Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Saw Jersey Boys when it premiered yesterday. Several fine cars of the early 1950's featured in the first part of the movie, including a really impressive Packard used by the local mob boss. Music and acting were not too bad, either.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Dr. No. Always love to watch this. Filmed the year I was born (1962) which was also the year they built Dodger Stadium in Chavez Ravine. No connection, of course.

Dr. No. Always love to watch this. Filmed the year I was born (1962) which was also the year they built Dodger Stadium in Chavez Ravine. No connection, of course.

I saw it recently and by chance and it reminded me of how well it has held up as entertainment and, also, as a style time capsule. Really enjoyed watching it.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I finally watched Flying Leathernecks with John Wayne. Good movie, but you already know the formula, just not who it all happens to.

Later

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^ Man I love that Avatar of yours... Real "Oklahoma Bad Man"!!!! As for the movie... it's alright... more realistic than most John Wayne WWII epics.

Worf

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"I Wake Up Screaming" (1941) with Victor Mature, Betty Grable, Carole Landis and Laird Cregar as a very creepy Inspector Ed Cornell. It was remade, almost word for word, in 1953 as "Vicki" with Richard Boone as Ed Cornell and Jeane Crain as Jill Lynn.

"What a Woman" with Rosalind Russell, Brian Aherne and Willard Parker. The forced-from-the-getgo plot has Russell playing a talent agent hired to find an actor to play the star of a book she promoted for a recluse author. And, and this is beyond forced, the author is the only person she can find that fits the actor's physical features. Meanwhile, Aherne is a smug magazine writer forced by his editor to do a successful-woman-in-business piece on Russell.

Basically, a half-screwball comedy takes flight with a love triangle developing between the three of them (Willard loves Russell, Russell does not reciprocate, but has unacknowledged feelings for Aherne, who is fighting his own feelings for Russell). I won't spoil the story if you happen to catch it, but you will have figured it out very, very early on anyway.

The only two things to argue for the picture is Russell - still firing off dialogue at the same warp speed as "His Gal Friday" and unintentionally stealing scenes by dint of talent and personality - and the period details of the sets and clothes.

I caught this on "GetTV" some buried-deep-in-the-thousands channel on cable that plays some awesome classic and obscure old movies (some that I've never seen on TCM or elsewhere), but with commercials that segue like toast popping up (they have to work on that). Despite my carping about the commercials (which I skip by DVR anyway), I am really glad to have another source (than TCM) for old movies.

Last edited:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
On Friday saw the new X-Men movie with youngest Hood. It was fun explaining some of the 70s references to him. If I may, I would like to grouse about the inclusion of profanity in a super-hero movie. More than ever I am reminded that PG-13 is the new R. Bummed that I was sort of responsible for exposing my kid to rotten language.
Also caught, on the Warner Archive, Conflict (1945) with Bogey, Sidney Greenstreet, and Alexis Smith. Very fun sort of "psychological" thriller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe