Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Chinaski

One Too Many
Anon, I think that's a great looking Cavanagh regardless of the vintage, and it will definitely go well with the suit.

DSCN4457.JPG

I am new to creasing Fedora's I am not sure how it will turn out,do you set the crease first to what one wants then steam it?or just crease it?
Thanks,CC

Depends on the felt you have to work with. Mostly, steam is applying moisture to the felt & heat to loosen the shellac stiffener to allow you to shape it and as it cools, sets your crease or brim.
Some high quality felt can be shaped "dry" & then steam is used to activate what shellac is there to "set" that shape. If I am doing major re-creasing, I spray distilled water on the crown, shape, let dry, hit it with steam...HTH

Gumbo Book

Familiar Face
Very nice Gumbo. Have handled a few of this make before and they seem to have been a top brand.

Thanks billyspew.

Battersby were based in Stockport and had a huge factory ( as you probably knew ) and did outsource for a few other brands that were still independent at the time now sadly absorbed, decades ago now. ( I will take some better photos - sorry)

Lincoln Bennet are a good find too ( apprenticed - or so I've heard - to H Johnson when they used better felt, also years ago )

The box and hat come direct from the factory - and is named. So I imagine that the original owner was fitted for the hat and then ordered it.

I love it simply for the box alone, but the velour has a nice smooth finish.

Thnx
Gumbo.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Last week I won this Resistol Fedora http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...dzVt8II%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT . Well it came today. It had some dents in it that I soothed out and a center crease that I changed to a teardrop. I've owed many Resistols in my day but this is my first non Western one and my first Vintage Hat.
Redfedfront2.jpg

Resfedside.jpg

Redfedtop.jpg

Redfedliner.jpg

Resfedfronton.jpg

Redfedsideon.jpg

You can't really see the color in the pictures it is kinda of a mocha brown with a little red in it.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I just grabbed this very clean looking Mallory Ten Premier Pliafelt with a Buy it Now of $34.99. It's only a size 7, but so is my head! Having read several favorable allusions to Pliafelt, I'm excited to feel it.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thatsme/hats_010.JPG[/img[/QUOTE]

I don't own one, and I've only handled one, but IMO, that Pliafelt is one of the greatest things in felt.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Last week I won this Resistol Fedora http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...dzVt8II%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT . Well it came today. It had some dents in it that I soothed out and a center crease that I changed to a teardrop. I've owed many Resistols in my day but this is my first non Western one and my first Vintage Hat.
Redfedfront2.jpg

Resfedside.jpg

Redfedtop.jpg

Redfedliner.jpg

Resfedfronton.jpg

Redfedsideon.jpg

You can't really see the color in the pictures it is kinda of a mocha brown with a little red in it.

My goodness, that looks just like a Dobbs I have!
0705091811.jpg

Its tough to tell colors on the computer, especially with the quality of some cameras, but in some of your photos the color of your hat matches mine, which is not truly represented by the picture, either. My crown started out with the same proportions are yours. I had recreased it shortly before taking the picture.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe