Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Here's the Borsalino I won on eBay today, paid a pretty penny but it what I wanted.

Nice one! Funny how the angle of the photograph can alter appearances; the description says the brim is under 2", but the frontal view doesn't look quite that stingy (to my eye, anyway.)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,
Tom

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
OH MY GAWD!

Check out this ebay auction:

Vintage -Confederate- Civil War Uniform Kepi Hat/Cap

These fools are bidding nearly $200 on a REPRODUCTION kepi! It isn't "vintage" at all. It's some reenactor's dirty fake kepi.

And the description is a masterful effort at subterfuge. Using buzz words like "vintage" and "memorabilia" and "early design" as if he were describing something of actual worth.

What's that whole saying of a "sucker born every minute"??

OH MY GAWD!

Check out this ebay auction:

Vintage -Confederate- Civil War Uniform Kepi Hat/Cap

These fools are bidding nearly $200 on a REPRODUCTION kepi! It isn't "vintage" at all. It's some reenactor's dirty fake kepi.

And the description is a masterful effort at subterfuge. Using buzz words like "vintage" and "memorabilia" and "early design" as if he were describing something of actual worth.

What's that whole saying of a "sucker born every minute"??

Who collects "reenactor" uniforms? I know reenactors who use it but never heard of collectors of reenactor equipment...
They deserve to be fleeced...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
What do these go for new? Because it looks like someone paid $178 for a cap that someone else has (relatively recently) beaten into the ground. Iow, it really doesnt matter how old it is, unless it was used in the Civil War, afaic.

Well, alrighty, then!:eek:hwell:

True reenactors will want a hat, (kepi, forage, slouch), depending on what unit they are interpreting & also what time of the War a battle occurred. You can't have a weather beaten, experienced hat for First Bull Run & you wouldn't have a pristine one at Appomattox. Same for your trousers & jacket. Shoes can be tricky cause you always claim to have taken them off a dead soldier...
When I did the 125 Anniversary series 25 years ago, we tried to stay true & during a year, you would attend other battles that are done annually that happened during different years of the War. See the delimma?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
When I did the 125 Anniversary series 25 years ago, we tried to stay true & during a year, you would attend other battles that are done annually that happened during different years of the War.

Exactly.

I have enough gear to do early, mid, and late war events.

As to the price on kepis, a well-made, authentic kepi can run upwards to $200 hand-made and brand spanking new. But such a piece is hand stitched with patterns in perfect compliance with originals and often made from hand-loomed, hand-dyed cloth, so they are worth the high cost on that level. They are hand-made from the first bit of cloth to the last stitch.

But the one in this ebay auction I posted is a piece of junk made sometime in the 1980s or 1990s. It is not a good authentic copy of a kepi. (We call it a "Farb" piece.... don't ask why. No one really knows where the word "farb" came from. Lots of theories, but no one really knows). Plus its beaten to death.

At the high price this thing that really isn't worth $5 has gotten to, I almost wonder if some one that is fresh to collecting authentic civil war artifacts (from the war itself) is being fooled into thinking this is a real kepi, not a fake one that reenactors used.

The person that wrote the description is pretty crafty in a criminal sort of way.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I so wish that I could squeeze into a 7 1/8
Picture027.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
What you see as problems are the benefits I'm after. Look through the Borso thread and run a search on Stack posts by Dinerman.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yes, I was out-sniped on that Stack. If that hat is as nice as I think it is, it is priceless in many respects. Likely a Knapp felt, 3 in brim with a cav edge, sweat sewn directly to the felt except for the front (just like Borso's from that period), appears to be a stunning hat, especially if that light olive color is true. Oh well, there's always scotch-

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm always amazed to see Stack Hats come up for auction. Good thing I hadn't seen this one, or I would've been in on the bidding. I was in touch with Frank Stack's son a couple of months ago, and he said his father's company didn't last too long, so there was a fairly limited number of hats produced to begin with, and likely few of those survive. Rare, indeed.

Brad

Tatude

New in Town
Info on new hat

New to the lounge so I hope I'm doing this right. I'm wondering if anyone has any info on a hat I just got on eBay. I'm new so can't post attachments. It's a Dobbs blk and says Basken Racqet Club. It has a wind cord and seller said it was from the 60's. Looks brand new never worn. A bit tight so I will have to get it streached. I didn't pay much so if I got took not much harm done. I can also post in Dobbs section if that would be better. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe