Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

This is one of my wife's t.v. picks. It's not a bad show at all. The writers have developed some very good characters.
Oddly enough, the main character Piper Chapman appears to have absolutely no redeeming qualities about her. Her back story did nothing to garner sympathy or understanding.
I've been waiting and wishing she's received that well deserved shanking and be done with her. The show wouldn't suffer one bit.
Btw, a few scenes are filmed in our area of Astoria, Queens.

While it was for selfish / self-preservation motives, she went up a notch in my esteem when she beat the heck out of the psycho girl from the laundry. But you make a good point - she is a bit Seinfeld-like in that there isn't much to like about her, but there is something engaging about her character's narcissism and distorted sense of herself (she seems truly surprised when, upon reflection, she sees how selfish she has been about something or to someone). And in fairness, she has gone to bat for a few of the other prisoners from time to time - can't think of an example - but she does, seemingly spontaneously, do something nice for someone once in awhile.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
This is one of my wife's t.v. picks. It's not a bad show at all. The writers have developed some very good characters.
Oddly enough, the main character Piper Chapman appears to have absolutely no redeeming qualities about her. Her back story did nothing to garner sympathy or understanding.
I've been waiting and wishing she's received that well deserved shanking and be done with her. The show wouldn't suffer one bit.
Btw, a few scenes are filmed in our area of Astoria, Queens.

ASTORIA???!!!!! LOL... talk about a blast from the past. Know the area well having grown up in South Jamaica, Queens. I thought some of them single family homes looked a bit "familiar".

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
While it was for selfish / self-preservation motives, she went up a notch in my esteem when she beat the heck out of the psycho girl from the laundry. But you make a good point - she is a bit Seinfeld-like in that there isn't much to like about her, but there is something engaging about her character's narcissism and distorted sense of herself (she seems truly surprised when, upon reflection, she sees how selfish she has been about something or to someone). And in fairness, she has gone to bat for a few of the other prisoners from time to time - can't think of an example - but she does, seemingly spontaneously, do something nice for someone once in awhile.

I don't have a problem with Piper... she's been slashed, beaten, mentally abused, betrayed in almost every way possible.. I don't have a problem with her. She's SOME redeeming characteristics... Her ex-fiance.... now THAT'S the $#$!!##%%#!!! I want to kill in the worst way. A whole generation of shiftless, selfish, lazy basterds who's "fake it till you make it" attitude drives me to drink. His pimping of Piper's misery to advance his career is nothing special or new... it just makes my blood boil.

Worf

I don't have a problem with Piper... she's been slashed, beaten, mentally abused, betrayed in almost every way possible.. I don't have a problem with her. She's SOME redeeming characteristics... Her ex-fiance.... now THAT'S the $#$!!##%%#!!! I want to kill in the worst way. A whole generation of shiftless, selfish, lazy basterds who's "fake it till you make it" attitude drives me to drink. His pimping of Piper's misery to advance his career is nothing special or new... it just makes my blood boil.

Worf

I agree completely, but since my girlfriend has such disgust for him, such a visceral dislike of him (like you do) - that I find I dislike him in a more remote way. He is someone my father wouldn't even consider a man (and I agree, but my father would have expressed it so much better with just a look or a grunt of disdain).

Boinciel

New in Town
Junjo Kirari 009.mp4_snapshot_11.00_[2014.07.03_20.23.22].jpg
Junjo Kirari 038.mp4_snapshot_09.23_[2014.07.05_16.50.46].jpg
Junjo Kirari 049.mp4_snapshot_04.49_[2014.07.06_13.45.34].jpg
Junjo Kirari 064.mp4_snapshot_01.12_[2014.07.08_00.28.14].jpg

Junjo Kirari, a very nice Japanese drama about the life of a famous jazz pianist. It has a severe lack of accurate neckties or collared shirts; only about 1 in 6 of the suits actually might be vintage.

History Detectives, The Glenn Miller disappearance. I think they came to the right conclusion!

Is this "History Detectives: Special Investigations" the new version of what had been "History Detectives?"

It seems the show is different in that it now focuses more on a historical event / mystery and tries to solve that mystery than the old show which focused on three or four historical items a show and tried to explore their specific history and relevance. It also is different in that this new version seems more staged - the investigators seem to be playing roles and reading from scripts much of the time (those "informal" chats feel very forced); whereas, it felt more natural in the old format. Also, it seems a little lighter, a little more superficial than the old show where it felt they really dug into the minutia of an item's history.

What have others thought / felt about this new version?

Last edited:

rjb1

Practically Family
"Is this "History Detectives: Special Investigations" the new version of what had been "History Detectives?" "

A slightly-revised version of the same basic idea. The difference is going from several small items to a larger topic, as you said. I like both so won't be critical of the change. Same people (mostly) and it's still a bit "fakey" to me. I sometimes wonder about what they say: For example, the lead guy saying he had never heard of the "friendly-fire/bombing" theory of Glenn Miller's disappearance. I have known about that one for years, so why hasn't he, if he's enough of a historian to have his own TV show.

Still, it's far better than anything on the History Channel, so I'll take it and be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82