2. Hopefully it's authentic. It looks brand néw.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
That's a nice looking hat it looks like it was never worn,do a advanced search and type Basken Racqet Club in the search box and if anything is threaded or posted it should come up.Hope this helps you, there is a world of knowledge on the Lounge you just have to spend the time to find it.
CC

Tatude

New in Town
Nothing came up on a search or even a google search but it smells a bit old lol. This site has been very helpful. I don't think I would have made the plunge if not for the lounge. Now I'm hooked.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I am talking about a advanced search on the lounges threads click the advanced search engine icon near the top right near the log out icon. type in Dobbs and submit, read the threads,it will take some time reading them all as there are many manyyyyyyyyy pages to read.
CC

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Canadian Cowboy, looks like your Dobbs has a trolley string on it, too. I love those things. I am not a stingy brim fan, but it looks like a fine hat you got there. Price ain't too bad, either.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Hmmmm. Interesting. Seems to me that it would just put stress on the actually sewn parts of the band and cause that area to break faster... especially if the sweatband gets, well, sweaty. Thanks for the info, billyspew. I had yet to come across that style of band sewing.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Ventilation I believe. The corrugation allows air to flow up into the crown. At least I think that was the plan.

And/or maybe comfort ... There would be no stitching touching the forehead. Additionally, without the added rigidity caused by the stitching itself, the sweatband could move and conform more easily to the forehead.

Tatude

New in Town
Thanks for the replies so far. I found a price tag inside the band for $20 so I think it's legit. Hard to believe a hat 40-50 years old looks practically brand new. I hope I will be able to get it sized up a bit as it's too tight but other than that it's perfect.

barrowjh

One Too Many
In reply to mobile vulgus, I thought the primary reason for the special reeding for the sweatband was to avoid staining the felt with sweat. Generally, the first place you will sweat through is somewhere along the forehead. So, the corrugated reeding places a buffer between the sweatband and the felt at the forehead, and allows a little ventilation to the same area. I'm not sure why the practice was ultimately abandoned; was it too labor intensive (expensive)? Was it too ineffective? Maybe the reeded sweatbands that became dominant were seen as a more cost-effective solution to several issues?

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe