Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Style Fall '07

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Forgotten Man said:
If I were looking for a magazine that was about vintage or classic styles, I’d pick up Reminisce or something… I hate to say it but, I’d probably over look this magazine because of its trendy and modern cover.

Classic Style is not a vintage magazine, nor does it try to be. True we cover style icons like Cary Grant and Bogie. Also we present traditional values and are fond of golden era movies and music and modern versions of the same. Never the less, Classic Style is a contemporary magazine that celebrates the timeless look that is not swayed by fashion. Reminisce is a nostolgic publication and sounds more like what you are looking for.

As for our cover....I consider modern as a compliment. Trendy on the other hand....I have to take issue with (no pun intended....ok...it was). Trendy is what we avoid. It is true that illustration was used much more in the golden era. Yet not all covers were drawn. Photos were often used though the photographic process along with the poor color printing of the day gave it more of an illustrated feel. For example see the covers below of magazines from the 1940's:

scan0062.jpg

38a1_1.JPG

scan0065.jpg

The compositions are really not that different. Put a brown leather jacket over that blue shirt on the last guy and you would be pretty close. We do have more title treatments on the cover due to our distributors feeling that more entry points make for better sell through.

CS4_Cover_sm.jpg

Like I said above, I am sure that Reminisce is more your cup of tea. I am ok with that. Classic Style is not for everyone. My competitors are trying to be all things to all men. We are just speaking to a certain group.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Doran
treat all criticism as potentially constructive.

Except when it isn't.

Doran, I have great respect for your intelligence and forebearance. However, on this we disagree.

I have a basic problem with people "on a mission" to reform others, especially when they may not need or want reformation.

Nor do I appreciate bullying be it written, verbal, or physical.

Just call it a personal quirk on my part. :rolleyes:

Neither of the above comments is in any way directed at you personally. Carter

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
MK said:
Classic Style is not a vintage magazine, nor does it try to be. True we cover style icons like Cary Grant and Bogie. Also we present traditional values and are fond of golden era movies and music and modern versions of the same. Never the less, Classic Style is a contemporary magazine that celebrates the timeless look that is not swayed by fashion. Reminisce is a nostolgic publication and sounds more like what you are looking for.

As for our cover....I consider modern as a compliment. Trendy on the other hand....I have to take issue with (no pun intended....ok...it was). Trendy is what we avoid. It is true that illustration was used much more in the golden era. Yet not all covers were drawn. Photos were often used though the photographic process along with the poor color printing of the day gave it more of an illustrated feel. For example see the covers below of magazines from the 1940's:

scan0062.jpg

38a1_1.JPG

scan0065.jpg

The compositions are really not that different. Put a brown leather jacket over that blue shirt on the last guy and you would be pretty close. We do have more title treatments on the cover due to our distributors feeling that more entry points make for better sell through.

CS4_Cover_sm.jpg

Like I said above, I am sure that Reminisce is more your cup of tea. I am ok with that. Classic Style is not for everyone. My competitors are trying to be all things to all men. We are just speaking to a certain group.

Mr. K,

I am well aware of vintage covers of the time, as I mentioned, I have a collection of such. When I hear the term: “Classic Style” I’d expect to see it on the cover. That’s just me I guess. I may be new to the “Lounge” but, I’m an old hand at the history of the 20’s to the 40’s and have collected such items before there was a Fedora Lounge.

A S.E.P. cover I found on the net:

l_9930dfacc29b0b0ee1400342550e5a90.jpg

I see nothing poor about the colors used in that cover!

I am happy that members here appreciate it and enjoy the publication… I’m not trying to bash it, please don’t miss understand. I don’t have a mission to destroy the magazine; I’m merely trying to offer an opinion in making it more “Classic” in appearance since I have a good feel for design of that period. I don’t know why there seems to be anti feelings towards beautiful vintage design… I was under the impression that is something that is appreciated here… I guess I’m wrong.

I guess to me it’s like Neo Swing VS original Big Band. In that case, I’ll stick to Reminisce... I'm too much of a purest I suppose.

Good luck to you and your magazine “Classic Style”.

Sincerely,

Forgotten Man~

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Forgotten Man
I am well aware of vintage covers of the time, as I mentioned, I have a collection of such. When I hear the term: “Classic Style” I’d expect to see it on the cover. That’s just me I guess. I may be new to the “Lounge” but, I’m an old hand at the history of the 20’s to the 40’s and have collected such items before there was a Fedora Lounge.

I'm sure you,sir, are not the only member of the FL that has a "collection of" vintage covers.

I find the final sentence above to be tactless, condescending, and insensitive.

That's just me I guess.

I don’t know why there seems to be anti feelings towards beautiful vintage design… I was under the impression that is something that is appreciated here… I guess I’m wrong.

To make the blanket assumption that there are "anti feelings towards beautiful vintage design", that it is not appreciated in this forum, because someone does not agree with you, is patently ridiculous.

I'm too much of a purest I suppose.

I suppose so.

Please pardon the unenlightened boobs who have the temerity to disagree with you.

Carter

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome again to The Fedora Lounge, Forgotten Man.

I hope you'll stick around and dig deeply into the forums here. There is a remarkable amount of information to be had, and quite a mountain of scholarly debate about all things from the era we all love. From sock garters to hat pins, this is the place to learn, and to add to the discussion.

I think it's not an overstatement to say that 90% of the members here have at least a decent collection of magazines from that time and treasure them. You're right - there was "something" about the design of the period that was brilliant, and still seems fresh today.

I urge you to pick up a copy of the newest issue of Classic Style and look inside. It has come a very long way since Issue 1. There are a lot of people here with a deep knowledge of the Golden Era, who also think that CS is a very fine magazine that does indeed reach a previously untouched audience.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's all be friends, guys!

Otherwise we'll be like that Monty Python thing where there are (I cannot remember) separate rival factions of the Jewish Liberation Front, the Front for the Liberation of the Jews, the Society for Judaean Autonomy, and the Jews Against Roman Occupation ... all at each others' throats!

We all love a lot of the same stuff. Let's agree to disagree on the smaller stuff.

moustache

Practically Family
Oooooo. FOUNTAIN PENS!!!

As you might know,i spend a lot of time on Fountain Pen Network as well.
A LOT!!!! So i look forward to the pen article.

Thanks MK!! Well done yet again!!!!

JD

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
I always look forward to the magazine and eagerly anticipate the fountain pen and shoeshine articles! I must say I'm somewhat out of touch with popular culture these days...Juliet who?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
carter said:
I'm sure you,sir, are not the only member of the FL that has a "collection of" vintage covers.

I find the final sentence above to be tactless, condescending, and insensitive.

That's just me I guess.

To make the blanket assumption that there are "anti feelings towards beautiful vintage design", that it is not appreciated in this forum, because someone does not agree with you, is patently ridiculous.

I suppose so.

Please pardon the unenlightened boobs who have the temerity to disagree with you.

Carter

Man, thanks for making me feel welcome.:rolleyes:

I get a serious feeling from a few members (who’s names I will not mention) who feel it their job to come down on one who has a different opinion then their own.

I didn’t call any names, I just simply voiced my opinion… some are trying to treat a new comer like an ignorant boob because he doesn’t seem to feel the cover is reflecting “Classic Style”… so be it, sorry if I rained on anyone’s parade.

Seems to me, some here want to start fights... sad.

Sincerely,

Forgotten Man~

carter

I'll Lock Up
"Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone."

Mrs. Patrick Campbell, in a letter to George Bernard Shaw, August 13, 1912

:eek:fftopic:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
BarbaraBain & MartinLandau's daughter.
She played a vampire villainess on BufftheVampireSlayer.

I adore Drusilla--she had the best lines; "I'm naming all the stars... I can see them. But I've named them all the same thing, and there's terrible confusion."

Season 2 of Buffy, good stuff.

I can't wait to see her picture out of character in CS!

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Great! Looking forwardto the new issue. Fall is a really great time of year here. So out comes the slacks and dress shirts and good bye to the polos and shorts!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Just received my replacement copy of issue 1!

Now I have to put it somewhere safe.

Has anyone out there ever made a slipcase for magazines?

I think we need one. I know I'd make the purchase.

:fedora:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe