Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

This was Kathleen Rockwell, better known as Klondike Kate. She was a performer & a dancer who later married a Hollywood movie mogul who failed to make her a Hollywood star.

9hhm9x.jpg

169kweh.jpg

Not a woman in sight.

I think selling tickets to see outlaws became common for a while after the Civil War. Lots of political dignitaries & others had their picture taken with Jesse James as he lay on the cooling board. The town where I grew up had their last hanging in 1896. They built a 20' high stockade fence around the gallows, sold tickets to the hanging & sold pictures of it later.

I think selling tickets to see outlaws became common for a while after the Civil War...
And, in one case at least, history reveals this practice was taken to an extreme, albeit unintentionally.

In December of 1976 a television crew was preparing a "funhouse" at an amusement park called The Pike in Long Beach, California, for filming an episode of The Six Million Dollar Man. While moving what he thought was a wax mannequin, one of the crew discovered it was actually mummified human remains. The subsequent investigation by the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office concluded the remains were those of Elmer J. McCurdy, an inept American train and bank robber who was killed in a shootout with police in Oklahoma in October, 1911. The story of his body's 65-year journey from Oklahoma to California is detailed in an interesting book called "Elmer McCurdy: The Life and Afterlife of an American Outlaw", which also examines the chicanery and deceit of freakshows, sideshows, and carnivals in America during that time.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I could probably be mistaken for a couple of those guys in about 10 yrs. Actually I figure if the US continues to normalize relations with Cuba, in about 10 yrs I'll be where the living & the loving comes cheap, playing chess & drinking good rum with my friends all day.

wh0h9i.jpg

I'm right there with ya ... the silver will set in soon enough

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I always knew if I took after my dad's side of the family I would be silver & white early; if I followed the men on my mom's side of the family I wouldn't have to worry with my hair. I got what I wanted! My temples started to turn in my early 30's.

it is a great look in my opinion... I look forward to wearing it proud
just as my old man did when he was alive

it is a great look in my opinion... I look forward to wearing it proud just as my old man did when he was alive
This. We have a good friend who hates gray hair and believes everyone should dye their hair when it starts to turn gray. When my beard started going gray she constantly commented on how much "better" I'd look if I dyed it. So, even if I had wanted to dye my beard, which I don't, I deliberately wouldn't do it just because it bugs her so much. :D

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
i miss the old pals that would be there today

I was sitting in McSorley’s. outside it was New York and
beautifully snowing.........
e.e. cummings
spent many a sauced up nights at McSorleys .... all the guys running around in lab coats serving pitchers of beer
just light and dark ... thats it ... no brands .. saw dust in my boots .. love it ...

... ok ... who's drivin' home ?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This. We have a good friend who hates gray hair and believes everyone should dye their hair when it starts to turn gray. When my beard started going gray she constantly commented on how much "better" I'd look if I dyed it. So, even if I had wanted to dye my beard, which I don't, I deliberately wouldn't do it just because it bugs her so much. :D
I don't think Clooney or Gere would agree with her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe