Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Roxbury? Figures. :p
Well I had just finished restoring a center-hall gambrel which had been the oldest house in Charlestown, and the decrepit tenament in Roxbury which had once been a fine Federal manse was simply begging for similar renovation. The house had fine proportions and an excellent lay-out, and a lovely, large corner lot with a view of the historic First Church. A generation of blockbusting, white flight (often financed by arson and its subsequent fire insurance settlements, as mortgage loans were not available) and the general racial unrest which culminated in the ill-starred school busing program had absolutely decimated real estate values. Fine, though run-down, homes were available for next to nothing. Roxbury in 1980 differed from, say, the Detroit of today in that it was a distinct neighborhood with strong natural boundries, good location and excellent transportation facilities in close proximity to an otherwise red-hot real estate market. I did very well with that place, along with the other homes that I renovated in that community. Subsequent owners have divided all of these places into condominiums, which have a history of selling pretty well at good prices.

Here's an old photo of the place. I sort of miss it.

Well I had just finished restoring a center-hall gambrel which had been the oldest house in Charlestown, and the decrepit tenament in Roxbury which had once been a fine Federal manse was simply begging for similar renovation. The house had fine proportions and an excellent lay-out, and a lovely, large corner lot with a view of the historic First Church. A generation of blockbusting, white flight (often financed by arson and its subsequent fire insurance settlements, as mortgage loans were not available) and the general racial unrest which culminated in the ill-starred school busing program had absolutely decimated real estate values. Fine, though run-down, homes were available for next to nothing. Roxbury in 1980 differed from, say, the Detroit of today in that it was a distinct neighborhood with strong natural boundries, good location and excellent transportation facilities in close proximity to an otherwise red-hot real estate market. I did very well with that place, along with the other homes that I renovated in that community. Subsequent owners have divided all of these places into condominiums, which have a history of selling pretty well at good prices.

Here's an old photo of the place. I sort of miss it.

That isn't bad and nothing like Detroit. lol lol

Alright...you wanna know what really grinds my gears? College football games *after* January 1st. The college football season ends today. New Year's Day. I have no interest in anything that happens with college football until next season.

I have no interest in ANY game where costumed individuals run around on a field and complain about not making $20,000,000 for a game they played for free as a child on some sand lot. lol lol

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
That isn't bad and nothing like Detroit. lol lol

Well, when I began renovation the right hand corner of the house had fallen off of the foundation. The gap was stuffed with newspapers sated 1926 and plastered over on the inside. There were three holes in the roof, and all of the window sash, plumbing, and heating plant was missing, as were all of the electric fixtures. The large block of flats across the street had recently burned in a massive conflagration which took out eleven buildings and had killed five people. At the time that I purchased the old Manse there were no occupied dwellings in the surrounding block, and about half of the immediate neighborhood consisted of burnt-out shells. It looked more like the worst parts of Detroit than you might care to believe.

Well, when I began renovation the right hand corner of the house had fallen off of the foundation. The gap was stuffed with newspapers sated 1926 and plastered over on the inside. There were three holes in the roof, and all of the window sash, plumbing, and heating plant was missing, as were all of the electric fixtures. The large block of flats across the street had recently burned in a massive conflagration which took out eleven buildings and had killed five people. At the time that I purchased the old Manse there were no occupied dwellings in the surrounding block, and about half of the immediate neighborhood consisted of burnt-out shells. It looked more like the worst parts of Detroit than you might care to believe.

Holy mackerel! I would have run away screaming. There might have been another fire on the block.

Uh oh, while that road isn't used much, you went down it. :D

The silver peace dollar road. Yes, I would love five pounds free please.

Silver-Peace-Dollar.jpg

Alright...you wanna know what really grinds my gears? College football games *after* January 1st. The college football season ends today. New Year's Day. I have no interest in anything that happens with college football until next season.

I have no interest in ANY game where costumed individuals run around on a field and complain about not making $20,000,000 for a game they played for free as a child on some sand lot. lol lol

I was in Pasadena for the Rose Parade today and I got stuck with all the Michigan State fans. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82