Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Charlie, Mr. Blue-eyes with the matching hat! Anyway, the word I am familiar with is the Hindi word "mahout," for "elephant driver."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what keeps coming up on Google searches, Greg. But "mahout" was the name on the mfr. ticket attached to the felt, according to Art F. So, maybe it's an old term for something we have yet to uncover?

Thanks for the nice comment. Glad I matched the hat to something today. Certainly wasn't my shirt!

Resistol conversion.

6343a5f2cebdfd0f495c4e1c92b1eaa0.jpg

Last edited:

GregNYC

One Too Many
Harv, those colors look really good together! One of my favorite combos of yours!

Greg, you have that mid-century Fedora noir look really dialed in. It really looks super. So I'm really looking forward to the Bogart that Mike is doing for me. He did that great one for you, and seems to know exactly what I have in mind! Bravo to you, sir!

Last edited:
S4C, that is a nice look! Bet you were the best dressed today. I'll take a bow tie over a long tie any day.

Greg, looks like the cold won't get to you today!

Sam, I really like that Wegener. What vintage is that one?

Charlie, I like the mahoot better each time I see it. Brim width?

Greg, the Advintage is beautiful. Great color, and nice CS style!

Last edited:
Thank you! As a pre-WWII clear beaver, it is quite a rare example. The crown, if I remember correctly, is 6". It takes a tall crown and a supple clay-like felt to be able to do justice to a telescoped diamond crease.

You might enjoy the dedicated thread to this hat, with links to an equally impressive find by Lounge member Feltfan from a few years earlier.

metropd

One Too Many
It's a light weight felt, with a vintage feel, that enables a sharp crease. I posted a number of photographs of this hat in the VS thread around December last year (the hat was a Christmas present).

Out of interest where did you get your hat? I love the vintage lines but am not familiar with that manufacturer.

Best wishes

Greg

Engel & Co. Hatters is a hat company I recently created. I do take it as a great compliment that you assumed it was a historic brand.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
S4C, that is a nice look! Bet you were the best dressed today. I'll take a bow tie over a long tie any day.

Well, my manager's boss made me wear the bowler when they took a group shot. Something about "setting the new standard..." Most wore the look for comic effect since we're a pretty casual office. I actually enjoy dressing for work. It gives me a sense of purpose.

View attachment 20471

Edit: Masked faces in the pic since I don't want co-workers yelling at me for sharing their pics publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe