Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, there is nothing about that photo I don't adore. That is a great pic; much action in it.
Good you like it Fruno, I will search in my paper proof others cows deal, more modern to scan and publish

Seems like trading cattle has some sort of international language. Here in Holland the trading took place exactly the same way. Prices went back and forth with a clap of the hand until a deal was struck, then spit and shake.
This is the ritual ;)

I don't know...based on the body language and demeanors of the gents on the left and center, it seem the poor guy on the right is being forced to accept an offer he can't refuse.

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it!
I suspect this is a small theater set up for the photographer.
As Stefan says, the negotiation is long and very "suspicious" on both sides.
Is the middleman who acts as the main actor who has the power to agree the parties. In the end of the deal it is difficult to see smiles, even because during the day, say until lunch time, negotiations begin at dawn, it is possible buyer and seller to meet again, perhaps on the opposite parties.
Only at lunchtime there will be smiles for the concluded business and the breeders are usually of great heart, but they are prudent and touchy, especially when they deal livestock.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Florence, 1953.
38C6CE83-C27E-4D03-AE58-AF78021E34B4.jpeg

D7D29D24-1F57-42AE-8886-FF34FF99277E.jpeg

And you speak from recent experience? o_O

:D:D:D:D:D
Only the experience of watching others attempt, and fail, to obtain their object of choice. I did actually once see a guy get a small stuffed animal for his girlfriend out of one of those machines, but it took more than a few attempts and he only got it because one of the hooks on the claw got caught on a ribbon around the animal's neck. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken