Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I'm watching "The Group" now. It was made in 1966 and based on a book by Mary McCarthy about the class of 1933. I find it kind of funny looking at their attempt to portray 1933, it's so far off in my opinion and looks more like the 1966 period that it was actually filmed in.

BigFitz

Practically Family
NVG-9496-06.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
War Horse on DVD. Not Spielberg's best - not everything in it works - though awesome in parts, and it felt like he was channeling John Ford (and other old Hollywood masters, to a lesser extent) more directly than usual. Gorgeous to look at, with some classic Spielberg-amazing sequences, especially the war stuff. It got me psyched for Lincoln.

I'm seeing Skyfall tonight with my son...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
War Horse on DVD. Not Spielberg's best - not everything in it works - though awesome in parts, and it felt like he was channeling John Ford (and other old Hollywood masters, to a lesser extent) more directly than usual. Gorgeous to look at, with some classic Spielberg-amazing sequences, especially the war stuff. It got me psyched for Lincoln.

I'm seeing Skyfall tonight with my son...

Hey Doc:
Interesting you should mention "War Horse", I've got it in my Netflix cue as we speak. My son saw it last year and thought it was bor-ring. In that we're probably both more historically enraptured than our respective son's we might have gotten a bit more out of it. I have my SkyFall review in that thread. Hope you're good, and hurricane Sandy wasn't too rough on ya.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Well, as I said, War Horse has its problems, namely that it's too long and episodic - and not all the episodes are equally interesting. Plus, it's got a central character who's a horse, so we can only experience things through his POV accurately to a certain extant (since - thankfully - they chose not to use the horse's internal narration). But between some thrilling sequences, a great cast (I mean: the two Brit Army officers are played by Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch!), and a real sense of old-school Hollywood - especially the overwhelming John Ford feeling in some parts - it's very worthwhile. (But I can definitely see how a youngster used to today's cut-to-the-chase storytelling might be bored.)

Sandy: Luckily, I didn't lose my home or anything, but I was without power for EIGHT DAYS, which was an enormous pain!

howardeye

Practically Family
Watching Strangers on a Train staring Robert Walker on TCM. I never liked this guy after seeing this movie for the first time years ago. He does look great in the Fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe