Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

missmelly

One of the Regulars
National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets...:eusa_doh:
If you thought the first one was totally implausible, then the second movie should have you ripping out your hair. Yes, it's fun and you should take it for what it is; a fun adventure but there are a lot of scenes (most of them) where you just shake your head and wonder where they pulled that out of.:eusa_doh:

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
missmelly said:
National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets...:eusa_doh:
If you thought the first one was totally implausible, then the second movie should have you ripping out your hair. Yes, it's fun and you should take it for what it is; a fun adventure but there are a lot of scenes (most of them) where you just shake your head and wonder where they pulled that out of.:eusa_doh:
I am watching this just for Helen Mirren.

pgoat

One Too Many
Burn Witch Burn Burn Burn!!!

Feraud said:
The Hammer films are classics. I recently watched Hound of the Baskerville w/ Cushing and Lee. Great stuff!

My fave is "Horror Hotel". Scared the bejeezus outta me when I was 9......

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
The Hammer films are classics. I recently watched Hound of the Baskerville w/ Cushing and Lee. Great stuff!

Cushing was a great Holmes. Both Cushing and Lee are in that category of actors that make me perk up if I see their names in the cast of a film.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I originally would have guessed the same period, but absolutely no mention of the war left me to believe otherwise.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
1939 or 1940

Jerekson said:
I originally would have guessed the same period, but absolutely no mention of the war left me to believe otherwise.

Why would they mention the war before Pearl Harbour and before it really entered the American consciousness? This is a family whose pater's greatest moment is winning a leg lamp and whose energy is spent wrestling a furnace. Probably not a guy who reads Ken or is overly concerned with another European war.

Jerekson

One Too Many
jake_fink said:
Why would they mention the war before Pearl Harbour and before it really entered the American consciousness? This is a family whose pater's greatest moment is winning a leg lamp and whose energy is spent wrestling a furnace. Probably not a guy who reads Ken or is overly concerned with another European war.

True, you do have a valid arguement.

I'm still not entirely sure, though. The film has always eluded me to a specific time because there is no solid evidence of any particular importance. The orpan Annie etc. could have been modified to fit the story during another time.

It's not really of importance in the long run. Hollywood is Hollywood. At least we know it is after 1930 and before 1950. That's good enough, no? :p

pgoat

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
Cushing was a great Holmes. Both Cushing and Lee are in that category of actors that make me perk up if I see their names in the cast of a film.

+1, esp. Mr. Lee! Marvellous actor, brilliant man and from what I've gathered a very nice guy. I'm prolly not the only one who was miffed about Lee's part being whittled down in Lord of the Rings......even the 'extended' DVD version should have had more of him.......oh, well. For me his finest moments were in "The Wickerman" and "The Man with the Golden Gun", if only because it had him stepping outside the usual Hammer genre a bit.

A.R. McVintage

Jerekson said:

I'm still not entirely sure, though. The film has always eluded me to a specific time because there is no solid evidence of any particular importance. The orpan Annie etc. could have been modified to fit the story during another time.

It's not really of importance in the long run. Hollywood is Hollywood. At least we know it is after 1930 and before 1950. That's good enough, no? :p

The kids look like people coming off the Depression (i.e. in no way like the forebearers of the fluffy pinafore skirts and Tees and dungarees of fifties kids) and specific items in the movie date it (i.e. after 1940 Annie decoder rings were no longer metal-period) and you're still not sure?

Okay...lol

A.R. McVintage

pgoatFor me his finest moments were in [I said:
"The Wickerman[/I]" and "The Man with the Golden Gun", if only because it had him stepping outside the usual Hammer genre a bit.

"That is good, for believing what you do, we confer upon you a rare gift, these days-a martyr's death."

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Part of White Cliffs of Dover (had to turn it off to sleep)

Among the other lasts are
Night of the Living Dead
Sweeney Todd
The Best Years of Our Lives

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Jerekson said:

More sober now. There were all the Wizard of Oz characters in the department store... so probably 1939, less likely to be 1940.

As you said, though. it's Hollywood, so it is set sometime in the past, specific only in as much as references, props and costumes can make it so.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
A.R. McVintage said:
"That is good, for believing what you do, we confer upon you a rare gift, these days-a martyr's death."

Oh, god, just reading that gives me the creeps!

The first time I saw that movie was on tv pre-VCR so it was like 2am. I was doing my homework and kind of half paying attention to it at first before getting completely sucked in. That ending still scares the beejezus out of me.

Wasn't Lee in the RAF? Intelligence or some such? I'm too lazy to wander over to Wikipedia...:rolleyes:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I watched the Japanese movie Linda, Linda, Linda last night--I caught it during a 2 day run at an art house in Boston last year and I loved it. Amazon encapsulates the plot better than I could:

"Only three days before their high school festival, guitarist Kei (Yu Kashii), drummer Kyoto (Aki Maeda of Battle Royale), and bassist Nozumi (Shiori Sekine) must recruit a new lead vocalist for their band. They choose an unlikely Korean exchange student Son (Doona Bae of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance), even though her comprehension of Japanese is a bit rough. It's a race against time as the group struggles to learn three tunes for the festival's rock concert --"

It's a quirky, slow, little slice of life film. My favorite line is: "I have loved you since first I saw you by the incinerator..."

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Its wikipedia...but hey..

Here is what they say about dating Christmas Story

Based on certain key references to popular culture in the film, the story probably takes place in December 1939, the year the MGM film The Wizard of Oz came out. In December 1940, Ovaltine's sponsorship of the Little Orphan Annie radio broadcasts had been over for 11 months.[17][18] Additionally, the Old Man's negative reference to the Chicago Bears makes 1939 most likely, since on Dec. 8, 1940 the Bears had just beaten the Washington Redskins 73-0 for the NFL Championship and his Chicago "Chipmunks" comment would hardly make sense. The World War II time frame is consistent with the presence of shoppers in military uniforms peering into the display window, which contained a toy tank. During the flagpole scene, an accurate-period 48-star U.S. Flag is displayed.
1939-40 is slightly later than author Jean Shepherd's own childhood (he was 19 years old in 1940) but earlier than that of director Bob Clark (who was born in 1939).
The Red Ryder BB gun was available during this period and for many years afterward, but never in the exact configuration mentioned in the film.[19]
It is most likely, however, that the writers and producers intended, as director Bob Clark states in the movie's commentary, that the film is set "amorphously later Thirties, early Forties." Despite the many props and other references to this era, however, one can find the occasional anachronism, such as Scut Farkus (and the Old Man in a fantasy sequence) wearing a coonskin cap, a piece of apparel more evocative of the 1950s. Also, the police car (which can be seen through the classroom window) that responds to the stuck tongue is a 1947 Chevrolet. Ralphie's parents at one point are talking in the living room while the Bing Crosby/Andrews Sisters version of "Jingle Bells" - recorded in 1942- is heard on the radio. Ralphie's father complains in the movie that "the Sox traded Bullfrog!" which is a reference to Chicago White Sox pitcher Bill Dietrich, who was in fact released from the Sox, not traded, in 1946.[20] Ralphie's new Radio Orphan Annie decoder pin is the 1940 model.[21] Finally, Ralphie's father wears a Royal Air Force issue flight cap in one scene, indicating that that Mr. Parker was probably a volunteer American pilot for the RAF, which would imply a post-war setting. Such fuzziness of dating may be seen as a way to generalize the nostalgia for Ralphie's childhood as applying to other time periods as well.
Following the tire change scene, you can see a "49" year tag on the license plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe