Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

1OldGI

Familiar Face
It's Official

I'm convinced that the reason I'm so hot after an Akubra Campdraft is because it looks like a Stratoliner. Oh well, maybe I'll luck out and find a Stratoliner on ebay for a reasonable price before the Fall hat purchase. Probably the wrong thread to bring this up on but if you've got one you're willing to part with in size 7 1/2 PM me. I think if I had a couple Stratoliners (one in the tan color and one in silverbelly) and a couple sweet panamas I'd probably never look at another hat (yeah, right)

RBH

Bartender
1OldGI said:
I'm convinced that the reason I'm so hot after an Akubra Campdraft is because it looks like a Stratoliner. Oh well, maybe I'll luck out and find a Stratoliner on ebay for a reasonable price before the Fall hat purchase. Probably the wrong thread to bring this up on but if you've got one you're willing to part with in size 7 1/2 PM me. I think if I had a couple Stratoliners (one in the tan color and one in silverbelly) and a couple sweet panamas I'd probably never look at another hat (yeah, right)
The Camp Draft is about as close to a Stratoliner as you will now get [ other than a vintage Stratoliner or a modern custom]
The Camp Draft is a little more abundant in its size than a Stratoliner but the basic look is much the same.
As to the size .. I too am a 7 1\2, and I got my Stratoliner right before the price really took off on vintage hats. But if you keep an eye out you will come across one and just might get it for a steal.
You can start getting a leg up on it by finding a pin and box first, then add the hat when it comes up! Then you will have the total package.
But be aware that alot if most Stratoliners did not come with a pin.
I believe that they were an option you could get. I dont think that out of all the Stratoliners we see on E-Bay had the pins removed.
GOOD LUCK in your search!!!

{by the way thats my Stratoliner I have on in my avatar}

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Carter and Tom, Here it is. full frontal....

IMG_0889.jpg

with smile. :D

1OldGI

Familiar Face
With all due respect to the Stratoliners (both hat and aircraft), I suspect that come fall I'll be wearing either a Stratoliner or (more likely) a Camp Draft. Since we are on an aviation theme here, and I've only seen the Stratoliner in pictures, I thought I'd sport a pin from an aircraft I have some historical and traditional link to. Something like this:

F-4.jpg

Hope I don't get tarred and feathered for my egrigious departure but the lead sled was one of my first kisses from something made of metal, with wings and they'll probably have a soft spot in my heart forever. I once re-enlisted in the back seat of an F-4G doing a full burner climb over Crow Valley Bomb range in the Phillipines. Not many things nearly as good as sex but that was one of them :D

RBH

Bartender
1OldGI said:
With all due respect to the Stratoliners (both hat and aircraft), I suspect that come fall I'll be wearing either a Stratoliner or (more likely) a Camp Draft. Since we are on an aviation theme here, and I've only seen the Stratoliner in pictures, I thought I'd sport a pin from an aircraft I have some historical and traditional link to. Something like this:

F-4.jpg

Hope I don't get tarred and feathered for my egrigious departure but the lead sled was one of my first kisses from something made of metal, with wings and they'll probably have a soft spot in my heart forever. I once re-enlisted in the back seat of an F-4G doing a full burner climb over Crow Valley Bomb range in the Phillipines. Not many things nearly as good as sex but that was one of them :D
By all means put that pin on your CampDraft,
check the Post the Pins On Your Fedora thread and you will see we love all kinds of pins on our hats!

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16100

tortswon

Practically Family
My brand new Art Fawcett refurbished Stratoliner

After months of waiting, I finally received the Stratoliner I won on eBay that I received crumpled in a one square foot box. Here are the before pictures:

I sent it off to Art Fawcett and here is what came in the mail today!

This is my first thin ribbon. The felt on this hat is incredibly light and as the weather turns, this will surely become a "go to" hat. I hope this will qualify me for membership in the Stratoliner Society! Best, Sam

PS Can anybody help me find the right pin for this hat? SC

billyspew

One Too Many
tortswon said:
After months of waiting, I finally received the Stratoliner I won on eBay that I received crumpled in a one square foot box.

I sent it off to Art Fawcett and here is what came in the mail today!

Great work, looks good on you.
Did he clean and re-block? Is it the original ribbon/sweat?

Cheers,

Bill

tortswon

Practically Family
Refurb details

Bill, he cleaned and blocked. The ribbon and sweat are new. I wished that the sweat could have been saved but the hat would not have been wearable. I prefer the hat to be wearable that to have the original sweat. Best, Sam

billyspew

One Too Many
tortswon said:
Bill, he cleaned and blocked. The ribbon and sweat are new. I wished that the sweat could have been saved but the hat would not have been wearable. I prefer the hat to be wearable that to have the original sweat. Best, Sam

Thanks for that.
Well it turned out great and you've now got a lovely lightweight felt for summer.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I just acquired this today - it is as close to mint condition in a used hat that I've ever seen. Unfortunately it's a 7 and I wear a 7 1/4 - is that too much to stretch?

Also, I'm guessing that with all the changes in labels and bands over the years, it's probably no huge secret on how to determine the approximate age of a Stetson. I'm guessing this one is late '50s/early '60s - am I warm?

Strat1.jpg

StratBottom.jpg

StratBand.jpg

I acquired my Holy Grail...

After reading about my quest, a fellow lounger made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Here is my 7 5/8 Long Oval Stetson Stratoliner. It is what my mother would call a "mouse gray", not the gun metal that I posted in the Holy Grail but then I didn't know about this versatile color.
strat1.jpg

Strat2.jpg

Strat3.jpg

Strat4.jpg

strat5.jpg

strat6.jpg

strathead3.jpg

strathead2.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Some nice additions here lately...

tortswon -- great color on your Strat!

ScottF -- nice color on yours, as well. I think you're on track in terms of dating -- I would put it in the early 60's range.

gtd -- glad you scored your Strat! You're right about the color -- that light gray is very versatile and is very cool.

Great lids, guys! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

RBH

Bartender
gtdean48 said:
Given that my last name is Dean, I'm in search of this Stetson Stratoliner advertisement. Let me know if you know of one for sale....
StratAd.jpg
Great hat Tom!!
I would love to see the ad myself.
We have now found what type pin goes on this hat and from the photo in the ad... we see how to place the hat in the box.
I place my stratoliner in my box the same way.
That gives the Stratoliner the distinct curl on the back of the brim.

I am sure not all Stratoliners came with a pin nor with the box.

tortswon

Practically Family
Congrats!

Seems like a lot of us acquired Stratoliners recently. GTD and Scott, those are a couple of beauties! Wear them well. Best, Sam

Thanks Rusty.
I got an ad off ebay for Stratoliner but it doesn't have any pin shown, unlike this "Mr. Dean" ad does. It has the hat priced at $7.50 instead of $6.50.
I'm going to stay with the Stratoliner pin you pointed me to. I like that it is flying in another direction, something I can relate to!!!! :D

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beautiful Strats, Scott and GTD. Interesting how these gorgeous Strats are popping up lately. The one I won is drop dead gorgeous and so are yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld