Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

A.R. McVintage

imoldfashioned said:
Oh, god, just reading that gives me the creeps!

The first time I saw that movie was on tv pre-VCR so it was like 2am. I was doing my homework and kind of half paying attention to it at first before getting completely sucked in. That ending still scares the beejezus out of me.

Wasn't Lee in the RAF? Intelligence or some such? I'm too lazy to wander over to Wikipedia...:rolleyes:

The part that creeps my mother out is the bleeting of the animals as it burns. What gets me is how the people all stand around and sing, like the Whos at the end of the Grinch.

A.R. McVintage

Miss Neecerie said:
Here is what they say about dating Christmas Story

Based on certain key references to popular culture in the film, the story probably takes place in December 1939, the year the MGM film The Wizard of Oz came out. In December 1940, Ovaltine's sponsorship of the Little Orphan Annie radio broadcasts had been over for 11 months.[17][18] Additionally, the Old Man's negative reference to the Chicago Bears makes 1939 most likely, since on Dec. 8, 1940 the Bears had just beaten the Washington Redskins 73-0 for the NFL Championship and his Chicago "Chipmunks" comment would hardly make sense. The World War II time frame is consistent with the presence of shoppers in military uniforms peering into the display window, which contained a toy tank. During the flagpole scene, an accurate-period 48-star U.S. Flag is displayed.
1939-40 is slightly later than author Jean Shepherd's own childhood (he was 19 years old in 1940) but earlier than that of director Bob Clark (who was born in 1939).
The Red Ryder BB gun was available during this period and for many years afterward, but never in the exact configuration mentioned in the film.[19]
It is most likely, however, that the writers and producers intended, as director Bob Clark states in the movie's commentary, that the film is set "amorphously later Thirties, early Forties." Despite the many props and other references to this era, however, one can find the occasional anachronism, such as Scut Farkus (and the Old Man in a fantasy sequence) wearing a coonskin cap, a piece of apparel more evocative of the 1950s. Also, the police car (which can be seen through the classroom window) that responds to the stuck tongue is a 1947 Chevrolet. Ralphie's parents at one point are talking in the living room while the Bing Crosby/Andrews Sisters version of "Jingle Bells" - recorded in 1942- is heard on the radio. Ralphie's father complains in the movie that "the Sox traded Bullfrog!" which is a reference to Chicago White Sox pitcher Bill Dietrich, who was in fact released from the Sox, not traded, in 1946.[20] Ralphie's new Radio Orphan Annie decoder pin is the 1940 model.[21] Finally, Ralphie's father wears a Royal Air Force issue flight cap in one scene, indicating that that Mr. Parker was probably a volunteer American pilot for the RAF, which would imply a post-war setting. Such fuzziness of dating may be seen as a way to generalize the nostalgia for Ralphie's childhood as applying to other time periods as well.
Following the tire change scene, you can see a "49" year tag on the license plate.

Which is what make Radio Days suich a good companion piece. Despite Radio Days having specifc radio events (War of the Worlds, first WWII reports, etc.) the fact that Seth Green doesn't change at all over the course of the film makes it more of a late thirties/early forties nostalgia walk than anything else.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
A.R. McVintage said:
The part that creeps my mother out is the bleeting of the animals as it burns. What gets me is how the people all stand around and sing, like the Whos at the end of the Grinch.

So true--I find the Whos pretty creepy too, come to think of it.

I love Radio Days (and Seth Green). Kenneth Mars cracks me up everytime as the Rabbi--"You will go out into the street with your collection boxes..."

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Here is what they say about dating Christmas Story

Based on certain key references to popular culture in the film, the story probably takes place in December 1939, the year the MGM film The Wizard of Oz came out. In December 1940, Ovaltine's sponsorship of the Little Orphan Annie radio broadcasts had been over for 11 months.[17][18] Additionally, the Old Man's negative reference to the Chicago Bears makes 1939 most likely, since on Dec. 8, 1940 the Bears had just beaten the Washington Redskins 73-0 for the NFL Championship and his Chicago "Chipmunks" comment would hardly make sense. The World War II time frame is consistent with the presence of shoppers in military uniforms peering into the display window, which contained a toy tank. During the flagpole scene, an accurate-period 48-star U.S. Flag is displayed.
1939-40 is slightly later than author Jean Shepherd's own childhood (he was 19 years old in 1940) but earlier than that of director Bob Clark (who was born in 1939).
The Red Ryder BB gun was available during this period and for many years afterward, but never in the exact configuration mentioned in the film.[19]
It is most likely, however, that the writers and producers intended, as director Bob Clark states in the movie's commentary, that the film is set "amorphously later Thirties, early Forties." Despite the many props and other references to this era, however, one can find the occasional anachronism, such as Scut Farkus (and the Old Man in a fantasy sequence) wearing a coonskin cap, a piece of apparel more evocative of the 1950s. Also, the police car (which can be seen through the classroom window) that responds to the stuck tongue is a 1947 Chevrolet. Ralphie's parents at one point are talking in the living room while the Bing Crosby/Andrews Sisters version of "Jingle Bells" - recorded in 1942- is heard on the radio. Ralphie's father complains in the movie that "the Sox traded Bullfrog!" which is a reference to Chicago White Sox pitcher Bill Dietrich, who was in fact released from the Sox, not traded, in 1946.[20] Ralphie's new Radio Orphan Annie decoder pin is the 1940 model.[21] Finally, Ralphie's father wears a Royal Air Force issue flight cap in one scene, indicating that that Mr. Parker was probably a volunteer American pilot for the RAF, which would imply a post-war setting. Such fuzziness of dating may be seen as a way to generalize the nostalgia for Ralphie's childhood as applying to other time periods as well.
Following the tire change scene, you can see a "49" year tag on the license plate.

lol That doesn't really clear it up, does it.

Antje

One Too Many
Zwartboek, or blackbook,

I loved the movie, its a real sad story, and so real you get the real idea how it must have been in ww2.
and of course I love carise's hairdo, so even for the old feel I loved this film

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I received some dvds for christmas so have been watching those as well as the Fred and Ginger treats on BBC4. I got Mildred Pierce on dvd as it's become one of my favourite films but I've only watched the documentary on Joan Crawford on the extras so far. I didn't realise that Joan wasn't a particularly nice person, quite cruel in fact - abusive to her children, extremely jealous and mean to her female co-stars, had countless affairs - but overall I found it rather interesting. She was a flapper girl in the 1920s who liked to party a lot who didn't really get credit for her acting for a while as she wasn't taken seriously. I also didn't realise how far she overlined her lips and eyebrows!

I also received Art School Confidential which I actually enjoyed. I am a massive fan of Daniel Clowes so am a bit biased but had heard bad reviews about this (I don't even think it had a UK cinema release). It obviously wasn't as genius as Ghost World but it still had that sarcastic tone with the funny cliches of the art world and students. I also watched The Red Shoes on tv the other night which was quite good with some lovely technicolour views of hair and clothing of the 1940s. Moira Shearer had the most gorgeous red hair.

pgoat

One Too Many
A.R. McVintage said:

I've read somewhere (DVD RE-release?) that no animals were actually harmed in the Wickerman, but I still can't watch the ending - I always have to shut it off.....or the sound at least.

btw, there are two very different versions of the film....the plot does not change substantially, but the longer version does include more gratuitous sex and fleshes out Edward Morrow's character a bit.

Just watched Fellini's Satyricon this am....what a hoot! I forgot how much fun that flick was. You can definitely see where Perry Farrell got all his album cover and Jane's stage set ideas from.....

Starius

Practically Family
Last night (or this morning?) I was up till 4AM watching the 1974 film The Beast Must Die with Peter Cushing.

Before that was the 1979 film Magic with Anthony Hopkins, Ann-Margret, and Burgess Meredith.

pgoat

One Too Many
Myra Breckinridge

Freaky Deaky. Mary Tyler Moore makes a reference to it in one of the first episodes of the MTM show (1970).

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
I did follow through on my last statement on this thread and watched THE GAY DIVORCEE, a very charming and stylish movie.

And on New Year's Eve, I'll continue my annual tradition (33 years strong and still running!) and watch DUCK SOUP.

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
I watched Virtue (1932) with Carole Lombard and Pat O'Brien last night. It was VERY racy; streetwalkers, murder, and the like. It was quite good, especially if you're into the pre-code naughtiness. And Carole was so, so pretty.

pgoat

One Too Many
jenny_dreadful said:
I watched Virtue (1932) with Carole Lombard and Pat O'Brien last night. It was VERY racy; streetwalkers, murder, and the like. It was quite good, especially if you're into the pre-code naughtiness. And Carole was so, so pretty.

I am. And she was a dish! I'll have to check that one out........

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flags of our Fathers- reinforced what I already know, that everyone back then was sick of war and faced the horriffic invasion of Japan which would have taken a great toll of casualties.:(

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
GeniusInTheLamp said:
I did follow through on my last statement on this thread and watched THE GAY DIVORCEE, a very charming and stylish movie.

And on New Year's Eve, I'll continue my annual tradition (33 years strong and still running!) and watch DUCK SOUP.

What a great way to meet the new year!

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
The last two I saw in the theater were No Country For Old Men and Charlie Wilson's War. The last two I watched, or re-watched, were two perfect for The Fedora Lounge - The Untouchables and LA Confidential. I just bought the DVD for each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe