Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think they might be larger scale games than the ones I sat in on when I was six -- gad, contributing to the delinquency of a minor! -- but I don't think they're being run on the scale of a candy store back room. That's not the sense I've gotten from the stories we've had so far, and I don't think Surpless would have been quite so pointed in his remarks if they were straight up gambling hells.

LaGuardia, as we have seen repeateldly, combines the soul of a Progressive Age reformer with the rigidity of a Puritan. It's an interesting and sometimes unnerving combination.

I think they might be larger scale games than the ones I sat in on when I was six -- gad, contributing to the delinquency of a minor! -- but I don't think they're being run on the scale of a candy store back room. That's not the sense I've gotten from the stories we've had so far, and I don't think Surpless would have been quite so pointed in his remarks if they were straight up gambling hells.

LaGuardia, as we have seen repeateldly, combines the soul of a Progressive Age reformer with the rigidity of a Puritan. It's an interesting and sometimes unnerving combination.

Thank you, I now got it: It was closer to the friends and family game on the continuum.

By the time I was 8, I was keeping track of my father's bets for him be it on ballgames or at the racetrack. It was a different time. I can still see the small spiral notebook I used like it was yesterday.

No kidding Re LaGuardia, there is no room for his type in modern politics.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_21_1.jpg

("T'ese Hollywood charactehs," sighs Sally. "Slappin' people, knifin' people, I ask ya. Ack like a buncha gangstehs." "Heh," hehs Alice. "Whassofunny?" queries Sally. "Oh, nut'n," she shrugs. "I was jus' t'inkin'a ya Unca Frank." "Nut'n funny 'bout t'at," frowns Sally. "He's still inna hawspital. T'ey give 'im a blood transfusion t'fois' night 'e was inneh an' Ma sezzeh watchin' 'im f'obsehvation a'sump'n." "I hope 'e's gonna be awright," exhales Alice. "He's awrways been good t'me. He gimme a job t'eh, when I was jus' a kid, didn' know what it was awlabout, an'nee showed me what it was awlabout." "What IS," propounds Sally, with a glance at her seatmate, "it awlabout?" "I uset'a t'ink I knew," shrugs Alice. "Now I -- guess I didn' know what anyt'ing was awlabout afteh'rawl. But anyways, I hope Unca Frank's awright." "Yeh," agrees Sally.)

Land-based Liberator bombers, intensifying the two-way drive on the Philippines, battered the big port of Davao without opposition in daylight Monday, it was disclosed today as American forces virtually completed their conquest of the stepping stone islands east and south of the Philippines. The Tokyo radio indicated that the Japanese fear a landing by the Americans in the Philippines is imminent. More than 50 Liberators out of the Far Eastern Air Force carried out the attack on Davao, showering 120 tons of bombs on airdromes, supply, and personnel installations.

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_21_2.jpg

("Ye know," says Uncle Frank, flopping the paper down on the bed, "thar's gonnarbe a big boom in this waar surploos after th' warr. Ye mark me warrds. Oi've ahllready got some feelars oot t'get in aahn that. Oi'm sure there'll be lootsa -- uh -- ploombin' s'plies I can pick oop far cheap." "Well," sighs Ma, "we bettar get soomthin' gooin'. This haaaspital doon't charge fifty cents'a noit." "Oh," chuckles Uncle Frank, "Oi'm naaaht worried aboot that. Th' bill will get paid." "Yaaaar naaaht," frowns Ma, "plannin' t'put that fool Inky Quinlan ahhn th' case." "Oh, perish th' thaaat," snickers Uncle Frank.)

The Office of Price Administration has begun an investigation into the manufacture and sale toys, in an effort to insure fair prices for all for the coming Christmas season. Investigators intend to devote special scrutiny to new product lines introduced to replace those discontinued due to the war, particularly those replacing metal construction with imitation wood or cardboard. Examiners at a special conference held yesterday at the OPA headquarters in the Empire State Building also indicated there will be a seasonal investigation of the luggage, radio, and jewelry trades.

Some degree of work on the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, construction of which was halted by the war in September of 1942, could be resumed as soon as the Government issues its OK, and the project could be under construction again at full speed within three months of that approval. An inspection of the work site by the New York Tunnel Authority reached that conclusion after the Authority applied to the War Production Board to permit the manufactue of 790 tons of bolts, nuts, and washers needed for the project, as mentioned by Mayor LaGuardia in his Sunday broadcast. All other material needed to resume work on the tunnel is on hand and ready for use.

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_21_8.jpg

("Yeah, but Jerry Colonna's still funnier.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_21_13.jpg

(So you're saying Mr. Parrott is Rickey's shill? That's mean. It's true, but it's still mean. Oh, and ask him for a new headshot of Leo. He's put on a lot of weight since 1938.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_21_15.jpg

(Abbot & Costello? Hmph. Whatever became of Olsen & Johnson?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_21_6.jpg

(Well, at least he doesn't throw bricks.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_21_6(1).jpg

(Every successful gambler has a system.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_21_6(2).jpg

("Well, define 'spy.'")

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_21_6(3).jpg

(You can never put one over on A GAS STATION ATTENDANT!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_21_6(4).jpg

("Hmph! A bowl of chili? Well, better'n nothing.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_09_21_526.jpg

And you thought they'd forgotten.

Daily_News_1944_09_21_528.jpg

Tommy Dorsey smokes reefers? Krupa I can believe, but TOMMY DORSEY??? Anyways, Pat wasn't aiming for your nose, she just couldn't take those ridiculous sideburns.

Daily_News_1944_09_21_558.jpg

You really like this, don't you Tracy?

Daily_News_1944_09_21_568.jpg

"Smells in heeh," sighs Joe, glancing around the crowded interior of the bouncing, rattling truck for the source of the particular aroma. "Hmph," hmphs the Corporal. "You ain't no fragrant flowuh yo'self."

Daily_News_1944_09_21_572.jpg

That's it, kid. Perky optimism.

Daily_News_1944_09_21_574.jpg

Everyone scores a lucky shot now and then.

Daily_News_1944_09_21_578.jpg

Have another donut, Sarge.

Daily_News_1944_09_21_582.jpg

Well, hey, it's a long war and life is short.

Daily_News_1944_09_21_583.jpg

"We're going to sneak out to the car without Mama. Give us a half an hour lead time before you let on."

Daily_News_1944_09_21_586.jpg

New assistant, Mr. Willard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld