Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Style Fall '07

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
OK, I've been happy with Classic Style Magazine so far, but I'm afraid I have to be a little critical this time around. I found this issue a bit of a let-down. :(

First, there's the cover. I know it was already discussed, but here's my concern. Reaction; Who the blazes is that guy in a plain shirt, plain jacket, no hat, and bad shave? Jon who? And why do the words "Bogart Attitude" hover so prominently next to his head?
Now, if the picture on page 38 had been used, my reaction would have been a curious - 'Hey, who's this guy?"

Second, MK, the Reagan quote was a big joke for my crowd back in the day, since he was being called too old, and he sounded like he thought the issue was that his opponent was too young. It didn't help your message there, really. Besides, he got a standing ovation when he promised to raise taxes, too. lol

This issue had it's good points. Most notably, the LaBamba article, "Fall forward, spring back", and the too brief piece on Bogart (not your fault, he's just interesting).

The big slap, though; Juliet Landau. I expect to see her praised in a mag like Entertainment Weekly, but to call her a "Bombshell" in this mag???? I won't deny her talents or her great origins, but she's the "name of the month" right now... and she looks like death warmed over. (Sorry Juliet. Eat something. Please.)

Please don't take my criticism as an attempt to insult anyone. I just figure that by being brutally honest while the magazine is young can only help it mature. I want to see it succeed, but I don't want it to "blend in" with other magazines. It's best quality is it's freshness and unique look. Fall 2007 feels like it dropped the ball a little, is all.

panamag8or

Practically Family
I'm still waiting, but I bet my first one isn't until the Nov. issue. I've been putting off a B&N trip, in case it showed up, but I don't think I can hold out any more.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Not-Bogart13 said:
First, there's the cover. I know it was already discussed, but here's my concern. Reaction; Who the blazes is that guy in a plain shirt, plain jacket, no hat, and bad shave?

We were considering using your avatar for the cover....but you were wearing a hat.

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.:p

All kidding aside, we appreciate all feedback.

panamag8or

Practically Family
MK said:
We were considering using your avatar for the cover....but you were wearing a hat.

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.:p

All kidding aside, we appreciate all feedback.

lol @MK. My computer's fan came on when I got to this burn.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Classic Style @ Borders FYI

Mr. Key:

Finally saw the latest issue of CS, BUT it was racked in society/culture section of mag titles @ Borders, just saw it by accident. If that was the intended location IMO it would be better served in the mens mag section. Just my 2 cents!

Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

panamag8or

Practically Family
Finally broke down and went to B&N to get one. It was in the front row of Men's Interest, right next to the featured title. The fountain pen article was great!

Although... there was a binding issue with mine. There are 2 sets of the first few pages. I flipped through the contents page, read MK's letter, and then there was another contents page, and another MK letter.:eek: I haven't checked, but I assume the last few pages do the same.

I got more than my $5.95 worth!:D

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I finally got into the local B&N (the carpark has been full for the past two weeks) and found five issues of Classic Style in the back row of men's interest. I did my duty and put a copy in front of Men's Health. ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

panamag8or

Practically Family
Starius said:
It came in the mail today! It came in the mail today!
Huzzah!

*Does a little jig and then runs away*

Mine came yesterday, too. Now I need to find a good place to "seed" my extra copy.

Ooh! The barber shop is a good idea.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Does anyone know anything about their customer service? I emailed a week and a half ago about getting a subscription for my boyfriend but haven't heard a peep in return....

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
sixsexsix said:
Does anyone know anything about their customer service? I emailed a week and a half ago about getting a subscription for my boyfriend but haven't heard a peep in return....

travis?

Dr Doran

The Wolf said:
I finally got into the local B&N (the carpark has been full for the past two weeks) and found five issues of Classic Style in the back row of men's interest. I did my duty and put a copy in front of Men's Health. ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Brilliant guerilla marketing! I love it. MK is probably too much of a decent fellow to condone it, though.

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
How about getting Mr. Clooney for an upcoming issue.

He is one celeb who is changing the way men look and dress with his combed over hair and nice threads.

He is a modern day Clark Gable.

Dr Doran

Hugh Beaumont said:
How about getting Mr. Clooney for an upcoming issue.

He is one celeb who is changing the way men look and dress with his combed over hair and nice threads.

He is a modern day Clark Gable.

Hated The Good German, but I agree with your assessment overall. He is probably improving male dress standards in the USA -- not that that would be difficult in a country like this where people go to the opera in jeans and a t-shirt and wear baseball caps in nice restaurants. Demoticism gone amok.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe