Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
jbucklin said:
But then again, how could I resist this? (yes---off-topic, I know)
Photo133.jpg
I really like the color of that hat.What is the name of that color?

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Neophyte said:
Well it ain't an Akubra, but that particular shade is called Sage Green.
I thought that was an Akubra.Really nice color.I tried to order a Biltmore in sage green but I was told Biltmore isn't currrently manufacturing hats.

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Neophyte said:
Well that's a Stetson Chatham, why don't you just go Stetson?
I mean, one company's SAGE won't necessarily be identical to another's.
I think I will get a Chatham.I had previously considered getting a Stetson Temple in sage.But I decided not to because of the black band.I prefer hats with matching bands.So I like how the Chatham has a matching band.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just sent an email to DavidMorgan. I'm looking to see if they can locate an Akubra Squatter in either Mid-Fawn or Black that runs slightly larger than the stated size 59 (but less than 60, just in case some of you jokesters were thinking of suggesting that lol). HatsDirect was able to do this for me when I was ordering my Campdraft, so hopefully DavidMorgan can do it too!

At any rate, I ought to have a hat coming late this week or early next. There's an induction ceremony into NSCS in October, and I will be prepared for it (I tried wearing dress clothes with my Campdraft, and it just didn't do it for me. A lot of people can pull it off, but I don't quite like it myself) lol.

jbucklin

Practically Family
BlackBrim said:
I think I will get a Chatham.I had previously considered getting a Stetson Temple in sage.But I decided not to because of the black band.I prefer hats with matching bands.So I like how the Chatham has a matching band.

BlackBrim, make sure if/when you buy one you specify the matching ribbon on the Sage Chatham---it seems I read somewhere that the hat is offered with a black ribbon as well. Could be wrong though. Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask, just to be on the safe side.

Neophyte

By the way, how did your Chatham get onto the Akubra Overload page lol ?

Oh yeah, you were talking about not being able to get another hat until September lol! This is off topic, but tell me: Did your wife cancel the deal?

jbucklin

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
By the way, how did your Chatham get onto the Akubra Overload page lol ?

Oh yeah, you were talking about not being able to get another hat until September lol! This is off topic, but tell me: Did your wife cancel the deal?

I still don't know why I was talking about my birthday gift on this thread! [huh] I guess I could scroll upward and reread.

I don't think the deal is necessarily off---especially since the 2 hats I've bought have been from me saving my allowance (both my wife and I "pay" ourselves weekly) and also from selling CDs (I've got a HUGE collection). Once I started talking about Art's HST ($350) I volunteered to chip in to defray the cost. So, I'm thinking I'll just either pay for the entire thing, or let my wife pay just part of the total cost. Either way, I'm planning to get the hat---one way or another.

And to keep this thing on-topic. I might just get another Akubra! lol

Neophyte

I think you branched off when I mentioned a page or 2 ago that I was not displaying much self-control with my hat-buying this summer, after which you mentioned the deal lol.

I don't think you can just veer back on topic by name-dropping Akubra, either lol. You gotta mention some specifics, even if you don't mean it.

jbucklin

Practically Family
"You gotta mention some specifics, even if you don't mean it."

Well, uh, okay---here goes: That Campdraft sure is tempting!!! ;)

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
jbucklin said:
BlackBrim, make sure if/when you buy one you specify the matching ribbon on the Sage Chatham---it seems I read somewhere that the hat is offered with a black ribbon as well. Could be wrong though. Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask, just to be on the safe side.
Wow,thanks for the tip.I would have been very disappointed if I ended up with a black band.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
I'll soon be joining the ranks of Akubra owners after scoring a Fed III Deluxe from eBay earlier today. It will be my first "good" hat -- my first fur felt fedora joining my lineup of wool felt hats. After reading so many great things about Akubras here and elsewhere, I'm really looking forward to its arrival.

theinterchange

One Too Many
J B said:
Imperial quality, yes. That's what most Akubra hats are too, so I have a feeling that this is a potentially common phenomenon, although I'm not sure about Heritage felts.

Any Heritage felt Akubra owners here relate to the sweat stain problems?

I've done a good deal of sweating in my Federation Deluxe many times with no sweat stains.

Sunday, I went to an outdoor outlet mall wearing my tawny fawn Fed [Imperial] and naturally there was sweat, but nothing came through the band and liner.

Randy

Neophyte

It's odd. I don't have any staining going on, thank goodness.

When I looked into the hat, the liner had been glued just above the area I sweated in. If I did indeed sweat through the felt, then I've found the culprit.

I think, though, that this might just be coincidence. I'm thinking that I grabbed the front of my hat with my sweat-dripping gloves, but that still doesn't explain why the only thing on the surface of the hat that was wet was the front portion of the ribbon...

...It's a mystery for sure. I'm not worried about durability, it's just an odd occurence that got me thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe