Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks Alan, this Stratoliner still needs a bit more cleaning, but it is coming into it for sure.

That CB Open Road you have today is a fantastic hat.

Eric, I'm generally not a homberg guy, but that one of yours is a special hat. That's the one that is very similar to the hat Delectan's has if I remember correctly.

That is one very nice Squatter!
+1 on all of the above, Alan that CB OR is THE Open Road I think.

David, would you mind sharing the cleaning method you've been/will be using on the Stratoliner? I have one with what I think are similar type stains, and would like to give it a go prior to giving up and sending it off for dismantling/reconstruction. You beat me by $1 on that one BTW, obviously I wasn't hot after it (would have been had I been confident it would clean up nicely- must've spent over an hour in total blowing up the auction pics early on, checking the color and the staining). Strongly considered pulling the trigger on the second BIN, and now seeing your tale of an offer, I see where they got the second number (obviously regretting not having accepted your offer, probably were certain you'd jump on it at the reduced BIN).

T Rick

Practically Family
For me today, off for a bite to eat earlier, it was the Champ Featherweight. It fought the Northern South Florida heat quite well (94 degrees plus humid) I was mostly from air conditioned to air conditioned atmosphere though.
standard.jpg

Love the Cracker Barrel, first one I don't recall seeing a brass coat/hat rack in though.

ETA: After lunch, I headed to the mall, Sunglass Hut. Wanted to get those Wayfarers adjusted again, seems they keep getting twisted at the bridge, resulting in riding low on the right as you see here. Mission accomplished! This time, I did the adjustment myself after heating in their machine. Hope it holds, if not, it's back to Ray Ban for warranty service!

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Some fantastic hats today all around gentlemen. Alan, that OR is amazing, Short Balding Guy, I am not a Homburg man myself, but the felt and ribbon combo in that one is enough to make jealous!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
+1 on all of the above, Alan that CB OR is THE Open Road I think.

David, would you mind sharing the cleaning method you've been/will be using on the Stratoliner? I have one with what I think are similar type stains, and would like to give it a go prior to giving up and sending it off for dismantling/reconstruction. You beat me by $1 on that one BTW, obviously I wasn't hot after it (would have been had I been confident it would clean up nicely- must've spent over an hour in total blowing up the auction pics early on, checking the color and the staining). Strongly considered pulling the trigger on the second BIN, and now seeing your tale of an offer, I see where they got the second number (obviously regretting not having accepted your offer, probably were certain you'd jump on it at the reduced BIN).

Yes, that was a rather odd auction. She actually reduced the price a couple of times to $225 (I think) then kept putting it back to $299. I did rather like the hat though so I was happy when she turned it into a regular auction. You wouldn't have had to bid much more to beat me, another $5 would have done it I think.

For cleaning, so far I just used steam and brushing and the felt is cleaning up OK. The worst of the staining was on the underside of the brim and I've been able to get it to fade out a lot - someone not knowing it's there probably wouldn't notice now.

I've not done anything with these stains on the liner yet - that's phase 2!

This is my first Stratoliner and I'm enjoying it. I've bought a Stratoliner box and on the prowl for a pin now :D

T Rick

Practically Family
DJH said:
You wouldn't have had to bid much more to beat me, another $5 would have done it I think.
I very nearly did bid higher (note my bid was $67.89, I might have as easily bid $78.90 or $76.54, this is typical of my style). But there was another I also placed a token bid on for that same hour, and the two probably diluted my bidding enthusiasm.

As it turns out, glad I didn't bid higher, as I already have a similar one in gray (though badly needing cleaning), and I am happy you got this one.

WRT the pin, there are now several of us in the hunt for those, no worries, they do pop up. And for far less than recent sales here indicate. But don't discount the reproductions sold by Fred H. here on the Lounge. He sells both a DC-3 reproduction, and a Boeing 307 Stratoliner (the pin that should have come on these hats), both in Sterling Silver, and both quite nice. My brown Strat sports the B 307, as he was out of the DC3 pin when I ordered. The gray one when cleaned and ribboned will wear a DC3, be it vintage or repro (may also get the DC 3 for the brown Strat, and put the 307 on the Stetson Stratoliner I intend to buy new in a month or two). Vintage or repro, the pin is a perfect accent for a hat named for an icon of aviation.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Al, DJH, Jlee, Hato; Thanks for the cheers for the Homburg. Don't knock it till you try it rings true for me. I could have never imagined that I would enjoy wearing a Navy/Burgandy homburg - how wrong I was. This hat gets more notice and positive comments than any single hat I have worn. Of course, it might be that it really stands out.:p I like wearing the homburg and the quality of the hat is top notch. I watch the postings on the forum and the "experts" show hats that even higher quality. That is a quality that I have yet to experience. I can not wait.

Cav-M.jpg

Thanks for the comments folks. BTW, I tip my hat to Al for the push of the fence to look for such a hat.

More open to new hat experiences, Eric -

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Chillin at our Inn in Maine after shooting a great wedding at the beach today. Flat cap made by Bob at Black Sheep Hatworks.

smugshot8387223-L.jpg

I went out to a rural library today to do some public astronomy. I wore a Borsalino Alessandria.

092411.jpg

The big scope is Andy's. I brought a little one. As you can see, Borsalinos are chick magnets. This little one had to be physically restrained by her mom.

092411_2.jpg

The girl scouts were treated to a really nice family of sunspots. When I got home, I took some pictures and found a new addition had just rotated into view.

ar1302.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82