Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Yes the Royal Canadian Mounted Police still wear them with the red serge dress uniform. I got this one to go with my Scout uniform years ago.

Here is another different style I am wearing today

Johnny

That's a great one too-- is it telescoped or flat on top?
Since you're an Alberta dweller, is it true that the white hat is "sacred" in Calgary? Been up to Banff and surrounding region a few times, but not since my honeymoon 5 years ago.

Does anyone here find that the crease affects the fit/comfort of a hat?

warbird

One Too Many
Taken a couple of weeks ago before heading out to the gun range to meet up with fellas who wanted to try and out shoot me. Sure enough one of them was quite a bit faster than me. I'm not that fast a shot. However he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Actually we all had a great time. I do have some six guns, but it is fun to go to cowboy town with the semi-autos as well.

I almost never wear this particular coat. It was custom made for me probably 25 years ago by a gentleman who custom made outfits for the country music stars. I think I am just going to sell the coat as my wife has never liked it. I think I liked the style because, ironically, I saw a picture of Jimi Hendrix wearing one. I used to wear it with a wide brimmed black Akubra, Crocodile Dundee hat, my first Akubra. I had taken the croc teeth off of it. I can't recall now for the life of me what happened to that hat. I am wondering if it is packed somewhere at my dad's house. Stevie Ray Vaughan came to Nashville and I met him because a mutual friend photographer. He tried to talk me out of that jacket. I liked SRV a lot, but he couldn't have my jacket. The dang thing probably weighs a good 6 lbs.

IMG_0768.jpg

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Th
Does anyone here find that the crease affects the fit/comfort of a hat?

It sure does. Especially since most of my creases tend to be accidentally off-center. :D

Warbird, I think you might be King of the Wide Brims on TFL. Keep wearing wide brim hats and I'm sure you'll get a reputation, like RLK for his hat horde or JtL for his teardrop crease. :eusa_clap

Last edited:

Neophyte

Alright, the final form of the hat, in a Montana mule-kick/Gus/Tom Horn/Klendathu Kicker crease. The greatest thing to come out of this experimentation is that I now know EXACTLY what my custom will be.

untitled-1.jpg

johnnycanuck

Bowlerman. It’s a telescoped crown Akubra Croc. With actual Crocodile band with Crocodile teeth. Very Crocodile Dundee. Just had to have it but don’t wear it much.

As for the White hat I don’t know about being “sacred” but it is the claim to fame. Smithbilt in Ccalgary was the fist hat company that made a true white hat. Before then they were off white or light beige. Check out there web page, I think they mention it in there.

http://smithbilthats.com/

Johnny

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Alright, the final form of the hat, in a Montana mule-kick/Gus/Tom Horn/Klendathu Kicker crease. The greatest thing to come out of this experimentation is that I now know EXACTLY what my custom will be.

untitled-1.jpg

NOW you have a WESTERN hat !!! Take and print out your picture and take a piece of paper and trace the outline of the crown you have now , turn it over and I would bet it almost duplicates the outline of your face below the brim :) The proportions you have achieved are almost PERFECT !!! Let your handling of it by the brim set the brim curl as was done "back in the day" as you folks are want to say and friend, you will have YOUR Western hat ! Ya done REAL GOOD guy, I'm proud of ya :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Neophyte

Thank you very much, Monbla.

With this new crease, I've nailed the details on my custom idea:
--- a lighter color felt, I'm favoring Bone or Whiskey
--- black tooled leather hatband (dark brown if Whiskey)
--- Gus/Montana crease in crown; crown possibly a fraction of an inch higher
--- 3.75''-4'' brim with kettle curl, no edge binding
--- ventilation holes in the crown (I'm planning to wear this in the warmer months); no liner
--- black color stampede strings

This, along with a gambler from Panama Bob in llano weave, should hold me through the spring & summer :).

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

Neophyte: Great looking hat. I once read that the crown height of your hat should be the same as the distance from your chin to your eyes. Looks like you got that bang on my friend. Enjoy the hat it looks great, lots of character.

Johnny

fmw

One Too Many
I've lost track, here, Neo. Is this the Campdraft or the dark burgundy western? Whichever one, it looks super.

Neophyte

I WISH they offered a Campdraft in Burgundy!

Thank you for the compliment :).
This is the Buckaroo Hatters western, formerly a 4'' telescope crease. Now it's a Gus/Montana , 5'' in the back, 3.5'' up front.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Ok, Neo. You've inspired me to start screwing around with new creases. I've had his old Stetson Twenty Five OR lying around-- it's got some pretty good wear to begin with, but I always felt that the original crease "cattleman?" looked great in a profile but was way too tapered for me from the front, and didn't work too well with what seems like a cup and snap brim.

So I tried a gus, but the original crease was so worn in that you could readily see all the prior crease markings and I bounced it back easily to the first crease.

Well for fun I've always wanted to try a telescope, so without really knowing proper techniques I've done a rather rough-edged 4 inch one. There are still some areas where the original crease shows through in the form of fuzz rubbed from a strong pinch.

Also tried messing with the cup and snap to see if it could be flattened, but I don't think it did much, so both ends are snapped down now. Here are some photos of the progression-- is this blasphemous?
as found:
stetsonopenroadantiques.jpg
[/IMG]
004em.jpg

003hd.jpg
[/IMG]

new shaping:
002hqv.jpg
[/IMG]
001ouk.jpg
[/IMG]
imgp7563.jpg
[/IMG]
imgp7546.jpg
[/IMG]
Regarding the facial axis of symmetry, my face definitely doesn't have straight sides or a wide flat chin, so this may be completely stupid in the first place. Any crease advice from you experienced folks?

DRB

One Too Many
Neophyte: Great looking hat. I once read that the crown height of your hat should be the same as the distance from your chin to your eyes. Looks like you got that bang on my friend. Enjoy the hat it looks great, lots of character.

Johnny

Hey Johnny, you wouldn't be able to remember where you read that fact about crown height would you? I would like to read that myself. I just measured from my chin to eyes and the statement holds true in my case.

I measured 4 1/2 inches. That puts me at a low-crowned wearer. I have always felt that I needed a low crown but never saw it in writing. I have finally sold off all my higher crowned hats and now insist that my hats now and in the future are no more than 5" open crowned. I do not prefer for my hat creases to be deep and sharply pronounced but rather, soft and flowing.

I am sure there are plenty of people here though that think otherwise. I think my style is a bit of a rarity here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe