Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

James71

A-List Customer
The moonstone is quite a bit lighter than the carbon black in real life. Have you seen the light grey homburg that pacino wears in the godfather?

Moonstone looks like that. Its a stunning colour with the contrasting black band. I dont know how it would translate in a less formal hat though. Ive got a glen grey campdraft that I use with a black suit which looks great.

If I could pull off a homburg, it would be in that colour.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am embarrassed to say that I've not watched The Godfather yet :eek:, though I have purchased it :eusa_doh:.

I'm not sure with my complexion that I can pull it off, but then again, I've yet to see a pic of it in natural sunlight. Chuck Bobuck's looks great, but his pics always seem to be taken on cloudy days lol.

Thanks, though, James71. I'm going to go look for some movie stills right now :D.

EDIT: I see what you're talking about now. It DOES look great with a contrasting black ribbon. Unfortunately, the Squatter comes with a same-color ribbon.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
James71 said:
The moonstone is quite a bit lighter than the carbon black in real life. Have you seen the light grey homburg that pacino wears in the godfather?

Moonstone looks like that. Its a stunning colour with the contrasting black band. I dont know how it would translate in a less formal hat though. Ive got a glen grey campdraft that I use with a black suit which looks great.

If I could pull off a homburg, it would be in that colour.

You mean this homburg?

michael-corleone-al-pacino.jpg

I agree, it's definitely a good example of what moonstone looks like in an Akubra hat, even though this isn't by Akubra itself here. If Akubra made a moonstone homburg, I think I would buy that. Alas, we only have the black one that they offer, I believe.

I am embarrassed to say that I've not watched The Godfather yet , though I have purchased it

Well, do yourself a favor! It's considered by many critics to be among the best films of all time, if not the best. I personally do consider it the best though...

James71

A-List Customer
Oh Neo! You have to see the Godfather and the Godfather 2. I class them as some of the finest movies I have ever seen.

I have a rule to avoid movies with a number in the title, but this one was a beauty. I only recently watched them for the first time myself and was blown away by the craft put into those films. The subtle use of symbolism and absolutely amazing acting.

The first one has been described as one of the 4 finest movies ever made and I have no reason to refute that. The second one has been deemed the best sequel ever made, and again, I cannot dissagree.

Do yourself a favour and put aside a whole rainy day to sit and watch them.

Re the homburg:- Yes.... akubra only has it in black. Co-incidentally, I tried one on in the hattery on monday morning and it definitely doesnt suit me. I need a larger brim, which is a bugger because I would really like to wear one with a suit. (influenced no doubt by the above movie and Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes)

I also tried a squatter on and it looked pretty good. Might be one of these in my future I reckon. When my fern green CEO gets downgraded from "suit and tie" wear to "adventuring in the bush" wear (when my cattleman gets downgraded from "adventuring in the bush" to "mowing the lawn and working in the vege garden" ) I reckon my new green dress hat may very well be a squatter. A dark green hat is just so versatile that you have to have one in the selection.

James71

A-List Customer
A few Glen Grey campdraft pics.

Here it is next to a Silverbelly Campdraft

Compare1.jpg

Close up in real sunlight gives a reasonable colour indication.

Campdrft2.jpg

And again in real light, though a bit shady under the rose bush.

Campdrft1.jpg

Neophyte

I think I've pretty much narrowed down my decision to a Bluegrass Green Campdraft, for several reasons. One reason is that I love my Willow Green Squatter, but the shorter crown, at least the way I shaped it, doesn't look good with the "ample" 3'' brim. I likes me a wide brim lol.

Secondly, I just love green and find it goes with almost as much of my wardrobe as my Taupe Fawn Campdraft.

Thirdly, the Bluegrass Green color is not very well documented/vastly underrepresented here on the FedoraLounge, and over the entire Internet, for that matter. I think it would be doing a service to both myself and my fellow Loungers to really capture this rare speci---uh, color.

Fourth(ly?), I know the Campdraft works for me. I'm not as sure about the Squatter.

Finally, it's LIMITED EDITION at EverythingAustralian, which enhances its value in my opinion. They only have two left in my size, as well.

Thanks everyone who helped me with advice and pictures. I know what I want now, the only hard part will be putting the purchase off for a while (something I promised myself to do) lol.

P.S. I've also decided to watch The Godfather this weekend :D.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
James71 said:

I'm waiting on a Stylemaster in Moonstone. Made sure to request the contrasting band. It's a nice enough hat as is, but I really want a dark band on it.

I was a little surprised that Moonstone isn't as light as I expected but the contrasting band should take care of that.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
VitaminG said:
I'm waiting on a Stylemaster in Moonstone. Made sure to request the contrasting band. It's a nice enough hat as is, but I really want a dark band on it.

I was a little surprised that Moonstone isn't as light as I expected but the contrasting band should take care of that.

Looking forward to this. Be sure and post pics!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
VitaminG said:

Yes, please post pictures; both indoor and outdoor, of your upcoming moonstone Stylemaster! That may be the exact same hat I'm getting this September for my birthday. ;)

DAJE

One of the Regulars
I went and tried on a bunch of Akubras yesterday. One of the handy things about being in Australia is that I don't have to guess what colour an Akubra will turn out to be, I can go and look at them in real life. And try them on to see what fits.

Pretty much decided on a Stylemaster in Mid Brown (which is a different colour to Acorn Fawn: both are listed on the Akubra website as options for the Stylemaster.) The Brown is hard to describe, but I'd say it's a bit redder than the Acorn Fawn, which has more of a greeny-olive-brown tone to it.

The shop had a bunch of Bluegrass Green Stylemasters, too. Nice colour, definitley green. I'd like one in each colour, really, but that'd get very expensive.

I'm sure the folks who buy Moonstone Grey Akubras will be pleased with their purchases, they look very snazzy in real life. All the Moonstones I saw had black trim. They are a light colour, but it's still grey, not a silvery-white. I'm also considering a Carbon Grey, which is a lot darker.

I had a look at the straws, too, but they only had a few models in stock. They'll be getting a shipment in for spring quite soon, so I'll look more closely then.

Neophyte

Good choice with the MB there, DAJE :eusa_clap . You don't see much MidBrown around here, but it really is a beautiful color.

I myself am interested in a Bluegrass Green hat, so it was great to here a compliment on the color from someone who has/had it right in front of them.

It's too bad you couldn't get a better look at their straws, I was kinda interested in their capricorn and balmoral.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Neophyte said:
Good choice with the MB there, DAJE :eusa_clap . You don't see much MidBrown around here, but it really is a beautiful color.

I myself am interested in a Bluegrass Green hat, so it was great to here a compliment on the color from someone who has/had it right in front of them.

It's too bad you couldn't get a better look at their straws, I was kinda interested in their capricorn and balmoral.

I'll report back on the straws when I get a closer look at them. I've read opinions on them here but seeing for yourself is always a better option. Like with the Akubra brown, I didn't really get it till I tried one on and looked in the mirror. Suddenly it looked right.

I've just got off the phone with my girlfriend, who is encouraging me to go back and buy the hat tom'w. Obviously the girl's a keeper. ;)

Anyway, the green Stylemasters look very nice to me. However, they might be a different green, since the shop lists both "Green" and "Bluegrass Green" as separate options. The ones I noticed were definitley green, not blueish at all, so I suspect they're not "Bluegrass Green".

Since I plan to go back and spend money tom'w I'll have a closer look at the labels and figure out exactly what shade of green I'm talking about. They have loads of Akubras, so I might be able to compare the greens... I'll report back for you in a few days.

All the Akubra colours look pretty tasteful to me; as I said, the main problem is that I'd like one in every colour...

Neophyte

DAJE said:
I'll report back on the straws when I get a closer look at them. I've read opinions on them here but seeing for yourself is always a better option. Like with the Akubra brown, I didn't really get it till I tried one on and looked in the mirror. Suddenly it looked right.

I've just got off the phone with my girlfriend, who is encouraging me to go back and buy the hat tom'w. Obviously the girl's a keeper. ;)

Anyway, the green Stylemasters look very nice to me. However, they might be a different green, since the shop lists both "Green" and "Bluegrass Green" as separate options. The ones I noticed were definitley green, not blueish at all, so I suspect they're not "Bluegrass Green".

Since I plan to go back and spend money tom'w I'll have a closer look at the labels and figure out exactly what shade of green I'm talking about. They have loads of Akubras, so I might be able to compare the greens... I'll report back for you in a few days.

All the Akubra colours look pretty tasteful to me; as I said, the main problem is that I'd like one in every colour...

lol A keeper for sure.

I don't think bluegrass green has any blue, I think it just references bluegrass music or the Oz equivalent. I do know that they have a standard Green color for their straw Capricorn.

I understand what you mean about that browns. There's a pic somewhere on the lounge of someone's MidBrown Campdraft, and it got a LOT of compliments.

Here is Bluegrass Green, as photographed by a fellow Lounger, Lloyd. It comes off in his photos a bit grey, though, and he assures me that the color is much richer:
AkubraCampdraftFeb2820103.jpg
AkubraCampdraftFeb2820103.jpg
suaveLloyd.jpg

DAJE

One of the Regulars
I like bluegrass music, so the name isn't a mystery to me.

I'm starting to think that Akubra colours are just not meant to be photographed. They all seem to look better in person than they do in any photos I've seen. The problem with photos is that first you have the effect of whatever camera you use, then you have the effect of whatever your monitor does to the display...

I could take a picture and hold the hat next to my screen and match the shade perfectly, but that doesn't mean your monitor would display the same shade at all. And that doesn't even take into account the effect of different light sources on the same material...

I've been looking at other pictures of Bluegrass Green Akubras and now I'm just confused. That could be the colour I saw yesterday, but maybe it isn't. I suspect that the colour I saw was a kind of mid-green and that Bluegrass Green is a little more grey/bluish and a little darker.

To me, on my screen, Lloyd's hat looks like Carbon Grey in the first pic.

They had Capricorns in the shop, the green one doesn't appeal to me, that green is bit too "St Patrick's Day novelty hat" for my tastes. I'm undecided about the Capricorns in general, the Fawn one looks pretty good but I'd really need to try one on and the only ones they had in stock were two or three sizes too small for me. It won't be straw-hat time for a month or two here yet, so I have plenty of time to think it over.

Neophyte

I know what you mean. Out of ALL of my pics, only the picture in my avatar even closely reflects the Akubra Willow Green. I've only seen a few people accurately capture the colors, like FFF, but those guys have studios and expensive camera equipment, I'm assuming. I agree with you, though, that the Capricorn "Green" is rather nasty and cheap looking.

...A mid-green, huh...I think you might be right. Willow Green is a rich, dark green, so I can imagine Bluegrass Green to be a paler/more greyish green.

James71

A-List Customer
Re the akubra straws. I went in to buy one a few weeks ago. I didnt like them. They are very hard and rough. Like a brillo pad. And as stiff as a plastic box. Im a huge akubra fan (Ive got a dozen or so of them), but the straws just didnt do it for me.

I ended up with this instead.

straw3.jpg

danofarlington

James71 said:
Re the akubra straws. I went in to buy one a few weeks ago. I didnt like them. They are very hard and rough. Like a brillo pad. And as stiff as a plastic box. Im a huge akubra fan (Ive got a dozen or so of them), but the straws just didnt do it for me.

I ended up with this instead.

straw3.jpg
One day you can make the leap to a true Panama hat, with a fine weave. Those are cool. It's like the difference between a polyester suit and a fine wool suit. It makes you look more affluent, more elite. I like the look.

James71

A-List Customer
Im not sure what the brand is interchange, and its at home on the hat rack. (Im at work). Its hand woven in Ecuadore and I have been reliable informed its a Brise weave with a back woven edge.

Since it wasnt made in Panama does that mean that its not a Panama, But rather an Ecuadore hat? Doesnt roll off the tounge nearly as well, though its awfully comfortable in the hot weather.

Its very soft, and yet holds its shape really well. Heres a few more pics.

Straw1.jpg

straw4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe