Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_26_1.jpg

("I dunno," exhales Sally, "remembeh in t'oity-six t'eh, awlem polls said Landon was gonna win. I guess he foun' out nawt t'b'lieve in no polls. I t'ink t'is is gonna be a close one. Awlamoeh reason why you gotta get ya votin' straightend out." "Oh," injects Alice, "T'a't's inna bag. Yeh. Evr'yt'ing's jake." "Oh?" ohs Sally, flipping her seatmate a sidelong glance. "'Ja fine'ya boit' c'tificate aftehrawl?" "Uh," uhs Alice, "well..." "CLAWRK STREET NEX' STAWP," roars the voice of the conductor as the subway lurches into Brooklyn. "CHANGE 'EEH F'T' B-M-T!" "Oh," resumes Alice, "I jus' rememehed sump'n. Soon's we get home, I need t'go upta t'Ginsboigs' an' check awn Zippy. You know, t'eh tawkin' boid t'eh. T'eh'r at soivices t'night. T' Day'v Atonemen'." "Y'know," nods Sally, "I awrways liked t'ideeh'ra t'at. A time when y't'ink'a 'bout awla t'ings ya done wrong an' how y'c'n do betteh. I guess we awl do a lotta t'ings t'at's wrong. I mean, maybe I say some mean t'ings t'you, but'choo know I don' mean it." "Eh," ehs Alice, her face clouding. "I guess I do my shaeh'ra t'ings I prob'ly shouldn'. But -- I mean -- is it wrawng t'do sump'n wrawng if t'ezza good reason f'rit?" Sally offers a quizzical glance. "Y'know," she sighs, "t'e'z moeh'ta you'n people t'ink." "I hope so," shrugs Alice.)

Troops of the British 8th Army have crossed the Rubicon, and captured Bordonchio, Camerano, and several other towns near the Adriatic coast as the Germans move up reinforcements for fierce counterattacks which virtually halted the American drive on Verona. British troops have cleared the enemy from the area between the Marecchia and the Rubicon rivers and have forced a number of bridgeheads across the latter historic stream.

President Roosevelt will make at least one campaign speech in New York City and one upstate, it was confirmed today by Democratic National Committeeman Robert E. Hannegan. The President's appearance in the city is expected to take place in the last week before Election Day.

Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine will be sworn in by Mayor LaGuardia on Thursday for his third five-year term as he completes a full ten years in office. The Commissioner is 60 years old.

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_26_3.jpg

("I hoop Sally has th' sense," fumes Ma, with a glance at Leonora, immersed in a copy of 'True Romances', "t'stay hoom aftarr th' warr an' raise'arr choild loike Oi done. I didn't waark in noo fact'ry." Uncle Frank snickers as he sips his two-cents-plain. "What's soo fonny?" demands Ma. "Oooh, Oi dunno," he chuckles. "Seems t'me Oi remembarr ye waaarked soo hard in 'eer, ye run poor ol' Mistarr Lieb roit oot th' daarr." "That was diff'rn't," insists Ma. "We was livin' roit oopstars, wharr Oi could keep a cloos oye aahn th' children. They didn't take a deep breath without Oi haard aboot it. Oi didn' go paaarkin' thim with noo relatives. B'soides," she adds, lowering her voice, "THAT woon is gett'n too smarrt far'rar oon good. T'day she aaasked me what it means t'caaahmbinate a noombar!" "Ye didn't tell 'ar, didjee?" queries Uncle Frank. "Oi did NAAAHT!" snaps Ma. "Good," nods Uncle Frank. "And," Ma adds, "Oi didn' take 'arr bet neitharr!" Uncle Frank laughs out loud, but stops short as Ma's face creases into a sudden frown. "Lean ovarr here, Francis," she commands. "Oh, now Nora," blushes Uncle Frank, "noo kissin' in froonta th' baby," "Kiss noothin'," scowls Ma, taking a deep sniff. "YOU been SMOKIN'!" "Ah," ahs Uncle Frank, his eyes rolling ceilingward. "AH!" conculdes Ma.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_26_4.jpg

(Greenwich Village? Don Ameche sure gets around.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_26_6.jpg

("Oh, don't worry, Doctor, I have the water balloons up in my room.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_26_11.jpg

(Rube Melton is the Thomas Edison of the Dodger staff? You mean he'd be 97 years old if he wasn't dead? That sounds about right.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_26_17.jpg

(You know, all it would need is a bit of scar tissue dehiscence and you'll be right back where you started.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_26_17(1).jpg

(I mean, you really can't make a living selling candy, soda, cigarettes, and papers.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_26_17(2).jpg

(Checks and stripes are really big this fall.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_26_17(3).jpg

(Nice save, Alice -- uh -- whateveryournameis.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_26_17(4).jpg

(NUMBER ONE HERO DOGS ARE MADE, NOT BORN!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_09_26_384.jpg

Y'know, twenty years ago the News would have published that whole poem without blinking, but I guess we all get more respectable as we get older.

Daily_News_1944_09_26_392.jpg

I have a copy of this pamphlet. It's clear, scientific, and to the point. There are quality ratings for different brands of condoms and contraceptive jellies, and detailed information on other methods of contraception. There's also a warning that the market in 1944 is flooded with cheap, defective condoms, and the buyer must not purchase from gas stations, bars, or other such establishments.

Daily_News_1944_09_26_404.jpg

In loving detail, eh Mr. Gould?

Daily_News_1944_09_26_405.jpg

"What's the easiest way to blow up a submarine?"

Daily_News_1944_09_26_412.jpg

"I don't know -- does he fly those missions with his feet on the wheel?"

Daily_News_1944_09_26_414.jpg

Just because he's got a better haircut doesn't mean you can let down your guard.

Daily_News_1944_09_26_417.jpg

You know, the two of you could easily get actual jobs.

Daily_News_1944_09_26_418.jpg

Mustn't keep the process servers waiting!

Daily_News_1944_09_26_419.jpg

I can't wait for Burms to take this little twerp apart.

Daily_News_1944_09_26_422.jpg

A true master at the height of his powers.

Last edited:
And also...
Daily_News_1944_09_26_389.jpg

Seven million stories.

Wasn't there a daughter a while back who stole some money and ran away, and her parents, too, sent out a message like this?

Had I stolen money from my Dad and ran away, he would have 1. written me off as a complete loss ("Nope, no children, never had any."), or 2. posted a classified like this hoping to lure me back so that he could kill me.

I would not have been fooled by the latter.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_27_1.jpg

("Nooo, noo, tharr's noo doobt aboot it," declares Uncle Frank. "Th' warr's goin' t'be ovarr in a mattar'a weeks, an' ye'll be seein' Mickey an' Joe roit here hoom farr Christmas." "Don't be changin' th' soobject, Francis Leary," scowls Ma. "Oi KNOW ye been sneakin' smooks. Ye smelled oov'it yestardayy, an' ye smell oov'it t'day, aaan aaaahn toopa that, whin ye took ye hand oota ye paaacket joost now, Oi see a cellarphane cigar wrappar faaal oot. It's roit tharr on th' floor boi ye shoe!" "Disgraceful, Nora, joost disgraceful," exclaims Uncle Frank, bending down to retrieve said wrapper. "Ye really aaaht t'considar hoirin' a janitarr t'sweep oop in heer, aaahl these riff raffy coostamars throowin' tharr trash aaahn th' floor." He deftly knots the wrapper, flips it over the counter, and watches it flutter into the wastebasket. "Ye really should," he adds, "troi t'keep a higharrr-tooned place." "Oi know fool well yarr gett'n'm f'rm soomplace," glares Ma. "Oi told th' boys if Oi harrd they was gett'n'm farr ye Oi'd whale'm inta nixt Tuesday. An' ye moit loike t'know Oi had Danny goo aroond t'aaahl th' stores in th' Flatlands an' poot'm aaahf ye so ye don't git no oidears whin ye oot th' warehoose." "Oh, now, Nora," frowns Uncle Frank. "Oooh now Nora noothin'," retorts Ma. "Oi'm woon steppaheadda ye, Francis, an' Oi'll aaahlways BE woon steppaheadda ye! Oi evaan taaalked t' Garrity, th' tobaccar whoolesaler, an' he's gett'n th' warrd oot aaaaahl oovar town. Nooooo, ye can go hithar an' yaaaahn, bootchee ain' gett'n noo cigars. Th' doctarr said ye was t'quit, an' may th' divil melt me, Oi'm gonnar see to it that'chee DO quit." "Nora," pleads Uncle Frank. "Don'chee think Oi c'n make up me own moind? Why moost'chee intarfeer with..." "BECAUSE, ye bloody oold blatherskite," thunders Ma, "Oi doon't waant'chee t'DIE!" This brings Uncle Frank up short. "TWOICE Oi've haad t'start me loife ovarr again," exhales Ma. "And Oi DON'T plan t'do it a tharrd toime!" Uncle Frank blinks, as the words sink in. "We'rrr gettin' oold, Francis," continues Ma, her eyes watering. "You an' me, we'rr gettin' oold. An' Oi doon't know aboot you, but OI don't plan to get oold aloone." "No," nods Uncle Frank, his voice growing somber as he hands Ma a napkin. "Noo, Oi -- doon't waant'chee to. It's joost that...." Ma dabs her eyes with the napkin, and reaches for a countertop display box. "Take this," she commands, shoving the box across the counter. "Tootsie Rolls?" replies Uncle Frank. "Ivvry toime ye feel th' need f'ra cigarr," exhales Ma, "take yeself woon'a these. Take aaahf th' wrappar joost loike ye would with a cigarr, an' stick it in ye mooth joost loike ye would with a cigarr. Doon't chew aaahn it, joost leave it tharr an' soock aahn it." "Ooov aaahl th'..." sputters Uncle Frank before he is again brought up short by the depths of Ma's glare. "Thaat's a good oidear, Nora," he nods, acknowledging defeat. "Oi'll poot a few in me paaahcket here." Ma nods, and grants a small smile. "Oi'll poot th' baax," she nods, "aaahn ye bill.")

British 8th Army forces expanded their bridgehead across the Rubicon and drove up the Po Valley today as American 5th Army infantrymen met the Germans in a fierce battle to retain the rough and difficult Apennine Mountain sector. After clearing up the last enemy resistance south of the Rubicon, the 8th Army sent Canadian units to the outskirts of the town of Bellaria, on the Rimini-Ravenna coastal highway seven and a half miles north of Rimini. Other 8th Army units further inland approached the town of Savignano on the Rimini-Forli highway eight miles to the northwest of Rimini. Meanwhile, the Fifth Army made gains varying from half a mile to three miles despite a German counterattack which drove the Americans from the strategic spur of Mount Alafino Ridge.The main mass of that ridge, however, was still held by the Americans.

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_27_3.jpg

("Ain'nit disgustin'?" scowls Sally. "Awlese doity cawps?" "Terrible," sighs Alice, her mind elsewhere. "Not t'at t'eh was eveh too many t'at WASN' doity," Sally continues. "I remembeh when we haddat siddown strike at Woolwoit's in t'oity-seven'neh -- t'em doity cawps t'at come inneh t'break it up, draggin' us inta t'em pie wagons. I kicked one'v'm right inna kneecap, I guess I give HIM sump'n t't'ink about." "Yeh," nods Alice, absently. "An'nen'nat one we useta have 'roun' home'neh, t'at Flannehry. R'membeh right be'foeh you'n Krause got married, he run Krause in f'passin' countehfeit money? An' it awl toined out t'be a setup? Won'neh whateveh happ'nt'a him? I hoid t'ey sen'nim t' Staten Islan' a'someplace. Good riddance, I say, huh?" "Yeh," sighs Alice. "Hey," snaps Sally. "You awright? Sump'n awn ya mine?" "No," sighs Alice. "Jus' t'inkin' 'bout sump'n, t'at's awl." Sally shrugs but presses no further. "In fack," she resumes, "I t'ink t'on'y hones' cawp I eveh hoid of izzis guy useta wawk t'beat when I was a kid. Doyle, his name was. Oh, he gimme a little trouble now'an'nen, but it neveh stuck. An' him an' Ma an' Uncle Frank was good frien's, he'd hang aroun'a stoeh awla time. I t'ink he's a sawrgent now, upta Empire Boulevard precinc'. I ought go up t'eh some time an' say h'lo." Alice flicks a glance at her seatmate and gives a barely-perceptible headshake. "Yeh," she sighs.)

A purported ban on the recitation of the Lord's Prayer in New York City public schools was criticized yesterday by attorney Charles H. Tuttle, member of the Board of Higher Education. In a speech before a Kiwanis Club luncheon at the Towers Hotel, Tuttle pointed to a recent suggestion by assistant superintendant of schools Frederic Ernst that school officials should "tone down any quasi-religious excercises that may offend any group." "Are we so chained to the chariot of pure secularism," demanded Tuttle, "that the very heighs of literature must be banned?" Superintendand of Schools John Wade responded to Tuttle's remarks by noting that Mr. Ernst's suggestion was merely that, and that there exists no formal ban on the Lord's Prayer, or any prayer, in the city's schools. Tuttle had argued that "the Lord's Prayer is as non-sectarian as the stars on a June night."

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_27_14.jpg

(Well then tell Dewey to lay off his dog!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_27_14(1).jpg

(Back To Normalcy!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_27_19.jpg

(Yeah, yeah, Leo's coming back. GO BROWNS!!!!!)

Eighty-five percent of women members of the United Auto Workers want to keep their jobs after the war. A survey conducted by the Congress of Industrial Organizations found overwhelming support among the union's female membership for continuing to work once the war is over, even though women workers are generally at the bottom of seniority lists, and thus can expect to be the first to be laid off once war production in the nation's auto factories ramps down. Some of those responding to the poll declared that they found hard physical factory work far more interesting than the usual prewar feminine occupations.

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_27_25.jpg

(STAY OUT OF THIS MARY IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_27_25(1).jpg

("Bookies! And he NEVER goes to the library!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_27_25(2).jpg

("Yeah, this is nothing new, you can order these from the back pages of 'Short Wave Craft.'")

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_27_25(3).jpg

("Perhaps Richard liked an older woman for his wife." WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING RED?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_09_27_25(4).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER TWO HERO DOG IS ON THE JOB!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_09_27_482.jpg

"Not her shoulder."

Daily_News_1944_09_27_487.jpg

Sigh.

Daily_News_1944_09_27_510.jpg

Yes, it's Nye-na, not Nee-na. And didn't you guys used to be the Yacht Club Boys?

Daily_News_1944_09_27_524.jpg

"Um, HOW modest?"

Daily_News_1944_09_27_524(1).jpg

"Did you at least get their ration books first?"

Daily_News_1944_09_27_530.jpg

Low center of gravity.

Daily_News_1944_09_27_532.jpg

OK, somebody get a pressure hose and clean off this sidewalk. Oh, and while you're at it, arrest these guys, it'll save a lot of trouble later.

Daily_News_1944_09_27_533.jpg

Woo hoo, SKIPPED!

Daily_News_1944_09_27_535.jpg

Well, they do say money talks.

Daily_News_1944_09_27_537.jpg

Have this seat, sir -- right over the bomb bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust