Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I just finished watching the British film 'Photographing Faeries' (1997). Set in Edwardian England it's about a London photographer who travels to a small country village where he's been told faeries exist. The film's plot is much deeper than this, though. I highly recommend it as it is a hidden gem. You'll like the clothing, too.:)

pgoat

One Too Many
"Time Starts Now........"

I'll have to see Klute now....I love those gritty old NYC flicks.....

let's see , it will soon be 2008, but it's 1968 around here; just watched Bullitt, The Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus (a timely Xmas gift) and the Producers.

I have a love/hate thing for Bullitt. McQueen, Bisset and SF all look lovely (the cars look pretty cool too!) and it's neat to see early roles for Robert Duvall and Georg Stanford Brown. But the plot is so thin.....Kinda like the Big Sleep; you just forget trying to make sense and go along for a very stylin' ride!

I also enjoyed Monty Wooley ('the Beard') in The Man Who Came to Dinner - gr8 xmas flick and plenty of swell hats - and robes, if that is your thing! Bette Davis is marvelous.

Hondo

One Too Many
A Prairie Home Companion

I saw "A Prairie Home Companion: after waiting so long, What do you expect from Robert Altman? It’s a nice little film (even with Lindsay Lohan, haven't we heard enough) I enjoyed this film, many great actors (I don’t mean Lohan, any one else could have had her role) it just left me feeling something was missing. Not especially thrilled with the “angel” part, but it was over all “Okay” by me, but thats Altman for you, it almost reminded me of Nashville.
Altman will be greatly missed :(

pgoat

One Too Many
re: Madigan and Prarie Home Companion

Thanks Feraud, I will! I love Richard Widmark - he's still alive and kicking, God bless him! Don Seigel also did Coogan's Bluff around the same time.

Hondo, we saw Prarie Home Companion in upstate NY last year. I agree with your impressions. It had its moments. I definitely prefer listening on the radio, tho....

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Enough of The Good Shepherd (2006) to know I hated it. It's so stylized and mannered, with all those fashionable heavy silences, that it makes my neck stiff. Also, Matt Damon changes into his '50s specs the minute WW2 ends, and De Niro is then seen wearing them, too, as if to symbolize the birth of the Cold War mind.

Then The Queen (2006 again), because I just cannot turn away from Helen Mirren. It's very well done over all, tho, except the guy they got to play Prince Charles looks like they just grabbed a passing stranger off the street.

I wonder if any actress, British or otherwise, has ever had the chance to play both Elizabeths.

pgoat

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Matt Damon changes into his '50s specs the minute WW2 ends, and De Niro is then seen wearing them, too, as if to symbolize the birth of the Cold War mind.

haven't seen this one but this is akin to what I alluded to when cursing overuse of 'mood' music in films. Both vehicles are insulting to the viewer's intelligence. The music thing also stifles the film (why not let people interpret mood as they wish?).

I must see the Queen; have heard all good things about it.

Feraud

Bartender
Fletch said:
Enough of The Good Shepherd (2006) to know I hated it.
I did not like this film either.
Damon certainly did not play his character as a "mover and shaker" of things in the organization. He looked to be sleepwalking through the entire film. [huh]

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Enough of The Good Shepherd (2006) to know I hated it. It's so stylized and mannered, with all those fashionable heavy silences, that it makes my neck stiff. Also, Matt Damon changes into his '50s specs the minute WW2 ends, and De Niro is then seen wearing them, too, as if to symbolize the birth of the Cold War mind.

Then The Queen (2006 again), because I just cannot turn away from Helen Mirren. It's very well done over all, tho, except the guy they got to play Prince Charles looks like they just grabbed a passing stranger off the street.

I wonder if any actress, British or otherwise, has ever had the chance to play both Elizabeths.

Besides Helen Mirren?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I saw Spiderman 2. I don't like most comic book movies, though I get around to seeing a lot of them somehow. This was a pretty good one. Better than those heinous Batman movies that won't ever stop.

I also saw Shrek the Third and part of the 40 Year Old Virgin.

Awful.

I think this Jude Apatow guy has real problems with women. He's a nasty misogynist making nasty juvenile movies that frustrate me because everyone around me is laughing AND I DON'T KNOW WHY. Ha ha, drunk lady drives crazy, man scared, so fresh, so new, so wow, ha ha. I hope his star fades and he goes away like the mere flavour of the moment he is.

I can't wait for the holidays to finally end and to get my house back and to get back to watching the movies I want to watch.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
I just finished watching the British film 'Photographing Faeries' (1997). Set in Edwardian England it's about a London photographer who travels to a small country village where he's been told faeries exist. The film's plot is much deeper than this, though. I highly recommend it as it is a hidden gem. You'll like the clothing, too.:)

FYI, there is another film about the Cottingley fairies, made a year or two earlier, called Fairy Tale: A True Story. It presents a somewhat different take on the situation, and I think it's the better of the two films, a real charmer. Of particular interest are outstanding cameos by Peter O'Toole as Arthur Conan Doyle and Harvey Keitel as Harry Houdini, representing the two schools of thought on spiritual matters at that time.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
The Fabulous Baker Boys...

A pretty sublime movie. Too bad it's been so many years since I first saw it. Reminds me why I love Michelle Pfeiffer! And the Bridges boys as the Baker boys... two of their best performances. Rent this film!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:

I watched that again last night. Prince Philip was a real jerk. He was always getting upset that the tea was getting cold.:rage: Even the Queen Mother was a real snot.shakeshead

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
Got a copy of Hammer Films Horror of Dracula last night at Borders and watched it right away. First viewing since I was a teen. :)
The Hammer films are classics. I recently watched Hound of the Baskerville w/ Cushing and Lee. Great stuff!

Hondo

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Got a copy of Hammer Films Horror of Dracula last night at Borders and watched it right away. First viewing since I was a teen. :)

Hammer Films is a MUST for any horror film buffs, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, "American International Pictures" put out a bunch of good horror films,
Throw in my favorite, Vincent Price, they don't make actors like him or others like Lee and Cushing. Oh the horror of it all :eek: lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_International_Pictures

http://www.hammerfilms.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe