Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
David: I enjoy the photos of your nocturnal ramblings in Philly, and that Zephyr Weight is tops!

Alan: Nice to see those museum specimens out for some fresh air.

Mike: Great to see you posting again. Beautiful Whippet bookends for the weekend!

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My sister just sent the photos she took from Saturday so I'm posting up a couple as her camera and photography skills are better than mine.
Akubra Campdraft
IMG_9742.JPG

IMG_9775.JPG

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Rodkins, Perry; great start to the day, guys!

Che, you were born with outspoken style, man. Looks great both up and down to me!

Sam, I gotta say you've been sporting some serious lids lately, esp. those Carmacks and VS's, but these new photos make me really want to consider a campdraft.

Thanks gtdean-- that bluegrass isn't helping me!

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Bowlerman,
The silverbelly Campdraft is a very versatile hat. It'll work with just about anything. That said, if I had your head size I wouldn't buy any new hats and would stick to purely vintage hats due to pricing you smaller headed beings can get.

Sam

Hey Bowlerman,
The silverbelly Campdraft is a very versatile hat. It'll work with just about anything. That said, if I had your head size I wouldn't buy any new hats and would stick to purely vintage hats due to pricing you smaller headed beings can get.

Sam

Casechopper has a good point, I have so many tan/silverbelly ORs, a silverbelly CD just doesn't make sense. I will say that finding a nice green in a vintage hat is extremely rare, even with a smaller size. For that reason, you may want to consider the bluegrass CD.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
love the felt whippet! how do you like the straw whippet? I'm looking for a new summer hat.
Thanks. I actually really like the straw whippet. Mostly because for whatever reason this one fits me like a glove and is a very durable hat. It's not actually straw - it's a very stiff hat.

Thanks you for the notes. Mike, my ribbon bow is much like your VS... in fact I thought of Art as I photographed these ribbons. They might be nice inspiration for a creative custom hatter today.

...how old do you think that derby is? looks great!

Rob, the two hats with rounded dome crowns are soft felts. The crown on the one I am wearing is 5 1/2" the other with Montana crease is 6". If the seller's information is correct, these hats were offered for sale in the first decade of the 20th C.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
casehopper: Heartwarming photos. Brings back fond memories for me. Those are precious times, enjoy each moment!

Perry: Very nice! I believe the cooler weather is here to stay this week.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
dean, a classic, wonderful Hat!

Che, an other Killer Hat, you want to make me jealous my friend!

David, he is fantastic! Looks very good on you!

Alan, wow, exellent. Both Hats are very cool!

Mike, three Hats, a stunning Whippet, an lovely VS and a great Stetson Straw! Thumbs up.

Sam, very nice photos with your Family!

Perry, great Stetson, your hats are wonderful, shaped!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
A compendium of photos and musings from this past weekend:

Got up before dawn on a cool Saturday morning to drive over to Macalester College in St. Paul for Ryan's PSAT/NMSQT practice test. 1940s Stetson Three Way, Vita-Felt Process.

While Ryan toiled away at this four hour test, Lydia and I drove up and down Summit Avenue , browsing estate sales which usually start at 9AM.

An absolutely glorious morning despite striking out on hats at the estate sales. Lydia and I decided to visit a few of our favorite antiques shops.

The brilliant September sunshine began to slowly warm up the temperatures by late morning.

After fetching Ryan shortly following the noon hour, with the Sun becoming ever more intense and temperatures now into the 70s(and eventually ascending to the 80s), I switched to straw for the remainder of the day. At the Blue Door Pub in St. Paul for their delicious "Juicy Blucy". OPTIMO Montecristi.

It is always a little dangerous to step into our friend Jim's antiques store in St. Paul, for we never seem to leave empty handed. He has a particularly great eye for fine art, and an amazing knack for buying directly from the families and estates of some of St. Paul's past luminaries. Our find(s) of the weekend included this great old ca.1910-1920s hand-carved chair; an amazing collection of 400+ 18th and 19th century French and German furniture/architectural hand-colored prints; and original architectural drawings rendered for the University Of Minnesota, all from the family of noted St. Paul woodcarver and cabinetmaker, Wm. Yungbauer.

Wm Yungbauer was a brilliant Viennese-trained woodcarver, brought to Minnesota in the late 19th century by railroad tycoon James J. Hill to supervise the interior carving of his Gilded Age mansion. This chair needs some TLC, but it was the only carved work of Wm. Yungbauer still retained by the family after a century. Could it have been a favorite chair of his?

Admiring the flowers at Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis Sunday morning. Barbisio "Lugano".

Perfect weather to have a seafood brunch on the patio of Sea Salt Eatery, located in the park just a few steps from Minnehaha Falls.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

The unusually dry late Summer in Minnesota resulted in Minnehaha Falls being reduced to the Minnehaha Trickle. An idyllic spot nonetheless.

Summer's last flowers and the first colors of Autumn, at the Minneapolis Institute Of Arts in the early afternoon. OPTIMO Montecristi. Likely the last occasion this season for my straws.

Spending some quality time with an "old" friend(four hours' worth). "Rembrandt In America" at the Minneapolis Institute Of Arts. Colossal facsimile of Rembrandt van Rijn, his "Self Portrait With Beret And Turned-Up Collar" of 1659, in my humble estimation one of the most extraordinary and compelling portraits ever painted.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thank You

Thanks very much as always for your very kind comments, fellas!

Tom: Very nice! This Nostalgia seems to be the best fitting lid you have sported to date, with proportions which better compliment your facial features, though if I may suggest, try to take photos of yourself without using the wide-angle setting on your camera. The wide-angle lens is creating some barrel distortion in your pictures. If you are at all able to adjust the focal length of your camera, use a longer focal length and take the exposure from a slightly greater distance.

Manfred: You are too kind, my friend!

Perry: Thanks for your confidence in me to suggest that great idea, though I would not presume to have the talent to do such a show justice! Glad you enjoyed the pics.

Alan: I like to think of this Barbisio as your godchild! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe