Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

rlk

I'll Lock Up

4888162743_3fbc41edea_o.png

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure Rolnick Hats was just another brand offered by Byer-Rolnick, along with Resistol and Churchill. They never registered the brand's trademark, so perhaps as a hat brand it didn't survive past the '50s. I do agree that your hat is no older than 1940, and is probably late-'40s to early-'50s.

Brad

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
I'm sure Rolnick Hats was just another brand offered by Byer-Rolnick, along with Resistol and Churchill. They never registered the brand's trademark, so perhaps as a hat brand it didn't survive past the '50s. I do agree that your hat is no older than 1940, and is probably late-'40s to early-'50s.

Brad

Byer-Rolnick also made at least some Pilgrim hats, hats for Sears and private labeled versions of their regular line. For the most part they didn't use the same trademarks as on the Resistols.

I'm thinking 40s - 50s on that Rolnick too.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
As indicated above George and Harry had a Rolnick Bros partnership and Byer and Rolnick began with The Florence Hat Co. in 1927(perhaps a purchase/takeover), the first Resistol in 1930. All 3 of these names were in use in 1930 at least.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
fresh eBay buy

Please excuse my cheap digital camera's poor photos....

47321_680404476928_11701808_38362841_1360834_n.jpg

Any ideas on the age of this one? The crest does read "A Byer-Rolnick Product." Also, is there really Beaver in this one (it says "Beaver XXX" on the sweat)? It's a really lightweight felt, the crease would change if you look at it practically!

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
jlee562 said:
Any ideas on the age of this one? The crest does read "A Byer-Rolnick Product." Also, is there really Beaver in this one (it says "Beaver XXX" on the sweat)? It's a really lightweight felt, the crease would change if you look at it practically!

Well, the "Krushable" trademark was first used on 6/6/1957 so it cannot be older than that. Resistol stopped making dress hats in the late 1960s (1968, I think) so not newer than that.

The light weight is part of the "Krushable" feature.

Yes, there is at least one strand of beaver fur in that hat. Byer-Rolnick never had a Registered Trademark for "Beaver XXX" so they would have had to put some beaver fur in the hat in order to stay out of trouble. They could have used floor sweepings.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jlee562 said:
47321_680404476928_11701808_38362841_1360834_n.jpg

My guess is mid 1960s, judged by recollections of what movie and TV actors wore at the time, which to me is the most accessible way to estimate age. By the way, I really like the way your hat is creased. It's the best solution for it IMHO.

danofarlington

DanielJones said:
This is my Resistol conversion bey Art. It is my Resistol Elko.
100_5354.jpg

Cheers!

Dan
I love to see wide brims on hats. It's a kind of devil-may-care fearlessness in style, which when worn gives space to others to wear wide brims. In other words, the more wide brims I see out there, the more comfortable I feel wearing mine. Several of my Borsalinos have 2 7/8 inch brim which are rather wide, almost flamboyant, but I like the rakishness of them. You need a little nerve, and it doesn't hurt to have support out there from others.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Walk tall & own the look, there is no reason one shouldn't wear the hat they like & not feel foolish or even flamboyant. In our area there are enough cowboys in wide brimmed hats where this doesn't even come close to standing out. There are even several that wear this Elko style here too.

Cheers!

Dan

barrowjh

One Too Many
Awesome Elko!

Absolutely awesome! Really nice, great re-use of a 1970's - 80's urban c'boy hat. The Resistols from that time were often tacky and over-the-top, but under the bling they were still great felts. I really like the conversion!

frussell

One Too Many
Elko

Daniel, that is a fine looking conversion/upgrade. Put a pair of chinks on you, and you could be in a William Matthews buckaroo painting. I like the flashy ribbon a lot. I wish I didn't have stampede string holes punched in so many of my old hats, I'd send them off for something similar immediately. Frank

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh said:
Absolutely awesome! Really nice, great re-use of a 1970's - 80's urban c'boy hat. The Resistols from that time were often tacky and over-the-top, but under the bling they were still great felts. I really like the conversion!

Thank you very much! Fortunately this was one of those plain old cowboy hats I bought in the early 90's before I headed off to school & used while I did rodeo. Got stomped on a couple of times too. Rock solid felt that has stood the test of time and got a new life to boot.

frussell said:
Daniel, that is a fine looking conversion/upgrade. Put a pair of chinks on you, and you could be in a William Matthews buckaroo painting. I like the flashy ribbon a lot. I wish I didn't have stampede string holes punched in so many of my old hats, I'd send them off for something similar immediately. Frank

Thank you Frank! The inspiration did come from a book of William Matthews art that I have. Good eye. As for the chinks, mine are packed deep away for the time being.
You know. even with the stampede string holes, you might be able to get a decent conversion out of them. Then add your stampede strings back on. Worth a try any way.

Cheers!

Dan

casechopper

150719541 said:
Nice hat, I like to using in outdoor bull-fights.. It looks "matador"
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

That was what I thought when I first saw it as well. With the porkpie bash it looks very Spanish, almost like what you'd expect Zorro to wear.

Eso fue lo que yo pense cuando primero lo vi tambien. Con el "bash" de "porkpie" se ve muy espanol, casi como lo que esperarias que Zorro usaria.

One Too Many
What would I do now?

casechopper said:
That was what I thought when I first saw it as well. With the porkpie bash it looks very Spanish, almost like what you'd expect Zorro to wear.

Eso fue lo que yo pense cuando primero lo vi tambien. Con el "bash" de "porkpie" se ve muy espanol, casi como lo que esperarias que Zorro usaria.
Think a desire now, me too and wish I will be true ¡¡¡¡¡¡
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe