Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Colder than the proverbial titches wit in a brass bra here today. A little under 10" inches snow, single digit temps, negative wind chills and negative DOUBLE digit wind chills tonight. So, out comes the furry hat again. I'm starting to really love this thing very soft and very warm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Charlie - a pair of real beauties.

Miami & hatguy1 - very weather appropriate!

No snow here, just gales and yet more rain. A bowler (late 60's/early 70's Failsworth) is about the only hat that will cope with 30mph winds and stronger gusts...

Banky

One of the Regulars
Another hat I pulled from the Store's "Need's work" pile. This is a Stetson Continental. Was terribly dirty and crushed. Salvaged the original liner, replaced the sweat and made it look decent again. I left some of the character such as the brim swooping and not really having much of a flange and the front pinch is a bit crooked. I go in for a kinda "country lived in look" and this hat as is fits the bill.

Banky

One of the Regulars
haha, Thank you. It's likely the sweater that pulls that look together. In the cooler months I wear it nearly all day everyday. It's almost as defining to me as the hats are.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Today i'm wearing my Cavanagh 40 Wide brim....which is now my Cavanagh 40 Cowboy hat.

I bought this hat because the seller said it was a size 7......well it is.....but it was once a size 7 1/4 LO. Some hatter at one time downsized the crown size....VERY poorly may I add. There are wrinkles at the brim break because he didn't shrink the body enough. He also cut the original sweatband down from 7 1/4 to a 7. The felt quality is exquisite, but this is going to be my Western "beater." At one time it had a 2 7/8 inch brim, but because the hatter pulled the crown down on a lower block, he added 1/8 of an inch to the brim and added stiffener. Its now a 3 inch brim. The felt is thin, but the brim is now stiff. Thankfully he left the crown alone. All in all, this hat was poorly re-done, but still has Cavanagh 40 felt with no moth bites or stains. I simply ironed the brim flat (then shaped it into a western style), took out the sweatband and put it back in (its actually straight now), shortened the ribbon strands, and reshaped the crown. Its very light and comfortable to wear, so it should get quite a bit of use.

It looked like this when I received it........

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Wow, I like it, a dressed up cowboy hat! Cool sweater too, looks warm.

Thanks, Perry!! I much prefer a western hat with a dress weight felt body verses a "western weight" body. Every old Stetson western I have owned has been much closer to a dress body than a western body. Modern day westerns are just so darn thick and loaded with shellac!
The sweater is very warm, its one of my go-to shawl collar winter sweaters.

g.durand

One Too Many
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

How do you like your Vita-Felt, G.D? I developed more respect for this mark as I sampled more hats. They differ in felt finish and weight but retain many of the qualities I admire in pre-war Stetsons. Always enjoy seeing them worn and photographed.

The best answer I can come up with is I want to wear it every day but have to remind myself to keep other hats in the daily rotation so I don't wear it out. It's the only Vita Felt I have so I can't compare it to others, nor can I compare it to pre-war Stetsons since I haven't come across one yet. But the felt has a weight, hand, and pliability like no other. I would call it sumptuous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82