Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

anon`

One Too Many
Okay, you asked, here I am!

Zetwal is right, the hat is no older than the '50s, and could even be '60s. Cavanagh did not use clear tip protectors in their liners until the 1970s. Additionally, the frayed ribbon was standard on Cavanaghs until the end of Hat Corporation of America in 1972. It's still a great hat though, and will go very well with the suit!

Brad
Glad you popped in, Brad! I have no particular grounds to disagree with your analysis, but I just got back from your dating-by-liners thread for Cav hats. Curious to know where you got the trademark information for that thread. In my curiosity, I went looking myself, and the USPTO is telling me that the imprint on this liner (including the word mark "Cavanagh A Possee ad Esse Cavanagh Hats New York" (no address) was first used in a commercial context in December 1928 and field for on 12 December 1929. The "Cavanagh Edge" printed on the sweat was apparently first used in 1913 (???), but not filed for until 1952.

*shrug*

Dunno, and can't prove otherwise myself. But it's beat up and looks '30s enough for me, so I'm happy! :)

I've had a pretty good run of B/Os on eBay lately. (And by "pretty good run," I mean "two.")

But now that everything is here and in confirmed working (and fitting!) order, I feel safe in bragging a little.

First, and not a hat, a suit. A blue suit. In three pieces. With no holes, snags, stains or repairs. And a Talon zipper. And an NRA tag.

422799464_o.jpg

Pretty neat, huh? But it needs a hat to go with it.

So how about a Cavanagh? I think it's charcoal-y coloured. With a frayed black ribbon. And a Cav edge. And a box, with a buckle. Probably contemporaneous with the suit.

DSCN4459.JPG

DSCN4461.JPG

And with my mug:
DSCN4457.JPG

Excellent hat and suit Anon, post some photos with them together, should be smashing.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Glad you popped in, Brad! I have no particular grounds to disagree with your analysis, but I just got back from your dating-by-liners thread for Cav hats. Curious to know where you got the trademark information for that thread. In my curiosity, I went looking myself, and the USPTO is telling me that the imprint on this liner (including the word mark "Cavanagh A Possee ad Esse Cavanagh Hats New York" (no address) was first used in a commercial context in December 1928 and field for on 12 December 1929. The "Cavanagh Edge" printed on the sweat was apparently first used in 1913 (???), but not filed for until 1952.

The USPTO search just shows the most recent incarnations of the registered marks. To get to the older versions you have to dig a bit deeper and download the copies of the original registration certificates from the prior registrations.

Brad

thebroker

One of the Regulars
A few weeks ago, I picked up this vintage Miller hat for almost nothing, and as soon as it got here, I sent it off to Optimo for cleaning and re-blocking. This is the first porkpie style hat I've ever owned, so I wasn't sure how I'd look in it, and sure enough, porkpies aren't for me. However, this is a great vintage hat, and it is currently listed on eBay, so I hope it finds a good home. I didn't realize it until it came, because in my opinion it was poorly listed, but the ribbon treatment is in the back instead of on the side.

Miller1.jpg

Miller2.jpg

Miller3.jpg

Miller4.jpg

Miller5.jpg

Milller6.jpg

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I also just got this recent eBay purchase back from Optimo today. I'm not sure why it didn't get more attention, but I was the only bid at $25. It came with a leather hat band and metal buckle, but I had the fine folks at Optimo replace this with a traditional ribbon. The tag reads 7 1/2, but the label underneath the sweatband reads 7 3/8. I believe perhaps both are wrong, as it's a bit snug on my head, which normally fits under a 7 3/8 just fine. Tiffani at Optimo said it measured closer to 7 1/4. The label identifies it as a Temple, which ordinarily comes with a grosgrain ribbon. However, it also has a Miller Hats label, and looking at their website, they offer a "Louise" model. I've never seen this advertised anywhere else, so my guess is perhaps they take a Temple and modify it in-house with the leather band. At any rate, this is a GREAT hat, and I can't say enough about what a good job the folks at Optimo did. Even though this hat is a smidge too small for me, I'm going to keep it for a while until my Black Cherry VS gets here. After that, I'll probably put it on eBay and buy another hat that fits a bit better.

photo-26.jpg

photo-27.jpg

As you'll notice, by the way, I'm a far cry from a photographer! :)

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought it
CC
Good score CC. I was in the action in the $450 range. I already have two 100s both in worn but very good condition in beat up boxes, but I don't wear the boxes. In fact I purchased the OR styled 100 from an active Lounger. I think you made a good purchase. Looking forward to see more pictures and hearing what you think of your new 100. BTW my $450 bid is not want I think the hat is worth I just threw a dart.
cheers

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm selling an extraordinary vintage Borsalino. It was referenced in this thread when I bought it earlier this year. It is a stunning hat, and I love it. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit me very well. If it were not such a rare long hair type of felt, I would dunk and stretch it. I just don't want to risk messing with this felt, though. As a result, I am ready to pass it along.
I'd be tempted to risk the felt (since I don't think it would do the felt any harm) and stretch to long oval.
But I'm more worried about the threads that have popped on the sweatband. Do you have pictures of them
or a sense of how bad it is? If I were you, I'd keep it...

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Good score CC. I was in the action in the $450 range. I already have two 100s both in worn but very good condition in beat up boxes, but I don't wear the boxes. In fact I purchased the OR styled 100 from an active Lounger. I think you made a good purchase. Looking forward to see more pictures and hearing what you think of your new 100. BTW my $450 bid is not want I think the hat is worth I just threw a dart.
cheers
I wonder if the snip bidder was Lounger!
CC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe