Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Imperial quality, yes. That's what most Akubra hats are too, so I have a feeling that this is a potentially common phenomenon, although I'm not sure about Heritage felts.

Any Heritage felt Akubra owners here relate to the sweat stain problems?

fenris

One of the Regulars
Hmmm... that's weird. I've never sweat through any of my hats. And I live in a tropical country. Although, I do take the hat off a few seconds to wipe my forehead when I feel the sweatband is getting soaked.

I did have sweat trickle down my eyebrow from the sweatband when I tilted the hat back to allow some air in. But that's about as sweaty as I can probably get... and I sweat easily. My liner is a testament to that. I've got sweat stains all over my liner now.

fenris

One of the Regulars
J B said:
Imperial quality, yes. That's what most Akubra hats are too, so I have a feeling that this is a potentially common phenomenon, although I'm not sure about Heritage felts.

Any Heritage felt Akubra owners here relate to the sweat stain problems?

Hmmm... mine is Heritage. And as I stated earlier, I've never sweat through it yet.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting. As I said, I felt for sure that I must have just touched this portion of my hat with sweaty gloves, but it was only the ribbon that was darkened from the moisture...

Hmmm...So you can sweat through Imperial Quality felt. I wonder if that's a bad thing in the long run.

Neophyte

Hmmm, I just learned that ordering pretty much any hat from EA with EMS express mail, as long as they have your color in stock, is about $30-40 cheaper than HatsDirect, and about equal to DavidMorgans' pricing. That Bluegrass Green Campdraft may just be too good to pass up. :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Just for the record, it's probably no ordinary, minor amount of sweat that's stained mine (again, it's hardly visible, but I know there's a trace of the origins). The fact of the matter is, on multiple occasions, I've worn my hat while sweating to high heaven in scorching, eighty to ninety degree heat, a a few times into one-hundred. Add multiple, strenuous hikes, walks, and jogs to the equation, and that's just crying out for the hat to start showing some wear: sweat on the outside. For that matter, it's slightly dusty as well, with a little bit of evidence of trail dirt from my recent hikes. Honestly, looking back at it, I've been wearing my Fed IV more as if it were a rugged outback or cowboy hat, than the stereotypical city-worn fedora, if that makes any sense. My next hat, most likely from Akubra itself, will be mainly a city and town hat; for nicer, dressier occasions. I don't think I'm hitting the trail with this one, and I hope to keep sweat to a minimum, unless it just happens to be that hot out.

Neophyte

That's what the Federation IV is...for, friend. Looking good while working hard lol. The good thing here is that you can always have a hatter put a new ribbon on, and that ribbon will always cover the sweatstained area. Sounds like you've put your fed to good use. I'll bet that eventually though you're going to be interested in the "Naptha Bath" thead.

By the way, I noticed your past two signature's highlighting your uncertainty about your next hat are gone. Have you narrowed it down yet?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
That's what the Federation IV is...for, friend. Looking good while working hard lol. The good thing here is that you can always have a hatter put a new ribbon on, and that ribbon will always cover the sweatstained area. Sounds like you've put your fed to good use. I'll bet that eventually though you're going to be interested in the "Naptha Bath" thead.

I remember seeing that thread, but I don't think this one's getting a naptha bath... Nope, I'd rather keep it a bit worn and dusty looking, come to think of it. For that certain, rugged adventurer appearance...
Indy-Hat-Tip.gif

By the way, I noticed your past two signature's highlighting your uncertainty about your next hat are gone. Have you narrowed it down yet?

Yes, I think I've narrowed it down to pretty much just the Stylemaster, or the Federation IV. Most likely, I'm looking at a Stylemaster, as it may look less "blocky" on my head than a Fed IV, although the other look if pulled off well is great.

Neophyte

J B said:
I remember seeing that thread, but I don't think this one's getting a naptha bath... Nope, I'd rather keep it a bit worn and dusty looking, come to think of it. For that certain, rugged adventurer appearance...
Indy-Hat-Tip.gif

Yes, I think I've narrowed it down to pretty much just the Stylemaster, or the Federation IV. Most likely, I'm looking at a Stylemaster, as it may look less "blocky" on my head than a Fed IV, although the other look if pulled off well is great.

I personally love bound brims, so I'd vote Stylemaster. I don't really like the FedIV's dimensional brim, and I had a bad experience with the Dark Brown one, which was my first hat ever.

You got a preferred color? Both come in Moonstone and a form of Carbon/Steel Grey. I wish I could pull off the Stylemaster, but it would make me look like a traffic cone lol.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
I personally love bound brims, so I'd vote Stylemaster. I don't really like the FedIV's dimensional brim, and I had a bad experience with the Dark Brown one, which was my first hat ever.

You got a preferred color? Both come in Moonstone and a form of Carbon/Steel Grey. I wish I could pull off the Stylemaster, but it would make me look like a traffic cone lol.

Moonstone's definitely my preference for my next hat. At this point, I only see myself going for a lighter grey color. Darker greys look more "serious," I guess. More formal, perhaps. I don't think I've got what it takes yet to pull off a black one though. I'm sticking to lighter, maybe what some would consider "friendlier," "less intimidating" colors. Besides, my dark brown Federation's about as dark as I would be comfortable having in a hat as of yet. As for the Stylemaster, if it looks anywhere near as tapered as my wool Jaxon c-crown, I'll still wear it, although a hat that tapered isn't my preference. It was my first fedora, and I actually wore it on a family cruise vacation, though. I'm just looking for a light grey fur felt to replace it, now. In regard to the dimensional brim thing, I'd have to say it's not really my preference either, although it works very well for the Fed IV and Indiana Jones fedoras in general. I'm fine with either raw-edged or bound-edge though, I haven't necessarily developed a preference yet.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Hmmm, I just learned that ordering pretty much any hat from EA with EMS express mail, as long as they have your color in stock, is about $30-40 cheaper than HatsDirect, and about equal to DavidMorgans' pricing. That Bluegrass Green Campdraft may just be too good to pass up. :)

I ordered a Bluegrass Green Campdraft from EA not long after I ordered my Silverbelly one. Unfortunately, they had them in stock in every size except mine. Mine should be coming in around Christmastime.

Neophyte

Mr E Train said:
I ordered a Bluegrass Green Campdraft from EA not long after I ordered my Silverbelly one. Unfortunately, they had them in stock in every size except mine. Mine should be coming in around Christmastime.

That must mean you are a size 62, right?

...or is that a personal question lol.

Neophyte

Mr E Train said:
Yes. Now you know my shame.

lol I feel your pain though. That big "Limited Edition" disclaimer keeps doing something to my head, making me more urgent to get one. I hope they keep that website up to date, because it would suck if when I ordered they tell me they have no 59s in stock.

Man, you must have a lot of trouble finding hats.
Well, good luck to you Mr. E.
I've gotta get some shut-eye. Goodnight everbody.

coble

A-List Customer
spoke with Akubra, they said they could make the style of the Australia movie hat worn by hugh jackman for 190 dollars. I don't think thats a bad deal at all.

Neophyte

Danofarlington, bless his heart, has convinced me that I need more variety in my hat selection (i.e. hold off on buying another Campdraft). Thus, I've decided to go with an Akubra Squatter in MidFawn or Black, preferrably black. I'd like to give DavidMorgan some of my business as well.

"Variety is the spice of life."

Neophyte

Um...well...lol.

Well, it's not set in stone yet. I'm really looking for a dark grey or black hat.
I don't really count the willow green Squatter (or the brown FedIV or the grey Fedora, for that matter), since it's no longer in my current rotation (not really a rotation, it's just the CD).

Wider Ribbon, Black or Grey color, shorter crown...plus I actually know how to bash a hat the way I want it now lol...oh, and it'll be the first hat I haven't ordered from HatsDirect...

...okay, maybe it isn't much of a variety, but I'm enamored with big crowns and wide brims...

...maybe I'm just making excuses that only make sense to me, you know, self-justification...oh well! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld