Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

The worst I have heard of is a case told here by a former school teacher. At the beginning of the year you can imagine what kind of confusion you can expect. Well she found one that was beyond the pale. The name was pronounced Shiteed but written with "head" at the end instead of "eed." :doh:
Someone clearly legally incompetent to name a child. :doh:

Nobert

Practically Family
I was imagining, recently, a woman giving birth about 75 years from now, her elderly grandmother saying to her something like, "Ethel? What kind of name is that for a girl? What's wrong with a good old, traditional name like Brianna or Shaneequa?"

Mickey85

New in Town
A few more:

Key choppers

Single use fountain pens

Unrepairable dress shoes

Plastic everything in place of wood or metal

Pressboard, pressed sawdust wood laminate

Plastic hollow doors

Prefabricated houses

Those tightly curled woven cowboy hats (think Toby Keith)

People that say l.o.l. out loud (I realize the redundancy)

Flat brimmed baseball caps

Keeping stickers and tags on clothes and hats

The entire hip hop culture (though I do like 80s and 90s rap and hip hop music)

"Bling"

Thin, weak designer jeans

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Polyester tennis shirts
Texting
Listening to a gadzillion options before speaking to a human on the phone
plastic containers for drinks

Not sure if they will become obsolete...but I can hope ...[huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
*Airline-size bottles of liquor sold over the counter at the sleazy drug store around the corner to stumbling rummies who leave the broken shards of the empties all over the parking lots and sidewalks.

*People who've lived here for six weeks who think it's cute to joke about the weather.

*Well-off upper-middle-class people who make a big deal about Senior Discounts.

*People who always show up twenty minutes late for a movie "so they don't have to watch the previews" and then complain when they miss the beginning.

*Professional poker players.

*The word "hater."

*People who lay out thirty items on the check-out belt in the "15 items or fewer" line and then apologize to the clerk for being over the limit because they know full well she won't tell them to take the stuff off and go to the back of the regular line.

*Jacoby Ellsbury.

The worst I have heard of is a case told here by a former school teacher. At the beginning of the year you can imagine what kind of confusion you can expect. Well she found one that was beyond the pale. The name was pronounced Shiteed but written with "head" at the end instead of "eed." :doh:

I've been hearing this urban legend for over 30 years now, it's probably much older. I don't believe there's ever actually been a documented case of a kid with that name. It's a particularly popular story among teachers, as it would be especially embarrassing for them to announce the child's name with other children present.

Suddenly the names of the Asian twins from Austin Powers comes to mind. :p

628x471.jpg

Mickey85

New in Town
I've been hearing this urban legend for over 30 years now, it's probably much older. I don't believe there's ever actually been a documented case of a kid with that name. It's a particularly popular story among teachers, as it would be especially embarrassing for them to announce the child's name with other children present.

Another urban legend is the mom who, when asked what she wants to name her daughter, said "I like the name you guys gave her... Female (pronounced feh-mal-ey)"

Another gear grinder is the guy who always tells stories about "A buddy of mine" without divulging a name. I always call them out on that. Most times, they can't produce a name readily. Actually, let's just say the word buddy drives me nuts.

*People who lay out thirty items on the check-out belt in the "15 items or fewer" line and then apologize to the clerk for being over the limit because they know full well she won't tell them to take the stuff off and go to the back of the regular line.

There is a grocery chain called Publix (I think they're out of Florida) that has been operating in our area for the past few years, and they pride themselves on their customer service. One thing I have witnessed time and again there, which seems on the surface to fly in the face of customer service, is the express lane cashier throwing someone out of the line for having too many items. It's darn entertaining to be standing there with just a 12 pack behind someone with a cart full, and as they start loading their haul onto the belt the express nazi calls them out and sends them packing to another line. The expression on the offending parties face never fails to make my day. That's the kind of customer service that keeps me coming back.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Harp

I'll Lock Up
*Professional poker players.

"Good high-stakes poker players are neither noble nor greedy.
They've sized up their fellow players, know a good deal about probabilities and tendencies,
and wish like poets that their most audacious moves be perceived as part of a series of credible gestures."

---Stephen Dunn

I know the teacher. She is still here on the Lounge. lol lol Her name is Joie Devive and it was indeed in her class. I never heard of it before. Mark this one true. lol lol She didn't announce the kid's name. She asked her how to pronounce it. :p It wasn't 30 years ago either.

I know the teacher. She is still here on the Lounge. lol lol Her name is Joie Devive and it was indeed in her class. I never heard of it before. Mark this one true. lol lol She didn't announce the kid's name. She asked her how to pronounce it. :p It wasn't 30 years ago either.

Everyone heard it from a friend. My mother, a teacher, told that story at least 30 years ago, she probably heard it many years before that.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

No doubt But Mr. Positive Wassermann Johnson, and Ms. Labia Minora Jackson do exist, thanks to interns in lying in hospitals who thought it amusing to suggest mellifluous names to unlettered mothers. Both of the aforementioned persons went to the trouble of having legal name changes after they reached majority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82