Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Aside from the color, though, that hat DOES seem to be close to what I outlined in my description. That price seems unreasonable, and I've heard too many horror stories about Baron Hats to even consider them.

Thanks for the link, though. I recall this hat in particular being the one that got me interested in western hats in the first place, though I was never crazy about the brown color. I've got some thinking to do :D!

If you don't like that color, and you want a curled brim, model it after this one.
good-bad-ugly.jpg

This is just about what you described.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Monba256 said:
But it MATCHES the REAL THING!!! Authenticity knows NO PRICE in the world of " Wannabes"

Onward thru the Fog

lol This is true. I can even pay for someone to poke a hole in it about the size of a bullet! What a STEAL!

If you don't like that color, and you want a curled brim, model it after this one.
good-bad-ugly.jpg

As I recall, that was a tight-weave straw hat. Cut that brim down to 3.5'' and keep the curl, though, and I see what you mean. People can say what they want about Clint and his movies, but I have NEVER seen the man in a bad hat :).

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Pfft....$400 for a poncho?!!! lol lol lol $560 for the hat!!! :eeek:

Aside from the color, though, that hat DOES seem to be close to what I outlined in my description. That price seems unreasonable, and I've heard too many horror stories about Baron Hats to even consider them.

Thanks for the link, though. I recall this hat in particular being the one that got me interested in western hats in the first place, though I was never crazy about the brown color. I've got some thinking to do :D! It seems that I'm interested in the Civil War/Old West image versus your standard western.

But Neo, it's the JOURNEY & TRIALS & TRIBULATIONS of the aquisition of the hat that is important! Look at all the 3 mo waits, smashed boxes, wrong size shipped, not in stock reasons given for ordering Akubra's from Australia !! The hat is SECONDARY to all this ! It's what makes one a true "hat collector" :) So what if there may be a problem with Barons, it gives one fodder for posting :)
Onward thru the Fog:)

coble

A-List Customer
2855045.jpg

its not a western but the idea came from a western movie to the idea of having a hat with a wide brim that i myself could go work on artwork outside and wear around normally. This is a photo of Kirk Douglas as Van Gogh my favorite artist.
Now to why i posted this here. I am getting this hat made in western beaver felt in natural with a dark green ribbon. I am in discussions with Bob from Black Sheep Hatworks and this is the final decision on design of the brim. It is staying an open crown, and with a bound edge.
A lot of the idea of having the brim curled up did come from watching a lot of old western movies and then i came across this hat, which i plan on eventually getting as a straw hat as well.
Anyways i thought i'd share a fun idea, since Neo is looking into old western hats. I'm having this hat with a rough finish as well, so its going to be a throw around hat i can enjoy and paint in.
I hope this helped Neo in some new ideas.

Last edited:

Neophyte

But Neo, it's the JOURNEY & TRIALS & TRIBULATIONS of the aquisition of the hat that is important! Look at all the 3 mo waits, smashed boxes, wrong size shipped, not in stock reasons given for ordering Akubra's from Australia !! The hat is SECONDARY to all this ! It's what makes one a true "hat collector" :) So what if there may be a problem with Barons, it gives one fodder for posting :)

lol I'm just gonna stop now. :D

2855045.jpg

its not a western but the idea came from a western movie to the idea of having a hat with a wide brim that i myself could go work on artwork outside and wear around normally. This is a photo of Kirk Douglas as Van Gogh my favorite artist.
Now to why i posted this hear. I am getting this hat made in western beaver felt in natural with a dark green ribbon. I am in discussions with Bob from Black Sheep Hatworks and this is the final decision on design of the brim. It is staying an open crown, and with a bound edge.
A lot of the idea of having the brim curled up did come from watching a lot of old western movies and then i came across this hat, which i plan on eventually getting as a straw hat as well.
Anyways i thought i'd share a fun idea, since Neo is looking into old western hats. I'm having this hat with a rough finish as well, so its going to be a throw around hat i can enjoy and paint in.
I hope this helped Neo in some new ideas.
Coble, your pic did not come through, but I would love to see the hat.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm a fan of the general style of the 1950s and 1960s TV and film western styles. Actually, I think I can see myself getting one within the next two years or so if the budget permits, or if some family members would be so kind to pitch in for a Christmas or birthday gift. Clint Eastwood's style of hat in the Dollars trilogy for example, is a style I may consider. So if you're going toward an Eastwood-inspired design, cool. Are you planning on a Man With No Name hat, a Hang 'Em High hat, or just something relatively inspired by them?

Neophyte

I'm a fan of the general style of the 1950s and 1960s TV and film western styles. Actually, I think I can see myself getting one within the next two years or so if the budget permits, or if some family members would be so kind to pitch in for a Christmas or birthday gift. Clint Eastwood's style of hat in the Dollars trilogy for example, is a style I may consider. So if you're going toward an Eastwood-inspired design, cool. Are you planning on a Man With No Name hat, a Hang 'Em High hat, or just something relatively inspired by them?

I bet you could rock one just fine, JB. The thing about Old West hats is that there's not much shape to them. They're simple hats that look good on a WIDE range of people.
As for which hat: I think a hybrid combining the best features of both movie hats, in a natural or grey felt color would be my ideal. It's been established that I can rock a telescope crown and a brim p to 3.5'', so that's something to keep in mind as well.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I bet you could rock one just fine, JB. The thing about Old West hats is that there's not much shape to them. They're simple hats that look good on a WIDE range of people.
As for which hat: I think a hybrid combining the best features of both movie hats, in a natural or grey felt color would be my ideal. It's been established that I can rock a telescope crown and a brim p to 3.5'', so that's something to keep in mind as well.

Right, when you're dealing with authentic old west styles, like the Boss of the Plains model by Stetson, they were a bit more simple in shape, generally speaking (based on pictures I've seen, some people did crease their hat, if somewhat less pronounced), taking in different character through exposure to the elements (rain, snow, dirt, etc). The film hats of the Golden and Atomic ages, from say the period between the 1920s to 1970s, hats were mostly reflective of creases that were mostly 20th century in appearance, rather than being 19th century. As a matter in fact, many of the western hats did have creases that could be termed "fedora" creases, like the teardrop or just a center dent. I'm not sure if the former in particular was very common during the actual mid-19th century though.

Neophyte

coble said:

That straw's got a lot of character, I like it! You've got a great eye for style, Coble. However, now you've got me thinking about a western straw, too shakeshead. Thanks a lot :D.

good-bad-ugly.jpg

Now that Yeps brought it up, does anyone have any leads on where I could get a panam/straw in the shape of Blondie's first hat at the beginning of TGTBaTU?

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
That straw's got a lot of character, I like it! You've got a great eye for style, Coble. However, now you've got me thinking about a western straw, too shakeshead. Thanks a lot :D.

Now that Yeps brought it up, does anyone have any leads on where I could get a panam/straw in the shape of Blondie's first hat at the beginning of TGTBaTU?

Neo, refer back to Baron's site as they sell THE hat as was used in the movie. It is under the GOOD hat section of the Clint Eastwood stuff :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Neo,
If Baron's is not your cup o tea :) . try Panama Bob as he sells both a Montecristi and Cuenca weave Panama in several grades called the Gambler :)

Gambler1.jpg

Onward thru the Fog :)

Neophyte

Neo, refer back to Baron's site as they sell THE hat as was used in the movie. It is under the GOOD hat section of the Clint Eastwood stuff :)

I looked at the Baron's replica. The main difference is that I would like a straw hat, as in the movie, whereas the version sold by Baron is pure fur felt.
Thank you for pointing out Panama Bob. I will definitely be checking that out. :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Check Baron's again, last time I looked they had a straw version available as well. It's listed at the bottom under the felts. :) But PB's will be MUCH cheaper even a low grade Montecristi. You would have to get someone else to change the hat band but would still come out cheaper with PB for sure. :)

Neophyte

Ah, now I see! $795!!! :jaw: :faint2:

Thanks for posting that pic of the PB Gambler, I REALLY like the looks of it. I think I know what I'll be wearing this summer, now :D.

Neophyte

http://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/pr...rown-montana-peak-hat-guatemalan-std-palm.cfm

If you're looking for something a bit less expensive, try this one- the crowns on these are very easy to reshape with water. Change out the band, wear it to death, and there you go.

Thanks! You guys are making it much harder to decide on hats with all this new information and referencing lol.

I may be a little :eek:fftopic:, but how does the weave on palm straws compare to "brisa" and "llano"?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Ah, now I see! $795!!! :jaw: :faint2:

Thanks for posting that pic of the PB Gambler, I REALLY like the looks of it. I think I know what I'll be wearing this summer, now :D.

I agree with you about Barons, ridiculous :) BUT get over to PB's site and check with him as he has many of his Cuenca Panama's on sale for $9.99. With shipping it would be $30.00 but that's STILL reasonable for what you can get from Robert. As you know, he's well thought of here and I have 6 of his hats so far :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! You guys are making it much harder to decide on hats with all this new information and referencing lol.

I may be a little :eek:fftopic:, but how does the weave on palm straws compare to "brisa" and "llano"?

As I have seen in the palm straw hats I have seen, they are a broader fiber so you don't get the same smooth appearance as you do with the weaving of the toquila fibers used in Panama's. They both are a woven fiber hat, but very different in appearance due to the difference in the materials used. Nice hats for sure, just not the same in appearance. Go look at 'em on that site, then look at the Panama's on PB's site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe