Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Don Ramon

New in Town
If you are interested in some excellent "pre-code" films see Waterloo Bridge (1931) with Mae Clark, Red-Headed Woman (1932) with Jean Harlow, Blue Angel (1930) with Marlene Dietrich, and, of course, Baby Face (1933) with Barbara Stanwyck taking care of business long before Double Indemnity... All excellent pre-code classics.

Feraud

Bartender
Saw Sweeny Todd in the theater and Balls of Fury on dvd. The old movie appetite is going hungry.. :rolleyes:

I have A Tale of Two Cities with R. Coleman from Netflix to watch and bought a copy of Tomorrow w/Duvall waiting to be viewed.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
An unexpected treat I caught early this morning was Kubrick's debut film Killer's Kiss (1955). There were scenes I swear Scorsese must have stolen when he made Raging Bull.

Feraud

Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
An unexpected treat I caught early this morning was Kubrick's debut film Killer's Kiss (1955). There were scenes I swear Scorsese must have stolen when he made Raging Bull.
Not a bad film at all. I like the location shots and would add to your comments how this film also influenced Scorsese's Taxi Driver.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
jenny_dreadful said:
I never bothered to see it, because I liked the book a great deal, and didn't want to ruin it by seeing the movie!

I haven't read the book, but someone else did & he talked about it a lot, so when I noticed the movie on the pay-per-view, I took a chance.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I just watched the two-disc "Collector's edition" of the Battle of Britain on DVD. A great movie with an all-star cast: Sir Laurence Olivier, Christopher Plummer, Sir Ralph Richardson, Robert Shaw, Kurt Jurgens, Ian McShane, Michael Caine, Susannah York, Kenneth More, Trevor Howard, Harry Andrews, Nigel Patrick, Michael Redgrave and more...
One thing I'm happy about with the collector's edition is that they (MGM and Sony) went back and corrected the mistakes they made when they first issued the movie on DVD. The first DVD issue had Sir William Walton's (alternate) soundtrack inserted in many of the scenes, with no credit being given to Ron Goodwin, who composed most of the soundtrack used in the film originally (and thankfully again in the collector's edition). The closing credits were restored to show Churchill's famous "The Few" (Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few) quote, as opposed to the quote they used (This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning) in the first DVD issue. That was what Churchill said after the Battle of El Alamein. Why they ever used that, I'll never know.
Needless to say, with this DVD reissue, I'm finally happy with the end product.

zaika

One Too Many
White Zombie and The Killer Shrews.
I bought a "Monster Movie" collection of thirteen movies on 3 DVD's for eight bucks. They're mostly 30's 50's and 60's flicks.
I liked White Zombie a lot (Bela Lugosi...can't go wrong), but I was recuperating from surgery so I was fighting to stay awake! lol
The Killer Shrews wasn't so good...but I like bad movies, so I still liked it. :)
Eleven more to go!

pgoat

One Too Many
Superfly. Seen it many times. Never noticed the details on Ron O'Neal's hats before - a little pimpy of course, but actually much less over the top than I remember. I'd actually wear them! (Not the polyester bell flares and two-tone platforms, tho)

We just watched Shaft the other day. Two very different films that often get lumped together. Both decent and very stylin'! Curtis Mayfield's soundtrack gets the nod from me over Isaac Hayes, good as Shaft's score was.

Edward

Bartender
Kill Bill Volume II. Very interesting mix of cinematic styles in it, IMO, and some great characters and dialogue. Unless something intersting turns up on television over the next few nights, the next will probably be the From Dusk Til Dawn trilogy. I loved the first one, and kept meaning to pick it up on DVD. Just before Christmas I chanced across it in an HMV sale, dirt cheap for the box set. I've never seen the other two, not hard great reviews but given how little it ost me, I figured I can't really lose. :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome back, Edward.
The new Ethel Merman biography came into the library so I had to borrow There's No Business Like Show Business. It was all right, but Marilyn Monroe clomped around during the dance numbers whenever she had steps; they should have realized she's much better when dancing in one place, even on the settee. Who knew? I liked the gowns.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Larceny, Inc. (1942)

Just wrapped up this crackling little crime comedy adapted from a play by S.J. Perelman. No it's not peppered with 35c words like "bruited" and "yclept", just a snappy and ever-so-slightly absurd yarn of 3 crooks who buy out a luggage shop and go into "business" as a front for tunneling into the vault of the bank next door. Trouble is, it's Christmastime, and everybody wants to buy luggage. Edward G. Robinson is at his fast-talking best, with big Broderick Crawford and little Eddie Brophy as his plug-uglies, Anthony Quinn as a hood who gets wise to the plan, Jane Wyman as love interest and Jackie Gleason as a lunch counter man. A fun pic that ought to be better known.

Chas

One Too Many
I just saw the original (1925) version of "Phantom Of The Opera" which confirms my nomination for Lon Chaney as the greatest male actor of all time.

I also know what I am going to be "going as" next Halloween.
phantomo218.jpg

I am now in the process of tracking down my own copy of the DVD.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Perfume...

I have to say I couldn't agree more.... With all the above comments!!!

Now that might sound like a cop-out. But after watching...

1.) Never read the book, yet heard it was much better!!

2.) Loved the cimematography, sets and costuming!

3.) Wanted to ring the little weasles neck!! (I am after all a cop!)

4.) Was kind of drawn to the chase aspect. Such as the politics and efforts which were made to catch him!!!

5.) Felt cheated by the ending..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe