Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think they might be larger scale games than the ones I sat in on when I was six -- gad, contributing to the delinquency of a minor! -- but I don't think they're being run on the scale of a candy store back room. That's not the sense I've gotten from the stories we've had so far, and I don't think Surpless would have been quite so pointed in his remarks if they were straight up gambling hells.

LaGuardia, as we have seen repeateldly, combines the soul of a Progressive Age reformer with the rigidity of a Puritan. It's an interesting and sometimes unnerving combination.

I think they might be larger scale games than the ones I sat in on when I was six -- gad, contributing to the delinquency of a minor! -- but I don't think they're being run on the scale of a candy store back room. That's not the sense I've gotten from the stories we've had so far, and I don't think Surpless would have been quite so pointed in his remarks if they were straight up gambling hells.

LaGuardia, as we have seen repeateldly, combines the soul of a Progressive Age reformer with the rigidity of a Puritan. It's an interesting and sometimes unnerving combination.

Thank you, I now got it: It was closer to the friends and family game on the continuum.

By the time I was 8, I was keeping track of my father's bets for him be it on ballgames or at the racetrack. It was a different time. I can still see the small spiral notebook I used like it was yesterday.

No kidding Re LaGuardia, there is no room for his type in modern politics.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld