Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

koopkooper

Practically Family
Reality tv shows...they drive me crazy, that and these reality game shows.
When I flick on the tv all I want is a sitcom or a movie....frustrating when you scroll through the TV guide and it's all reality tv and reality game shows....ironic there is no reality in the shows in that it's all concocted by the producers along with the fact that the "reality stars" have about two minutes of fame and then it's all gone!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That is a beautiful home.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the rough diamonds; or as my nice friends put it, houses with "potential." My husband says if there isn't at least one hole in the roof and several species of wild animals living in it, I'm not interested.

Around here the real estate agents describe a house like that as having "plenny a' chahm."

I have a soft spot in my heart for the rough diamonds; or as my nice friends put it, houses with "potential." My husband says if there isn't at least one hole in the roof and several species of wild animals living in it, I'm not interested.
There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you can recognize that fine line between a "fixer-upper" and a "tearer-downer". :D

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you can recognize that fine line between a "fixer-upper" and a "tearer-downer". :D

Location, Location, location.

A $90,000 1795 vintage Federal manse in the Boston ghetto in 1980 was a good value, despite the lack of sash, rotten sills, collapsing chimneys and foundaiton and the holes in the roof and floors. On the other hand, a nice brick "Banker's Tudor" in certain neighborhoods of Detroit would be a poor value at $3,000, even were it in reasonably decent shape.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Around here the real estate agents describe a house like that as having "plenny a' chahm."

The current house we are working on (and will move into next year) had the most honest real estate agent I've ever met. She told me, "It's not livable. There's no flooring. It's close to the road. We don't know how the well is. There's no furnace. You'll need to get a certificate of occupancy. It is all hacked up. There is nothing original. There's three apartments. Some of the windows are broken. There's an active leak in the roof" and so on...

When I got there I was expecting it to be *so bad* that I was pleasantly surprised by how much better it was than advertised. :)

Location, Location, location.

A $90,000 1795 vintage Federal manse in the Boston ghetto in 1980 was a good value, despite the lack of sash, rotten sills, collapsing chimneys and foundaiton and the holes in the roof and floors. On the other hand, a nice brick "Banker's Tudor" in certain neighborhoods of Detroit would be a poor value at $3,000, even were it in reasonably decent shape.

It would be a bad investment at $1. There is a story somewhere where a woman went for a 5,000 square foot house. She fixed it up and got guard dogs etc. Well, the crooks poisoned the dogs and robbed her. Then she got an alarm. The crooks robbed her again and burned down the house in the process. Nice investment. :doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
At the end of peoples post, Sent By Android, or Apple Iphone, who cares! I know the sender can't help it, but I will be glad when this trend is over.

m0nk

One Too Many
Paying for software... I'm not suggesting piracy, but rather free or open source software. For example, Microsoft Windows is obsolete, but there are a lot of people that are slowly catching on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

m0nk

One Too Many
And there's that tag.... I removed it from the older version of Tapatalk but it came back with the latest upgrade....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Paying for software... I'm not suggesting piracy, but rather free or open source software. For example, Microsoft Windows is obsolete, but there are a lot of people that are slowly catching on there.

Who pays for the development of the product that's never going to generate income?

And what's wrong with Windows? Many of us have happily been using it for years.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It's a form of advertising; I don't think that "trend" will ever go away.

So true !
Which reminds me of the first time I signed up to facebook.
Not being computer savvy with a wife who resisted of having
one in the home, saying that it was only practical for geeks who did
business at home. Not implying anything obscene really...just that
she saw it as a waste of time.
When I retired, her son gave me a Mac for Christmas. Although it
has taken a "long" time to understand the way it functions..I'm
having a good time .
Recently I was cruising through the messages & stories on F. B.
On the side bars were "ads" or promos suggesting that if I wanted to meet
"single girls" & so on. Usually I just block it out & continue with replying to
friends.
But at one time my wife peeked & asked...why was I looking at the pictures
of women who were asking for me.

I told her that it was not my idea. But I did post a question to the site about
this. Then it occurred to me that these were some of the sponsors that made
it possible to have this online.:eusa_doh:

Now this information might not be correct at all ...just thought about it when
you posted .

Last edited:

Forum statistics