Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

fmw

One Too Many
Not unique, though. I don't like tall crowns either. Actually, I think they are out of style, let alone wrong for my head.

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, Neo. You've inspired me to start screwing around with new creases. I've had his old Stetson Twenty Five OR lying around-- it's got some pretty good wear to begin with, but I always felt that the original crease "cattleman?" looked great in a profile but was way too tapered for me from the front, and didn't work too well with what seems like a cup and snap brim.

imgp7546.jpg

I'm flattered :). Since I don't have the cash for a new hat, and probably won't for a month or two, I've got to sate my hat-lust by changing up my current hats lol.

I agree about the cattleman crease. I love the profile from every direction but head on. BTW, I like that telescope crease. You should try the telescope with the brim snapped up all around.

frussell

One Too Many
Bowlerman's crease looks a lot like the way the Akubra Campdraft is styled on the sites that sell them. Lots of vendors show the CD in a telescope, with the brim either flat or turned down.

johnnycanuck

Hey Johnny, you wouldn't be able to remember where you read that fact about crown height would you? I would like to read that myself. I just measured from my chin to eyes and the statement holds true in my case.

I measured 4 1/2 inches. That puts me at a low-crowned wearer. I have always felt that I needed a low crown but never saw it in writing. I have finally sold off all my higher crowned hats and now insist that my hats now and in the future are no more than 5" open crowned. I do not prefer for my hat creases to be deep and sharply pronounced but rather, soft and flowing.

I am sure there are plenty of people here though that think otherwise. I think my style is a bit of a rarity here.

Sorry but I can't remember where I read that. I think it was over at COW a few years ago. I have been into hats since I was seven so you loose track where you learn stuff. But I am glad it helped.
Johnny

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Sorry but I can't remember where I read that. I think it was over at COW a few years ago. I have been into hats since I was seven so you loose track where you learn stuff. But I am glad it helped.
Johnny

I definitely remember reading about the "triangle" in the SF Chronicle from one of the gals at Paul's Hat Works but I can't seem to find the exact article at the moment.

Neophyte

Bowlerman's crease looks a lot like the way the Akubra Campdraft is styled on the sites that sell them. Lots of vendors show the CD in a telescope, with the brim either flat or turned down.

Come to think of it, it surely does!

You guys have been busy.

Kudos.

Harry.

It does seem like nearly 30 pages have been added in a week or so :).

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Considering it's now an Australian hat, sounds reasonable that they would crease it and direct their sales ideas towards their biggest market, Australia :) Besides, it's not a big seller in their line-up :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Considering it's now an Australian hat, sounds reasonable that they would crease it and direct their sales ideas towards their biggest market, Australia :) Besides, it's not a big seller in their line-up :)

Well, the Stetson--Campdraft conversion has taken on its own identity at this point. I've been trying to smooth it around and somehow or another the crown has ended up as a low rectangular telescope with rounded sides, and the brim, I think has been slightly "Indyfied." Very different style for me, and I think I'll keep it that way for awhile. Sometimes these hats do just have a mind of their own... I'll post pics soon.

Very nice Stetson 100, Michaelshane!

frussell

One Too Many

Not sure what your point is, was any Akubra not an Australian hat at some point?

Neophyte

I think he meant that since it's no longer made as an official Australian OR, and since Akubra has put it in their "Country" line and given it a common Australian crease, that it has been "re-tailored" for the Australian market.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Not sure what your point is, was any Akubra not an Australian hat at some point?

The Campdraft was a Stetson Open Road made under license by Akubra back in the '50s to get around import taxes and sold as a Stetson. When Akubra no longer made it as a Stetson they sort of absorbed it into their line and gave it another name, the Campdraft. So historicaly it could be refered to more as an American styled hat . :)

Neophyte

That's an awesome crease! I don't think I've ever seen a rectangular telescope, but now I want one :D. Do you have a head-on noggin shot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld