Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Nobert

Practically Family
"Print is dead."

All the talk of "print is dead" always puts me in mind of an argument by cartoonist (and magazine illustrator) Chris Ware, who got fed up during his art school days with the notion that "painting is dead." As he pointed out, "The only way that would be true is if nobody on earth was interested in making, looking at, or talking about paintings, which obviously isn't the case. It's not as if all the painters woke up one morning and found their canvasses face down on the floor." Economics (another human fabrication, in which we are all forced to believe) certainly is having a corrosive influence, but this is not an act of nature, like Dutch Elm disease. It's something we choose. It's not even a matter of, "Do not go quietly into that dark night," when in this case the dark night is a walk-in closet with the lights turned off.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Paying for software... I'm not suggesting piracy, but rather free or open source software. For example, Microsoft Windows is obsolete, but there are a lot of people that are slowly catching on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

That's not how the market works,
Dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hatguy1

One Too Many
What's something modern I won't miss when it goes away? The trend that the answer to any question is "It's on our website (somewhere)" requiring someone to spend a ton more time hunting around for it when the answer would come in 15 seconds if they allowed ya to ask a live person.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Reality tv shows...they drive me crazy, that and these reality game shows.
When I flick on the tv all I want is a sitcom or a movie....frustrating when you scroll through the TV guide and it's all reality tv and reality game shows....ironic there is no reality in the shows in that it's all concocted by the producers along with the fact that the "reality stars" have about two minutes of fame and then it's all gone!

Amen! What you said! The fact
There's an audience/viewership for this garbage is living proof of "the dumbing down of America."

hatguy1

One Too Many
Something else I won't miss is the modern fetish of speaking in buzz speak - "low hanging fruit," "partner with," "team" and blahblahblah. Seems like most organizational people have lost their ability for plain speech anymore.

Something else I won't miss is the modern fetish of speaking in buzz speak - "low hanging fruit," "partner with," "team" and blahblahblah. Seems like most organizational people have lost their ability for plain speech anymore.

Don't forget "trending." I really hate that one.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Is it because they keep crawling back out from under the bus? Maybe if they just stayed there under it.... :hat:

Last edited:
sasana5u.jpg

UNCLASSY????!!!!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up

Oh I have to go through a mandatory training class every year, and our "presenters" talk this way.
When the statement was made (in last year's class) a coworker blurted out "what kind of fruit?"
Then proceeded to name them...is it a pear? Is it an apple? Maybe an orange?
To say the presenter was annoyed is putting it mildly. :D
I have to admit I like my friend, but he's annoying to most people, except 3 and I'm one of them.

Reality shows are good, if they are reality.
Nowdays they are scripted, like that's a shock.
Gone are the Candid Camera shows, that had real or somewhat real reactions.
I found out the other day that one of my favorite reality shows (Buying Hawaii) is scripted.
You have to script a show about buying houses in Hawaii? Geez.
I guess that's to keep someone from saying "we pay you all this money and this is the hell hole you show us?"
With some of the houses, for the money they cost (since land is expensive there), I've even asked that question! :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82