Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been dove hunting since Thursday...

The Akubra Squatter did well in the heat of Southern Georgia, wish the birds flew as well as the hat worked out! This is just after daybreak with a morning mist still hugging the fields...
dovehunt.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
billysmom said:
Gosh I love those Whippets!

Sue

I'm with you Sue. I gotta get me one of those Stetson Whippets!

Akubra had the license to make Stetsons for this part of the world for decades right up into the 90's. Interestingly, Akubra still makes some of the Stetson designs with the same names, though now under the Akubra brand. Unfortunately, while Akubra kept the Whippet, they redesigned it as a stingy brim and lost the character and beauty of the original.

So, like I said, I gotta get me a Stetson Whippet!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
The Akubra Squatter did well in the heat of Southern Georgia, wish the birds flew as well as the hat worked out! This is just after daybreak with a morning mist still hugging the fields...
dovehunt.jpg
Dove hunting: an outstanding venue for that Squatter, gtdean!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
dovehunt.jpg

Great shot, Tom! (pun intended...:D)

Fantastic look. :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
"Adventure" is right. I didn't know you were traveling there. Thanks for the pix!!

Thanks, Gene. I'm glad folks enjoyed the pix. Incredibly, those pix were taken with my iPhone! That darn thing never ceases to amaze me! ;)

Cheers,
JtL

RBH

Bartender
Thanks everyone.

Looking sharp Bob!
I did the same with my mid brown, I then took the spray bottle and spritzed
the whole hat.
It now has a olive tint to it.

looking good in that Akubra Tom.
I would have thought you would have worn a thin one. :D

RBH said:
looking good in that Akubra Tom.
I would have thought you would have worn a thin one. :D
This one is "featherweight" & has no liner, so I figured it was engineered for warmer weather use & haven't brought myself to take the ribbon out of any of my thin ribbon lids with a suitable color for hunting... [huh]

Spats McGee

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic:

I always enjoy the morning dove hunts. Obviously, I'd prefer to have birds in the air, but if I don't get those, it's not a bad way to enjoy a cup of coffee.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
233208-1.jpg

Moi. In very casual wear and a yachting cap. Probably looking silly, but that's part of the fun. This cap is good for keeping the sun off your skull and out of your eyes. It's also very easy to store - roll it up and stick it in a pocket.
Neat thing about it is how modular the cap can be. Pull the top forward and it looks very similar to a driving cap, pull it to the side and it looks like a beret. The crown can go higher, but I tend to keep it low. Otherwise it looks wrong... I think my ears stick out a bit too far, and the tall crown exemplifies that.
Porkpie and nice shades should be coming in this week, so the next entry ought to look dressier.

warbird

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
dovehunt.jpg

Just returned from a trip to the far north with my camo on and Akubra Fed. on my head. I believe I have around 4 million miles on the Akubra from deserts to monsoons, to arctic blasts. It is finally starting to show some wear and a bit of sweat stain on the ribbon. Just adds character. The arctic circle the beginning of Sept is sometimes warm, say 70 and sometimes pretty chilly (below 30) and always windy. I experienced both while there.

Usually I am in south Texas, looking for dove myself this time of year, but the trip north and trips next month to Michigan and South Dakota for birds leave me no time to make it down there this year. Me and the Akubra are already prepared to head out again though for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe